Shared DNPCs & DNPCs with superpowers

bigdamnhero

Two questions, one practical and one more theoretical:

1. How would you work the points if more than one PC share the same DNPC? It seems like that should lower the point value of the DNPC somewhat, since there are more heroes to protect him/her, but how much lower? Or would you even allow this?

2. What are your thoughts on DNPCs who have superpowers of their own? I'm thinking mostly of low-level (<20 AP) powers, and ones that are not terribly useful in combat: precognition maybe, or "transform loaves into fishes" or whatever. How much power can/should a DNPC have without stretching the -5 points for "useful skills" too far?

bigdamnhero

"I'll be in my bunk."

Re: Shared DNPCs & DNPCs with superpowers

Well, if a character has "group" DNPCs, he gets +5 points for every x2 DNPCs. How about -5 points for every x2 heroes that have that same DNPC?

A DNPC is worth 20 points.

If 2 heroes have that same DNPC, the DNPC is worth 15 points to each.

If 4 heroes have that same DNPC, the DNPC is worth 10 points to each.

And so on.

Oh, and on the other one:

A Power isn't the same as a Skill (most of the time, anyway) so I don't think I'd use that modifier for a DNPC with a minor superpower. Technically I suppose you'd have to go with "slightly less powerful" than the hero (base 0 points) but that seems a bit stingy if the hero is 350 points and the DNPC is (say) 25 points. Honestly, I'd "wing" it, and probably assign the same value modifier as the "useful skills" one, but would probably call it "DNPC has a minor but useful non-combat Power".

I've always use the Power Level of a DNPC as relative to the Power Level of the PC. I've got one PC in a game where they have half a dozen 150pt DNPC that are still considered incompetant due to the PC being over 400pts and the situations that involve their interaction when the DNPC actually becomes someone the PC does need to save.

I had a player's Normal, 8- DNPC gain superpowers, and eventually join the team, becoming an "As Powerful, 14-" DNPC.

The look on the player's face when he read the BlueBook note when his brother revealed his secret identity was worth those disad points all by itself.

1. How would you work the points if more than one PC share the same DNPC? It seems like that should lower the point value of the DNPC somewhat' date=' since there are more heroes to protect him/her, but how much lower? Or would you even allow this? [/quote']

Instead of lowering the points for the disadvantage you could increase the threat. So if, for example, the DNPC is held captive then the opposition can be increased to match two heroes instead of one.

My two cents' worth:

The final yardstick by which this sort of thing is measured is the first rule of disadvantages (and I'm paraphrasing here):

A disadvantage which doesn't limit or affect the character is some way isn't worth any points!

If a DNPC still needs saving, still gets into situations which complicate the character's life and still is someone the character cares about, then that person is worth points. That being said, while I like the suggestion of reduced price for DNPC's with groups of heroes to protect them, consider the disadvantage as applied to say a base or vehicle. Does the DNPC disadvantage cost get reduced because it is a superhero group's vehicle or base? And the answer is no. So, it's really not a matter of how many heroes there are to save a DNPC, it's a matter of each hero seeing to the safety of that DNPC, worrying about him or her when their minds should be focused on current crisis, etc.

My own thought is not to lower the points because the odds of that DNPC are going to increase anyways. After all, if Karen Franks, the plucky NPC reporter is Awesome Man's girlfriend, but also Ultra Woman's sister, and both have her as a DNPC, if one rolls the 8 or less (or 11 or less or whatever) and the other doesn't, it doesn't mean it doesn't end up causing both to act. Two chances at 8 or less are going to come up more often than one person's 11 or less, so the DNPC is going to be a problem more often.

What's more, if Powerband is another PC, but without Karen as a DNPC, one would hope he'd still do the heroic thing and help save her anyways. He may have less personal reason to care, but he's still helping.

Not sure I'm saying this well, but basically I think it all balances out in the end, and a shared DNPC can often provide a new connection between the PCs so you might not want to penalize them for it.

But that's me, and I can see the other side as well

EDIT: And I see Matt has already beat me to it, and done a better job of it to boot :)