What skills does Denise Dumont have?

Mark Rand

Re: What skills does Denise Dumont have?

Since I have never used the Champions as PCs in a campaign, I've never had to stat her out.

Off the top of my head, things I would put on the sheet for such a character are:

* Contacts of various varieties (PRIMUS, the FBI, local city authorities, etc. -- it's her job to talk to these people all day on behalf of the team, so by now she should have most of the relevant phone #'s on speed-dial and the people on the other end should be used to hearing her voice)

* Bureaucracy at a high level is a must, of course -- it's her primary function

* KS: Superhuman World, 12- or thereabouts -- she's not an intelligence analyst by any means, but she's been doing this job long enough to have familiarity with all the big names involved in it

* KS: Federal Law, 12- or thereabouts

* KS: Federal Regulations, 14- or thereabouts

This is her primary job, knowing what all the bureaucratic restrictions and requirements that the Champions have to comply with (FAA regs for the jet, arrest & evidence procedures for dealing with supervillains, civil rights, etc.) and advising the Champions on how to comply with them. Along with this would come a basic knowledge of the relevant federal laws, although for a really expert legal opinion, she'd call the relevant kind of expert at the Department of Justice.

And, of course, Subject to Orders and Watched, representing that a) she's in a government chain of command, and B) said chain of command will be reviewing her work at least occasionally.

I'd hazard a guess at yes' date=' she probably has a handgun. A pistol would make the most sense.[/quote']

Errr, why?

If the liason is supposed to go into the field with the Champions, then either they should be: a) a trained PRIMUS or MARS agent in full battle gear, or B) sent for a psychological evaluation. Seriously. Normals should not continually walk into superfights without Turtle armor or equivalent, and/or some 200+ point agent training.

What on Earth is she going to do with a normal handgun? Defend herself against supervillains with it? *cough* Defend herself against normal street crime with it? Precisely what kind of normal street crime is she going to find inside Homestead?

If Denise Dumont was a Federal law enforcement agent, she'd logically come equipped with a sidearm (and several other PS'es, KS'es, etc. that I haven't listed here). OTOH, as I understand it, she's only a civil servant. She is no more likely to be armed than the Mayor's secretary is.

Errr, why?

If the liason is supposed to go into the field with the Champions, then either they should be: a) a trained PRIMUS or MARS agent in full battle gear, or B) sent for a psychological evaluation. Seriously. Normals should not continually walk into superfights without Turtle armor or equivalent, and/or some 200+ point agent training.

What on Earth is she going to do with a normal handgun? Defend herself against supervillains with it? *cough* Defend herself against normal street crime with it? Precisely what kind of normal street crime is she going to find inside Homestead?

If Denise Dumont was a Federal law enforcement agent, she'd logically come equipped with a sidearm (and several other PS'es, KS'es, etc. that I haven't listed here). OTOH, as I understand it, she's only a civil servant. She is no more likely to be armed than the Mayor's secretary is.

Cause I said so.

*Glares Ominously*

:D

Just so you know, although Denise is liaison to the Champions, Millennium City's premier team, there are going to be changes from what's in the CU.

For one, Dr. Destroyer didn't level Detroit. He leveled my home town of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania instead.

I've come up with what I think is a suitable background for Denise. She's from Chicago and graduated from Harvard Law School. She spent a few years working for the Department of Justice before transferring to the DOSPA.

Denise was on the swim team in her high school and at Harvard. She likes hiking and, while at Harvard, learned to ride a horse at the farm owned by one of her classmate's family. She has occasionally ridden in Washington, D.C., at the Rock Creek Park Stables.

• 1 month later...

It seems to me that Denise is the kind of character that could be assigned to any team as its liaison.

One other idea I had was having John Masters as the liaison with Denise as his assistant, a former CIA operative with experience in black-bag jobs. She was a perfect partner for the team'stechnical manager, who was also a ninja.