Space Opera redux: one year later

tunglashr

Last year I came around here and spoke briefly about my big idea of converting the Space Opera universe to Hero. Eventually I got around to it and early this year we started playing. Because of my personal low combat style of GMing a lot of the actual conversion stuff never really mattered much. Now, however, we have been using it a lot more and I want some feedback from experienced Herophiles.

One problem I have seen with science fiction roleplaying is the different tech levels. It doesnt make sense to just jack the damage up higher and higher for tech as it increases, so I came up with a work around. I make lower tech armor automatically Ablative vs higher tech weapons, Body/Stun ablative if the tech level is two higher. Higher tech armor counts lower tech weapons as reduced penetration.

Another thing I dont particularly like is that no matter how big your gun is, you act on your Dex. I gave weapons a lightning reflexes level that adjusts how easy they are to maneuver and aim, it ranges from -4 to +4.

I also modelled the starship combat after theirs, counting the ships computer Mk as the OCV/DCV of the ship itself, with an adjustment for size.

On a slightly related note, I made a 4 armed buggy kind of dude and bought 2 weapon fighting for both HTH and Ranged, does this mean he can attack twice in HTH and fire in one phase? He also has full ambidexterity and 360 degree vision.

Id love to hear thoughts on if these ideas can be abused, or if there might be a better way to accomplish this stuff.

Re: Space Opera redux: one year later

the idea of modifying dex and or actions by the model of computer is also used in High Guard for traveller, and it works just fine.

the lightning reflexes idea in my games varies on the weapon, some weapons I simulate with extra time for slow recharge or powerups.

one nice thing about Space Opera is the malfunction tables which are quite detailed. we also use them for critical hits to systems, based on the idea from GURPS Space, with 10% being a minor, 20% major 40% devastating

these are just some initial thoughts, lemme think on more

how are you handling planet generation?

Planet generation is really system independent, so I havent worried about it. So far I have only used those which have occurred in the Star Sector Atlas I, it gives me a kernal of an idea and I can run with it. Its pretty cheesy, but the Space Opera universe works well enough.

Another thing I dont particularly like is that no matter how big your gun is, you act on your Dex. I gave weapons a lightning reflexes level that adjusts how easy they are to maneuver and aim, it ranges from -4 to +4.

Wait...I think you're saying here that guys with bigger guns go later than guys with smaller guns. That's what you mean, right?

Otherwise I'm confused.

Wait...I think you're saying here that guys with bigger guns go later than guys with smaller guns. That's what you mean, right?

Otherwise I'm confused.

Yep, you got it. Blast Pistol gives you +2 Lightning Reflexes, while a Laser HMG is -4 Lightning Reflexes.

In reality, this is why we have carbines. They combine rifle firepower with greater ease of movement, with a small sacrifice in accuracy at range. In RPGs, this is rarely modelled, which frustrates me. Space Opera itself does it with melee weapons, I just went one step further and included ranged weapons.

Yep, you got it. Blast Pistol gives you +2 Lightning Reflexes, while a Laser HMG is -4 Lightning Reflexes.

In reality, this is why we have carbines. They combine rifle firepower with greater ease of movement, with a small sacrifice in accuracy at range. In RPGs, this is rarely modelled, which frustrates me. Space Opera itself does it with melee weapons, I just went one step further and included ranged weapons.

Carbines also tend to be much easier to maintain. And cheaper. But I see where you're coming from now. For some reason the wording of it originally confused me and I was thinking you were going to let guys with big guns attack first.

so does the 3m flechette pistol count as a big gun?

thats probably my all time favorite typo in a gaming book right up there with the "Detect Meal" sword ability from the original Greyhawk

heres an error I caught while looking at Volume 2 of the Spacecraft book, they say a volumetric ton is 30 cubic meters, its actually 14

although the displacement tonnage listings make conversions easy, just double the Dt to get # of hero hexes

while digging through some notes on the mixed Space Opera/Traveller campaign I was going to run a couple of years ago, I found a bit about having talked to one of hte creators of space opera who still hangs out on the traveller boards, I had planned on running a traveller campaign set in the Merchantile League of Space Opera, and he gave his ok for doing conversions, I wonder if its worth contacting him again about doing some Space Opera/Hero conversions

while digging through some notes on the mixed Space Opera/Traveller campaign I was going to run a couple of years ago' date=' I found a bit about having talked to one of hte creators of space opera who still hangs out on the traveller boards, I had planned on running a traveller campaign set in the Merchantile League of Space Opera, and he gave his ok for doing conversions, I wonder if its worth contacting him again about doing some Space Opera/Hero conversions[/quote']

I have spoken to all but one of the Space Opera creators because I was so insane I wanted to buy the rights a few years back. They were all willing, but expressed reservation because Scott Bizar, who owns FGU, is basically a jerk (my words). They didnt think there was any chance he would sell, and even though he doesnt really have a claim he would take it to court. In any case, the writers are ok with this stuff. Im finally typing everything up, so I might even post what I have here if anyone wants it.

On a slightly related note, I made a 4 armed buggy kind of dude and bought 2 weapon fighting for both HTH and Ranged, does this mean he can attack twice in HTH and fire in one phase? He also has full ambidexterity and 360 degree vision.

Not sure if anyone answered this question. To fire more than once you have to perform a Rapid Fire move. To attack in HTH combat more than once you do a Sweep. All of the add-ons that you mention above affect the penalties which occur when performing Rapid Fire and Sweep. For example, Two Weapon Fighting Ranged reduced the OCV penalties drastically. It does not remove the full phase or the DCV penalty.

Hope this helps... :)

Not sure if anyone answered this question. To fire more than once you have to perform a Rapid Fire move. To attack in HTH combat more than once you do a Sweep. All of the add-ons that you mention above affect the penalties which occur when performing Rapid Fire and Sweep. For example, Two Weapon Fighting Ranged reduced the OCV penalties drastically. It does not remove the full phase or the DCV penalty.

Hope this helps... :)

I think I had this figured out already, but it seems the point is missed here. I was seeing it all incorrectly. To answer my own question, no you still cant perform a melee and ranged attack in the same phase. But can you perform sweeps with multiple weapons? A 4 armed, amibidextrous, 360 degree vision mantis may be able to do so, but Im not sure if the rules allow it.

I definately want to see whatever you want to post' date=' I am really tempted to take some of the ships from the seldons compendiums and revise them for Traveller and or Hero[/quote']

Strangely I dont see Traveller as better than Space Opera. Im probably the only one. I will post my stuff this weekend when its all complete in .doc form. But you may be disappointed, I made a point to not convert ships, and instead to make a new ship combat system so I can use their ships as written, and interface with Hero stats and such.

Hiya Tung!

I am a long-suffering Space Opera geek who would truly appreciate anything you wished to present on the subject here. :) In fact, I still have the rules (though a distinct lack of record sheet masters) sitting on my game shelf, waiting patiently for the right group of players to come along.

Hiya Tung!

I am a long-suffering Space Opera geek who would truly appreciate anything you wished to present on the subject here. :) In fact, I still have the rules (though a distinct lack of record sheet masters) sitting on my game shelf, waiting patiently for the right group of players to come along.

I should have the conversions up here this week. I forgot to email it to myself from my work email so I havent finished it yet.

Yeah I work on it at work sometimes, so sue me!

Anyway, on a much larger note, I did a Hero/Space Opera mish-mash space combat system, and my roommate and I are programming it in php/mysql so it can be played as a web game. It really isnt that hard, but once its up anyone should be able to log in and play starship combat versus anyone else who is also online. It will have a ranking system and everything.

Keep bugging me about it until its done.

Conversions, finally. This is by no means complete, but it gives a good idea of the basics of what Im doing. I will be making a separate doc for starship combat.

I am also including an hdc of a klackon warrior that I have used. This is the veteran warrior. In my campaign klackons are feared by all, but in reality they arent much of a threat because they just dont reproduce at the same speed as bugs. On an individual scale, they are much more dangerous, however.

Hey Tung,

You have done some fantastic preliminary work on this! I especially appreciate the weapons conversions, though the starship combat outline seems to be genuinely useable as well. I can't use my Hero Designer software at work, but I plan on doing a download and burn to look over the Klackon Warrior at home. :) Thanks for making the effort! You have been repped (for what it's worth) from me.

Matt "Having-gaming-flashbacks-as-I-look-over-this-stuff" Frisbee

Hey Tung,

You have done some fantastic preliminary work on this! I especially appreciate the weapons conversions, though the starship combat outline seems to be genuinely useable as well. I can't use my Hero Designer software at work, but I plan on doing a download and burn to look over the Klackon Warrior at home. :) Thanks for making the effort! You have been repped (for what it's worth) from me.

Matt "Having-gaming-flashbacks-as-I-look-over-this-stuff" Frisbee

Hey, Im glad you appreciate it. I did notice I forgot some basic stuff, like 1 inch =25LS and the ECM value of a StarTorp is its OCV/DCV.

Some of the conversion stuff is not exactly accurate, Im not sure why I decided Fusion guns are tech 9, in actuality no weapons are higher than 8 TL. In any case, it works out well this way.

If any notices any mistakes, please point them out to me.

Thanks BTW

Wow talk about great timing! I love Space Opera, but I lost all of my books years ago and just figured they were history....

Then this thread starts....

And yesterday my mom and dad brought me 6 cases of old books they had been storing for me for the last 15 years....AND you guessed it, there were all of my Space Opera books...the complete set (I owned every supplement published). So now I am really excited.

I have downloaded your work and will provide feedback shortly...:dyn

Wow talk about great timing! I love Space Opera, but I lost all of my books years ago and just figured they were history....

Then this thread starts....

And yesterday my mom and dad brought me 6 cases of old books they had been storing for me for the last 15 years....AND you guessed it, there were all of my Space Opera books...the complete set (I owned every supplement published). So now I am really excited.

I have downloaded your work and will provide feedback shortly...:dyn

Okay, now I'm genuinely envious. I liked this system, but never could find anyone dedicated enough to learn the mechanics. *sigh* Good luck in your campaign. :)

Matt "Still-pining-for-the-old-school-games" Frisbee

Okay, now I'm genuinely envious. I liked this system, but never could find anyone dedicated enough to learn the mechanics. *sigh* Good luck in your campaign. :)

Matt "Still-pining-for-the-old-school-games" Frisbee

The mechanics are terrible. There are different systems for each kind of thing that you could do. It was actually designed by 3 people in different parts of the world who didnt communicate with each other during the development process. They sent their pieces and the whole thing was stuck together. Thats why its so poorly edited as well.

I have been playing this Hero revision for a while and its certainly a lot smoother, and it still has a similar feel because its all in the universe.

The biggest problem with the original was the lack of organization during character generation. If youre really interested in actually playing the other game I can send you the skills reorganization I did, it really streamlines char gen and makes the skill stuff make a lot more sense.

I got pretty obsessive back in the day...