Not Quite another Killing Attack Thread

Christougher

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Not Quite another Killing Attack Thread

For all those that think that a killing attack is underpriced this further example.

Go into your garage and turn on your circular saw.

Put your arm under the blade.

Cut off your arm.

You just took "only" about 3 body. Keep that in mind as you go into shock when nobody can make a paramedic roll and stop the bleeding.

If you are stupid enough to actually do this, thank you for thinning the gene pool. :P

See? This is why we need to fix the Bleeding Rules. Too many stupid people are surviving idiotic self mutilation. After all, if the bleeding stops on its own after a couple of Turns without likely doing any more Body damage, we'll have an awful lot of armless idiots left alive in the world. ;)

Actually, thinking about it, you would really need to do damage equal to your BODY characteristic to sever a limb, so for the average person that would be 8 BODY.

Hmm....

I believe it is your Body either before or after the Hit Location modifier, so you are right that the actual value may be different, but I think it is still only 4 actual applied Body damage for your average punk with 8 Body.

In the real world, most deaths from bullets or blades occur from exsanguination (blood loss), shock (often caused by the blood loss), or a combination of both. So to reflect "realistic" BODY damage from Killing Attacks, use of the Bleeding rules would seem to be a good place to start.

I would modify the rules for Killing attacks thusly: No KA does Knockback, and a character who takes BODY from a KA will continue to lose BODY from bleeding until his wound is bandaged. If it's severe enough (negative BODY) stopping the bleeding will take a successful Paramedics roll at the usual penalties.

In the real world, most deaths from bullets or blades occur from exsanguination (blood loss), shock (often caused by the blood loss), or a combination of both. So to reflect "realistic" BODY damage from Killing Attacks, use of the Bleeding rules would seem to be a good place to start.

I would modify the rules for Killing attacks thusly: No KA does Knockback, and a character who takes BODY from a KA will continue to lose BODY from bleeding until his wound is bandaged. If it's severe enough (negative BODY) stopping the bleeding will take a successful Paramedics roll at the usual penalties.

The way I thought the bleeding rules worked (until I read them properly) was that you roll 1d6, or several 1d6 and take BODY as normal (1 on 2-5, 2 on 6) for each die, and if a die comes up as a 1 then you remove IT, but the other dice keep bleeding each turn until they are treated or come up ones. You take stun as rolled.

That is not how the rules work, but it feels a lot more like how reality works.

To modify things a bit:

I'd probably be quite generous in many cases - if you are applying pressure, for instance, then you might take additional BODY only on a 6, but that would be per wound, so at best you could only cover 2 of them on yourself. If you do come up 6 and lose a BODY you lose 3 stun.

I'd also be inclined to say that stun damage from bleeding does not recover until you are re-hydrated, or heal the BODY damage. you could probably heal the damage (BODY and STUN) very quickly if you get a blood transfusion - so long as the wounds are closed, bleeding damage would be healed as quickly as you could get new blood into you.

I'd also say that you could not die outright from a hit anywhere but the head or vitals - you just take BODY damage and rely on the bleeding rules and/or the deterioration rules (-1 BODY per turn when BODY is negative) to actually kill you, so, for instance, a normal with 8 BODY who gets hit by The Eviscerator and takes a 20 BODY chest wound won't die until the end of the round when he loses a BODY through deterioration and/or bloodloss.

Of course you might just want to skip the finale in a case like that....

See? This is why we need to fix the Bleeding Rules. Too many stupid people are surviving idiotic self mutilation. After all' date=' if the bleeding stops on its own after a couple of Turns without likely doing any more Body damage, we'll have an awful lot of armless idiots left alive in the world. ;)[/quote']

What do you mean we'll HAVE an awful lot? Other than the armless part I think we have plenty of idiots out there. Even more sad is they frequently get paid to be stupid then coddled by friends for their tragedy.

Bring back natural selection I say. We spent the last several thousand years making ourselves weaker and less self sufficient. If we could just get the cosmic GM or GMs to make a change to the bleeding rules... :eg:

What do you mean we'll HAVE an awful lot? Other than the armless part I think we have plenty of idiots out there. Even more sad is they frequently get paid to be stupid then coddled by friends for their tragedy.

Bring back natural selection I say. We spent the last several thousand years making ourselves weaker and less self sufficient. If we could just get the cosmic GM or GMs to make a change to the bleeding rules... :eg:

You do realize that natural selection would have gotten you years ago ... probably around the time you had to be air lifted after a certain skiing accident.

And we've only gotten good at saving ourselves in the last couple hundred years - not thousand.

You do realize that natural selection would have gotten you years ago ... probably around the time you had to be air lifted after a certain skiing accident.

And we've only gotten good at saving ourselves in the last couple hundred years - not thousand.

Oh sure bring that up...:rolleyes:

Good at saving ourselves yes, but think about the changes:

Lost body hair, softer skin, no claws, smaller teeth. All so we can trade it for our oversized brain.

Wait that lets us play Hero. Maybe its a good trade after all.:thumbup:

Meh, there's plenty of things in nature that have "weak" features .. I give you the Budgerie or Parakeet ... small tennis ball sized snack, no real claws or other means of defence, well except that a small flock can number 10-30 thousand.

And worms. Worms don't even have crunchy bits.

your arguement for "weakness" is pretty weak (no pun intended) really .. nature has plenty of examples of similar situations. No - it's the environment your in that will determine levels of "strength" and we're one of the only species that is found EVERYWHERE making us appear relatively weak compared to fauna adapated to the climate.

nature and evolution are advocates of:

Form Follows Function

or

Reason From Special Effects.

Yeah, but does the parakeet get extra speed for free simply because there are always a bunch of em? I think not-they actually have to have their friends with them. Besides, we all know how deadly a murder of ravens can be. I wonder if they looked through time to Jessica to get the name for a bunch of ravens. Hrrrmmmm.....

Now I'm way off topic. :eg:

Yeah, but does the parakeet get extra speed for free simply because there are always a bunch of em? I think not-they actually have to have their friends with them. Besides, we all know how deadly a murder of ravens can be. I wonder if they looked through time to Jessica to get the name for a bunch of ravens. Hrrrmmmm.....

Now I'm way off topic. :eg:

Murder of Crows

Unkindness of Ravens.

get it strait.

A Quick Corvid List

Murder of Crows

Unkindness; Constable; Conspiracy of Ravens

Parliment; Building of Rooks

Tiding of Magpies

Party; Scold; Band of Jays

Chattering of Coughs

Jackdaws and Nutcrackers are simply Flocks

Rookery can be used, if rarely, for Rooks, Crows, Ravens, and Magpies.

any questions?

A Quick Corvid List

Murder of Crows

Unkindness; Constable; Conspiracy of Ravens

Parliment; Building of Rooks

Tiding of Magpies

Party; Scold; Band of Jays

Chattering of Coughs

Jackdaws and Nutcrackers are simply Flocks

Rookery can be used, if rarely, for Rooks, Crows, Ravens, and Magpies.

any questions?

Hummingbirds?

OK, forget I asked....

This thread has gone from...

Not Quite another Killing Attack Thread

to

Most Definitely Not Another Killing Attack Thread
:doi:

I am enjoying it though... please continue.

I do think that a large group of flunkies or henchmen should be called a "kludge" though! :thumbup:

A team of superheroes.

A sinister of villains.

A kludge of flunkies.

Yah... we need to work on the "superheroes" one. It's pretty lame.