[Campaign Log] Sophia's Barbarians

Super Squirrel

Re: [Campaign Log] Sophia's Barbarians

Neutral, selfishly motivated. My character has a pretty strong sense of honor that forbids her from committing murder and such, but the other barbarian in the party does not. He actually has very lax morals (and took a disad that spells that out). My character chalks that up to 'the kind of person you meet in cities' and doesn't pay him much attention.

Which, I gotta say, of all the party motivations to GM, neutral is the toughest, and Josh is doing a bang-up job of keeping us all together, on task and motivated to continue our missions.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The 26th of Founder's Month

Kessa and Sophia go to Lowtown for Sophia's dirt nap. Unfortunately the cemetary in question is filled with starvelings so they end up going to Uphill East. After getting her recharge, the group heads back to down.

The 29th of Founder's Month

A representative from Underfoot Pass comes and hands a letter that has a list of the names of all leaders for the surviving parties from the first round of the contest. Of the names, Grothgar is listed on there. There is also the name Bashil circled. The group see that Bashil is killed in order for the group to advance on. The representative will remain with the group so that he can report should Sophia be killed. When there are four or less leaders, this round of the contest will end.

Sophia summons a Knower of Secrets who told them that Bashil is in the northern end of Lowtown. The Knower of Secrets knows that Bashil's specialty is stealth and that he has three people working with him. The group heads to the Bawling Bard. She doesn't know where Bashil is but believes by contacting an opposing gang, they should be able to find Bashil.

They find a Starveling in the area of Bashil's gang. They give him 2 bits and learn of a tavern that Bashil is a regular at when he needs to relax. They go to the tavern and wait, hoping for Bashil to show up. While they wait, Carmen has several drinks.

One of the members of the group comes in and they overhear him tell the bartender that Bashil and his group confronted their target and were wiped out. After getting clarification from him, the group heads out to to Gibberish to try and find Grothgar and help protect him. As they approach the Abyzinian Night, they realize that melee is already underway. Grothgar is being attacked by archers from a building rooftop.

The men Grothgar had originally hired are trying to get to the archers. However, as Sophia's group approaches, a man with lots of tattoos sees Carmen. He tells the men to leave the Archers be and instead kill Carmen as he is where the real money can be found. The man with tattoos is confronted by Carmen. He explains that Carmen, his chieftan placed a 100 coin bounty on Carmen's head.

A complex four-way battle commenses. The archers mortally wound Grothgar. Sophia's summoned revenant slowly takes down the archers. Kessa works on picking off the soldiers. Carmen squares off with the tattooed warrior who tries to flee, only to be killed by Kessa. Also added into the mix, supernatural hands appear from the darkness and attack Sophia. Sophia is knocked out but survives as the creature seemingly vanishes during combat.

After battle, they help make Grothgar comfortable. As he is dying, they learn that the dagger needs to be returned to a palace in Freehold within three months time from its arrival in the city before things will begin to get bad. Grothgar passes away shortly after. They use Grothgar's money on him to pay for a funeral and see that he is buried with all of his possesions. However, Kessa takes a signet ring from Grothar's pocket and saves it in case they need it later.

The group heads back to Uphill East for a dirt nap as they prepare for things to come. They learn one of the groups killed off not only their target but two others. There are only three groups remaining for the final round of the competition.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm . . .

Okay, a quick recap: We won the tournament. One of the remaining groups approached us to say she was dropping out, so long as we let her check out the dagger when the tourney was over. She sent a doppelganger, or something. We fought giant snakes that a sorceress was controlling, until my character beheaded the sorceress. Then there was much rejoicing about our winning and feasts n stuff.

In this week's game, Sophia took another dirt nap and we got more skeletons for her (we'd lost a lost of pieces the previous week in the big fight), and we got hired on as bodyguards for a caravan. My character negotiated for higher pay, then we set off on horseback.

The employer mentioned that there was a huge reward for turning in necromancers to Sophia, and that he hadn't told his men what she was, and wouldn't turn her in, himself. So a consensus was reached that it would be best if they didn't figure it out. When we were ambushed, Sophia stayed to the back, with Kessa mostly protecting her, while Carmen used his awesome riding skills to kick butt. One bandit stayed a ways away, firing arrows at our employer, and Sophia managed to cast Chill From the Grave at him twice (though the second one missed). When the close-up bandits were all killed, he rode off.

And we reached the city of Sincerre without further problems, after Kessa did some patching up of injured allies, and bodies were looted and such.

• 3 weeks later...

This game IS still running, but we're just falling behind with writeups. I can't tell you about the session before last, though, because Josh is submitting it as a Digital Hero article.

This week, we had some treasure to convert into coin, thanks to outclassed bandits and said adventure. We spent part of the session trading some items for coin. My character's bargaining abilities came in handy, and we made a tidy sum. We also returned the easily-identifiable works of art to the family they orginated from, asking no money in return. This got our foot in the door for some lucrative future jobs.

Unable to find any work to pass the time until we leave (on a quest to return the dagger to Kor, clear on the other side of the world), we headed back home.

At the top of the stairs going to the second floor was a canine of some kind, with fiery eyes and a mouth filled with flame. When we got closer, we could see that Akivasha, the necromancer who'd asked to study the dagger, was also at the top of the stairs, clutching the dagger and surrounded by a magical barrier.

We killed two of the hellhounds, but she summoned two more before we knocked her out for a nice, long nap. Then one of the hellhounds breathed fire on Sophia, knocking her out and sending her rolling down the stairs. This sent my character in an Enrage, and she cleaved the hound while Carmen, the other barbarian, took care of the one remaining.

There was a moment of tension when Carmen picked up the dagger from Akivasha, and had a voice whisper in his mind how much money he could get for the dagger, if only he went to the right source. He refused to hand it to Sophia (who was healed by then), so Kessa took a swing at him. When he deflected that (Josh bent the rules to keep Carmen alive), Sophia used her magic to possess him and MADE him give her the dagger.

She, too, had a moment of raw greed as the thing whispered to her of all the knowledge it could impart, if she only studied it further. Kessa noticed the change in expression and was made uneasy, but Sophia put it back into its locked box.

We then decided we'd leave sooner rather than later to return the dagger, lest it cause more trouble for us, and the session ended there.

Our route to return the dagger, meanwhile, is going to take us right into my character's tribe's territory, so I've been coming up with background on the Iceraven clan. Josh thinks I should submit all these ideas as a Digital Hero article, but I say that would take too much research and work, and I'd rather just post it here on Hero Games for all to see. Does anyone here have any input, advice or ideas on that?

To give you a vague idea, it's a bizarre twist on Amazonian culture.

{snip}

Josh thinks I should submit all these ideas as a Digital Hero article, but I say that would take too much research and work, and I'd rather just post it here on Hero Games for all to see. Does anyone here have any input, advice or ideas on that?

To give you a vague idea, it's a bizarre twist on Amazonian culture.

Well, I'd like to see it, and since I can't see buying DH for one article (not on my income!), and I'm sure I'm not the only one with such an opinion, I humbly request you post your ideas here, for everyone's edification. :)

I don't want to know - and yes, Sophia does need to be taken down a peg, as she has been getting a big head of late.

They have been wreaking lots of havoc, and haven't had much in the way of consquences.

And as a player, I just don't want my character to die at this point - beyond that I'm really interested to see what is in store on Sunday.

And as a player' date=' I just don't want my character to die at this point - beyond that I'm really interested to see what is in store on Sunday.[/quote']

"....death [that] awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

:D