Persistent Shapechange Help

MPT

I suspect this has been answered before so I am posting this here rather than sending it to Steve.

If Shapeshift is bought with the 'Costs END Only To Change Shape' advantage, can it then also have the 'Persistent' advantage.

'Persistent' says that the Power must cost 0 END or be reduced to 0 END via the 'Reduced END' Advantage. The 'Costs END Only To Change Shape' advantage seems to be half of one and half of the other.

Re: Persistent Shapechange Help

Persistent can only be bought for 0 END powers* BUT you could use side effects: a minor END drain when you actually change shape, but not when you are just in a changed shape would do much the same thing, although you might not get much of a points saving from it.

*TECHNICALLY: in this particular instance I would probably allow 'END to activate AND persistent as it makes game sense to me to do so.

By strict reading of the rules ...the answers no' date=' but who cares? I'd have no problem with it...just talk to the GM, unless you are the GM....'cause talking to your self makes people think you're weird....[/quote']

you're only weird if you answer yourself. Or lose an argument to yourself.

The rules say no, only a Power that is 0 END can be bought Persistant.

Like many others, I've typically said that doesn't matter. There is such a thing that takes effort to change but stays that indefinately once done, and then takes effort to change again. As Sean says, one way to do this is to buy it 0 END Persistant with a Side Effect that it Drains END each time it's activated. Technically, this is the only legal way to do it.

ShapeShift (30 points) 0 END, Persistant, Side Effect (Drains 1 1/2d6 END each time it is activated; -1/4) 48 points.

or

ShapeShift (30 points) Cost END Only To Change, Persistant, 52 points.

Not much difference. The Side Effect is technically cheaper, it's also questionably legal, and drains far too much END, and never has the effect of taking STUN is used when out of END. As it is, with the illegal method being more expensive, I don't know why it would be disallowed.

I'd probably allow Persistent on a Power that costs End only to activate. It means that if the Power is turned off by a Suppress, Dispel, etc., it will be more costly to turn on. Depending on the Power I might also treat it a little differently from a normal Peristent Power: although the Power remains on if you are Stunned or Knocked Out, it is still assumed to be off by default until it is activated in a scene (and turns off once things calm down and everyone believes the combat is over; once, "the adrenaline rush ends").