[Campaign Log] Sophia's Barbarians

Super Squirrel

Re: [Campaign Log] Sophia's Barbarians

First, the Favor:

"You are to go to the Foreign District outside of Elweir with either Kessa or Carmen. You will go to the Slave Market where you will pay to have yourself marked as slave property of the barbarian. When questioned, you will state you are not a resident of Elweir. When you are on the continent of Pelosa, you are a slave even if your ownership is sold. While you may takes measure to remain their employer, you cannot object to any orders as a slave while on that continent. If you decide to have yourself marked as a slave by means of a slave collar, you must leave the key in Elweir when you leave. The favor ends when you have returned to Elweir after returning the dagger."

Sophia choses Kessa as her owner.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've fallen behind on chronology for the game. I should have that resolved soon. As a result, I don't have dates at this time. But I have the story.

Day 1:

Sophia performs a ritual for her favor. She is instructed as above that she must pick one of the two barbarians in her employment to become her master. She will be the slave of that barbarian while on the northern continent*. She picks Kessa Iceraven as the one she will use and informs Kessa of the favor.

Sophia goes to book passage aboard a trading ship. While she is doing this, Kessa Iceraven trades in her clan's gold to buy a large supply of weapons and feed for the cart's horses. After preparing the weapons, Kessa tracks down Skarg to inform him she will be gone for a long time. Skarg asks if Kessa would be interested in some "fun" before they go. Kessa agrees to this and the two go off to have sex.

Kessa returns later and her and Sophia leave for the foreign district. Kessa orders a lockable slave collar for Sophia. Sophia is measured and inspected like cattle by the slaver. He leaves, and returns with a slave collar 30 minutes later. The collar is placed on Sophia carelessly and locked. The key is given to Kessa who hangs it around her neck. Sophia is shocked to learn just how heavy the collar is. (GM note: I told Sophia that for the sake of simplicity, if she is carrying anything other than a weapon or clothing she is encumbered. Normally the collar alone would leave her encumbered at all times.)

End of Day 1

I'll post the following day of game events when I have more time at work.

Day 2 - 5:

Sailing, Sailing, over the ocean blue...

Day 6:

It is discovered that several barrels of fresh water are gone. The rope looks to have severed and the barrels are no where to be seen. The ship is forced to stop at one of the Maggot Islands. Most of the crew goes on shore and explore looking for fresh water. Sophia, Kessa, and Carmen explore and find some fruits but no fresh water.

One group returns and reports having found a river and as the group heads towards the river, they learn that further up from the river is an ancient temple. The group explores the temple to discover it is a temple of Poteidan. They go inside and find a statue of Poteidan holding what appears to be a large, spherical ruby. After making sure there are no traps to be found, they let the very eager Carmen go and claim the ruby. Carmen notices a body at the top balcony that was very recently sacrificed. He also notices that blood had dripped onto the very ruby he now possesses. He does not share this with anyone.

The return to the ship but the captain informs them that two of the crew are missing. Kessa, Carmen and Sophia go with two other of the crew to search the island while another group searches another section of the island. They search all but the temple itself and find no sign of the missing men. The go back into the tower and explore. This time, they discover the body from before that Carmen neglected to mention. They find several doors on the back side of the temple. After exploring a couple of rooms, they find stairs heading down beneath the temple.

There is a large, underground river and on the wall are slave chains with nine unconscious people chained to them. It includes the two missing crewmen. As they are freeing the chained individuals, several creatures jump out of the water. The Beasts of Poteidan sense the ruby on Carmen and try to recover it. After dispatching a number of them, the remaining ones flee.

Everyone flees to the ship and the ship leaves in a hurry. As they are sailing off, they hear scraping sounds. It is obvious that something is scratching at the hull of the ship. The ruby is thrown over the side but it only stops the scraping sound briefly. Kessa orders Sophia to use her magic and Sophia summons an undead supernatural creature of a drowned sailor. Slowly the scrapping sounds begin to stop and finally they all flee as the ship sails away from the island.

The above was all last week's game.

Day 7 - 9

Nothing of noteworthy happens

Day 10

Kessa is called up onto the deck to speak with the captain with Sophia. The captain demands that Sophia be turned over to be executed for the death of a sailor. It seems, that a supernatural creature was witnessed by three other sailors as he made one sailor use his sword and kill another sailor. After hearing information about the creature, Kessa pleads that it isn't possible she could have done that. After some bargaining, the captain gives them three days to prove their innocence.

They start by interviewing the witnesses and they get a good idea it is a Sword Madling. With the summoning of a Knower of Secrets, they learn that the Sword Madling was summoned back in Elwier and was sent onto the boat to hide and has been there since the journey began. They learn its mission is to kill Sophia.

The party forms a plan, they have word spread that Sophia is going to be tied up at night on the top deck so that she cannot use Sorcery and that two people will be on guard. But in truth, it is a trap to catch Sword Madling. A supernatural circle is made on the top deck to keep the creature contained and the others wait in ambush. The creature appears and is quickly killed.

more to come...

• 2 weeks later...

Day 18

The ship is reaching near the end of the journey but not before pirates begin to approach. Sophia summons a Revenant and sends it over to the pirate ship to slow them down as much as possible. The pirate ship loses its gain and eventually drops out of sight. Night comes and rather than risk the ship running aground or getting stuck in a cove on one of the Maggot Isles, they decide to sit in the middle of the ocean and anticipate a pirate attack.

Day 19

As first light approaches, the crew of the trade ship notice the pirate is also stopped not far from them. The race is on again as Sophia summons another Revenant and sends it to the ship. There is a noticable slowdown of the pirate ship but it does not stop it. The pirate ship eventually catches up and boarding parties using hooked planks begin working across the ship.

The battle drops many pirates, some are dropped into the beast invested waters below while others are cut down by skeletons and the party. Kessa fails to hit her hex on a Fury Whirl and the new location puts Sophia into range. Sophia dives for cover and narrowly avoids being cut down. A pirate in the area is not as lucky. Carmen focuses on one of the three boarding locations while Kessa works on another. Skeletons pick off those who make through the two and Sophia puts up a Voices of the Dead in the center of the pirate ship.

Before long, the pirates realize they have no chance and they disembark and pull away while they are still alive to count there blessings.

Day 24

The ship reaches Abzynia. Sophia and Kessa sell off all but one of the slaves. They then proceed to buy Sophia some weather appropriate slave clothing to replace her armor. They go back and sleep for the night.

Day 25

In the morning, Carmen is missing and after some investigation, they learn that while in an incredibly drunk state, Carmen contracted himself to a mercenary group that left earlier in the morning. They meet a man who is interested in joining them and after doing a quick assessment of him, they decide to accept Rafe into Sophia's employment.

• 1 month later...

I haven't read all 7 pages of this thread, but I just wanted to say that I looked at the character sheets and noticed that Sophia's Ego cost was calculated incorrectly.

I don't have the books in front of me, but doesn't EGO cost 2 character points per +1? An EGO of 23 from a base of 8 should cost 30 points, not 36. You're jipping your character 6 points :)

I haven't read all 7 pages of this thread, but I just wanted to say that I looked at the character sheets and noticed that Sophia's Ego cost was calculated incorrectly.

I don't have the books in front of me, but doesn't EGO cost 2 character points per +1? An EGO of 23 from a base of 8 should cost 30 points, not 36. You're jipping your character 6 points :)

True -- but you have to factor in Normal Characteristic Maxima in this case, so every +1 past 20 is 4 points. base 8 EGO, +12 to get you to 20 (24 points), +3 to get you to 23 (+12 points) equals 36.

• 2 weeks later...

Only running, at tops, every other week is making it easier to be interesting in gaming. I had started to burn out but I think I'm going to be safe.

Now, to recap all of the games I haven't posted about:

Day 25:

The group learns that there is someone looking for the Sophia group. They have a general description of the group itself. They are looking for a Cythnian, a female barbarian, and a female necromancer. Fortunately, with Sophia "disquised" as a slave and Rafe having replaced Carmen, the group is less likely to be spotted. The group heads out for Ethia.

Day 28:

A violent storm hits, causing torrential down pour. During this time, Rafe "steals" the party coin purse to test his skills and while Kessa does not notice this act, she realizes almost immediately the large shift in weight on her person. He is quickly told never to do that again.

During the night, the camp is attacked by a large group of living tree things. (nod to Keith Curtis and the Carnobroc) the group has quite a bit of difficulty finding and taking down the creatures in the late night, rainy environment but eventually they defeat them all. A horse and the slave Aldas are hurt but the rest are able to shrug off their wounds.

Day 29:

The group, having got little sleep, moves to a new camping location and rests for the day.

Day 37:

The group finally reaches Ethia. They, again, are being hunted and sought down. Kessa is recognized by some urchins from a previous encounter in the city. Sophia desperately needs to recharge her energy so they sneak into a graveyard. However, close investigation indicates that all cemetaries are being carefully watched by guards looking for Sophia.

The group tries to hide Sophia carefully in the dirt but a guard notices Kessa and becomes suspicious. Battle breaks out and Sophia almost gets stabbed through her exposed face. Instead, she gets a dead body of a guard stuck on top of her for a short while. Kessa runs to assist Rafe but discovers much to her surprise that he is doing a great job on his own.

Day 38:

Kessa's urchin followers now have a new tale of Kessa at the Graveyard. The group leaves for Sri Addis, capital of Abzynia. They travel by boat until they reach a fork in the river and then ride the rest of the way.

Day 43:

A demon appears, flying overhead. It asks about some sort of strange Source of Power from the group. The group, suspects initially that the demon is after Sophia but it is revealed, rather unexpectedly, that they are instead after Rafe.