Space Opera redux: one year later

tunglashr

Re: Space Opera redux: one year later

Space Opera was one of the earliest SF RPG's, from the same era as Classic Traveller, it had its good and bad points, and wasnt really successful, it was produced by Fantasy Games Unlimited, while the game system wasnt very usable, there were a series of Sector Atlas books that covered the various warring governments and important planets in the sector. these books are still useful

if you want books with more planetary data than star hero goes into and pregenerated, there well worth a look

another SF RPG that did sector atlas type books was Battlelords of the 23rd Century, there are 2 books, No Mans Land, and Hells Kitchen, which have a lot of interesting ideas, there was supposed to be a Space Combat system, but thats never seen the light of day that I know of, and when I asked if they needed playtesters or any other help the response I got back amounted to go away, so I did and doubt I will go back, they do have a book called Lock and Load that makes for a fun toy catalog to borrow ideas from

Alright, this is something I've been meaning to ask.

What exactly IS Space Opera?

A remarkably clunky RPG from the 1980's, but with some interesting background information. There are some notes on it here:

http://www.space-opera.org/GB/

http://www.space-opera.org/GB/space-opera/index.htm

It is amusing to read the equipment lists and try to figure out which SF novels the various items were taken from. The "punch gun" and "Power Assisted Personal Armor (PAPA)" from Keith Laumer, lens-shaped psionic focuses from Doc Smith's Lensman series, several species of light sabers, tangleweb guns from Andre Norton, the list goes on and on.

A remarkably clunky RPG from the 1980's, but with some interesting background information. There are some notes on it here:

http://www.space-opera.org/GB/

http://www.space-opera.org/GB/space-opera/index.htm

It is amusing to read the equipment lists and try to figure out which SF novels the various items were taken from. The "punch gun" and "Power Assisted Personal Armor (PAPA)" from Keith Laumer, lens-shaped psionic focuses from Doc Smith's Lensman series, several species of light sabers, tangleweb guns from Andre Norton, the list goes on and on.

The good thing is, they recognized it. They actually mention lensmen by name in many places. They have a planet called Hoth in a Star Sector Atlas, and a complete Dune ripoff as well, including Fremen and Spice.

I cant find a reference to a punch gun anywhere in the book, where did you see that?

I cant find a reference to a punch gun anywhere in the book' date=' where did you see that?[/quote']

In the equipment section. A concealable weapon, often shaped like a cigarette lighter. Held in the fist, as one makes a punching motion, the trigger is pressed and a droplet of highly compress liquid expands into an invisible knockout punch of gas.

In the equipment section. A concealable weapon' date=' often shaped like a cigarette lighter. Held in the fist, as one makes a punching motion, the trigger is pressed and a droplet of highly compress liquid expands into an invisible knockout punch of gas.[/quote']

Yeah, I remember that little SOB from a player standpoint -- great assassination weapon if you catch somebody from behind on a maglev platform at the right moment.

My personal favorite was the coagulator. :)

Matt

Ok long time lurker... delurking. I play WHRPGv2 with Jason (tunglashr) and decided to register to add my comments ;) as I am a big OLD (just turned 40) fan of Space Opera also. I ran it WAY back in the days of early High School and we loved it...

Other things that were 'included' in Space Opera... you have the Transhumans (Vulcan's in everything but name), the FORCE aspect of Psychic powers, Planetary Guns on some 'Ice Planet' (for us old school Battlestar Galatica fans), etc.

All this talk has made me dig out my rules and many of the Altas... good stuff!!! Chuncky and illogical as heck BUT still good reading