INT-Oxidating Beverages?

L. Marcus

Re: INT-Oxidating Beverages?

I've thought about doing this way. Since INT drains and EGO drains doesn't really give the proper feeling of being drunk.

Mind Control (Based on Con), One Command: "You're drunk.", Cumulative, Lim: Doesn't work against Life Support. The number of dice depends on several factors.

At past CON, target is somewhat drunk, he does what he wants to do (with only slightly impaired judgement). -2 to all rolls that involve sound judgment or DEX rolls. Target may make a CON roll at -2 to appear sober. Tough soberity laws will say this is legally drunk. INT-2 to remember correctly what happened at this point.

At CON+10, target is drunk, he performs actions he wouldn't mind doing (with a little less judgement). -5 to all rolls that involve sound judgement or DEX rolls. Target may make a Acting roll at -5 to appear sober. This is legally drunk in most areas. INT-5 to remember correctly what happened at this point.

At CON+20, he start to do things that he would only do while drunk (oh, the roleplaying possibilities). Fails most rolls involving judgment, fails at most things that require a DEX roll. GM may give rolls at -5 if it goes against Psychological Limitations. Target can not convince anyone that he is sober.

Target won't remember clearly what happen, but will remember being drunk.

I leave CON+30 to the truely evil GMs.

We've roleplayed that too... no character I know of has taken that kind of power. It certainly makes for very fun sessions.

Becoming "Insta-Sober" requires a CON Roll, usually at a random minus, and certain situations like getting into a fight, or realizing you just started to hit on Grond's girlfriend.

More like a Transform to give the target some new Psych Lims (or remove some existing ones). It 'heals' back with time. Of course it's also OAF alcoholic beverage, Extra Time, and such. Someone else can stat it out exactly...I'm still a big number-shocked from having to create 8 major character write-ups in 2.5 hours yesterday. :doi:

. . . Sounds like quite a feat! What happened?

Writing them wasn't difficult (all praise Hero Designer! :hail: ) but getting them done, and done right, in 2.5 hours was the problem. (I was supposed to run my Champions game tonight [saturday night] and my friend, who's running her d20 Modern game, was supposed to run Friday night. She had a long, grinding day at work, though, and called that afternoon to let me know it would be a big favor to her if we could switch that around so I was running on Friday night. I said sure -- but that left me 2.5 hours to do character write-ups that I had scheduled to do on Saturday morning & afternoon. That's why it was just a 'crunch'. The biggest problem, from my perspective, was that a bunch of those characters needed to be Aztec pantheon-themed, and I didn't have time to do the research into names & portfolios and write the characters up. Thanks to some timely assistance from my fellow Herophiles who did yeoman's work in rearching those things for me, it all got done! :thumbup: )

The upshot: big fight at Area 51. Lord Omega's troops (our version of Dr. Destroyer) didn not get their hands on the advanced tech he was after. Our team (who's far from being at a level capable of dealing with Lord Omega directly) has now come to his attention. A very powerful senator who doesn't like metahumans (for complex reasons) let it be known in no uncertain terms that he got overruled in regards to what to do with us (we didn't have the proper security clearance to be in Area 51, to say nothing of proper authorization to open a spatial gateway in the middle of the base to get there) and that we have made an enemy. (That's apparently more important to him than us keeping Lord Omega from getting his hands on the stuff at Area 51.)

It was a massive fight that see-sawed back and forth several times as to who had the upper hand. In the end it was the teamwork of our group that took the day because the other group of major metanormals didn't support each other properly.

It also has several moments of high drama/tension; probably my favorite occured near the end of the fight. It involved our team's power-armor wearer, exhausted and battered, standing over the body of his fallen counterpart from the enemy, holding our team multiformer at bay at gunpoint to keep said multiformer from killing the downed enemy! (Our team multiformer as an Egyptian pantheon theme. The form she was in at the time was that of Set, and Set has no 'laughable' Code vs. Killing.) Smiling, Set assured Sentinel that Sentinel's first shot wouldn't take him down, and that one shot would be all that Sentinel would get before Set could kill Overseer. Sentinel assured Set that one shot would take Set down...even if it meant he had to overload and burn out every weapon system he had that was still operational. After a long moment of Mexican-standoff tension, Set yielded (in large part to the internal clamor of the other multiform personalities, who also had an 'issue' with Set killing a foe) and allowed his control of the body to slip away and was replaced by Scarab, about as level-headed and neutral a personality as there is in that multiformer.

Whew!

We've roleplayed that too... no character I know of has taken that kind of power. It certainly makes for very fun sessions.

Becoming "Insta-Sober" requires a CON Roll, usually at a random minus, and certain situations like getting into a fight, or realizing you just started to hit on Grond's girlfriend.

....sho, you reallly do have four arms **hic** I thought I was just seeing double....

I've done some research for you into this one :D

Thing about being drunk, right, thing about it, thing is, right, the very thing about it is that, well, you know, it effects everyone different, really. An' I'll tell y'nuvver thin', right? I will..it even, now lissen, right? It even effects the same person diff'r'nt depending on stuff like mood, right, and how much they've had, right?

I love you.

***bursts into tears***

Basically alcohol is a relaxant, a disinhibitor, and analgesic and, in sufficient quantity, a metabolic poison.

One way to model some of the effects would be with transform (unfortunately) but to up the activation rolls on psych lims/berserks and so on.

What you need, really, is a small multipower for alcohol, and each time you take some, you activate a slot at random.

You could have:

1. Recovery drain

2. STR aid

3. Cumulative MC: enraged

4. Cumulative MC: mellow

5. DEX drain (coupled with a side effect: psych lim: believes he can drive even better now)

6. No effect

7........you get the picture.

In addition you could have a gradual effect BODY drain with a reduced recovery rate so that you can only reover once per hour....

Really I think it is too much trouble to model acurately and I would either do a cumulative MC or a major transform (using the partial effect rules to the maximum), if I felt I needed a mechanic or there was a character who yould induce drunkenness in others...

Sean's pretty onto something there ... Alcohol is classified as an Inhibitor Drug, which roughly equates to "Whatever mood you're in it amplifies and prevents mood changes" most people think it's a depressant because most people drink when depressed. It's not - angry drunks tend to be, underneath it all, very angry people, happy drunks really just want to have a good time - even if they came into the bar sad it's what they want that's the uderlying mood.

And of course it makes you stupid so you do very stupid things. You're cognitive ability is pretty much done for.

And besides it's way more fun to roleplay staggering about the room than to just go "Ok. I have 10 less INT."

I don't feel like writing it up as a power, but this is how I'd do it:

AU = Alchoholic Unit

1-2 AU: CON Roll

3-5 AU: CON Roll -1

6-8 AU: CON Roll -2

9-12 AU: CON Roll -3

12-15 AU: CON Roll -4

For every 2 you fail your roll by counts as two failures

Failure Results:

1: -1 CON; -1 INT

2: -2 CON; -2 INT

3: -3 CON; -3 INT; -1 Overal Negative Skill Level

4: -4 CON; -4 INT; -1 DEX; -1 Overal Negative Skill Level

5: -5 CON; -5 INT; -2 DEX; -2 Overal Negative Skill Level

6: -6 CON; -6 INT; -3 DEX; -1 BODY; -2 Overal Negative Skill Level;

7: -7 CON; -7 INT; -4 DEX; -2 BODY; -3 Overal Negative Skill Level;

8: -8 CON; -8 INT; -5 DEX; -3 BODY; -3 Overal Negative Skill Level;

9: -9 CON; -9 INT; -6 DEX; -4 BODY; -4 Overal Negative Skill Level;

Beyond 9:

Every Failure drops CON by 1 and BODY by 5. Begin making second CON rolls to avoid taking 1d6 HKA, NND, Does BODY.

I'd probably do a sobering up thing as a Minor Transform. Make it one die with some Limitations and you don't have to worry about it being overly expensive; it just might take a few rolls to achieve its results.

Or there's the whole, "how do I create a barrel of water," build question. Since that one can be solved with (some kind of) Transform, I'd think the direct-sobering could as well. :)

As for the effects of alchohol, I wouldn't worry about it for the most part. I might even go with something as loose as a -X to all 3d6 rolls, with X depending on my understanding of how zonked the chracter is (or maybe let the player decide).