Enforcer84

I am looking for "good" mythical monsters

Thus far I have:

Unicorn

Pegasus

Dragon

Sphinx

Phoenix

I'd like something considered quite magical, inclinations to help man, and a sea creature or land based creature would be nice. They should also have a name that wouldn't be giggled at by other superheroes...

any ideas?

Re: Help with helpful "Monsters"

Well, if you don't mind oriental themes (and apparently you don't, judging by your inclusion of "dragon" - Western dragons were definitely not "good"), there's always the ki-lin (also called the ch'i-lin). It's sort of a Chinese unicorn. More info [http://www.pantheon.org/articles/k/ki-lin.html]here'>http://www.pantheon.org/articles/k/ki-lin.html]here[/i]. (Other "good" monsters listed at http://www.pantheon.org include the gorgoniy, and the singa, but I hadn't heard of those before and don't know much about them.)

There's also the kobold - despite D&Ds promulgation of the kobold as a nasty evil humanoid, the original mythological kobolds were actually basically good creatures that warned miners of impending disaster.

Then there are various types of helpful fairy-type home spirit, like the brownie and the clurichaun (the latter being sort of a supernatural protector of the wine cellars), among many others - but I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, or if you want less humanoid creatures.

Oh - right. The caladrius is definitely a "good" mythological creature. It's a bird that when placed by the bed of a sick person will either take the disease and fly into the sun with it, curing the afflicted, or, if there's no hope for a cure, turn its back (but hey, at least that way you know...)

Hm... I'm sure there are lots of others, but those are the first ones that occur to me off the top of my head...

Oh, yeah, a few more... there's the shedu (or sedu), a guardian creature from Babylonian mythology in the shape of a winged bull with a human head... the lammasu, which is basically the Assyrian name for the shedu... the smaj, mythological protectors of Serbia who resembled winged humans and could shoot fire...

Interesting creatures. I'll have to check it out. Here is the first of the characters I built...Crimson PhoenixPlayer: NPC Hero; Member of LEGENDS combat team

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
20 DEX 30
20 CON 20
20 BODY 20
13 INT 3
15 EGO 10
22 PRE 12
20 COM 5
8/21 PD 4
8/26 ED 4
5 SPD 20
10 REC 4
50 END 5
50 STUN 10
7" RUN25" SWIM34" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 162
Cost Power END
90 Flame Attacks: Multipower, 90-point reserve
7u 1) Flame Blast: Energy Blast 11d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (69 Active Points) 3
4u 2) Dessicate: Energy Blast 4d6 (vs. ED), No Normal Defense Standard (+1) (40 Active Points) [Notes: Defense is LS [safe Environment: Intense Heat]] 4
6u 3) Extinguish Fire: Dispel Fire 16d6, Expanded Effect (Any Fire) One At A Time (+1/4) (60 Active Points) 6
6u 4) Flame Cage: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (90 Active Points); Targets only take damage if they move into/out of the affected hex (-1/2)
7u 5) Fireball: Energy Blast 9d6 (vs. ED), Explosion (+1/2) (67 Active Points) 7
9u 6) Fire Mastery: Suppress 6d6, All Fire Powers All Powers Simultaneously (+2) (90 Active Points) 9
20 Flame/Heat Control: Elemental Control, 40-point powers
20 1) Pheonix WIngs: Flight 20" (40 Active Points) 4
40 2) Pyrokinetic Defense Field: Force Field (10 PD/15 ED/5 Flash Defense: Sight Group), Invisible Power Effects (Single Sense (normal sight), Hearing Group; +1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (60 Active Points)
5 Infrared Vision: Infrared Perception
6 Natural Protections: Life Support , Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat
Uniform, all slots: OIF (-1/2)
7 1) Radio Commlink: Radio Perception/Transmission (10 Active Points)
6 2) Light Armor: Armor (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points)
2 3) Insulated Suit: Life Support , Safe in High Pressure, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum (3 Active Points)
Powers Cost: 235
Cost Skill
15 +3 with Ranged Combat
3 Breakfall 13-
3 Combat Piloting 13-
2 KS: LEGEND 11-
3 KS: Aircraft (INT-based) 12-
3 Language: German (completely fluent)
3 Navigation (Air, Space) 12-
2 PS: Commercial Pilot 11-
2 SS: Aeronautic Engineer 11-
2 SS: Astronomy 11-
3 Systems Operation 12-
3 TF: Combat Aircraft, Helicopters, Large Planes, Small Planes
2 WF: Clubs, Fist-Loads, Small Arms, Unarmed Combat
Skills Cost: 46
Cost Perk
7 Fringe Benefit: Licensed Pilot, Membership: LEGENDS, Passport
Perks Cost: 7
Val Disadvantages
15 Dependent NPC: Alexander Reichman (Grandfather) 8- (Incompetent)
5 Distinctive Features: Flame red hair, gold eyes (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 Distinctive Features: Aura of supernatural (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
20 Hunted: DEMON 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
10 Hunted: Feurmacher 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
10 Hunted: Freon 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
10 Psychological Limitation: Loves to fly (and it shows...sorry) (Common; Moderate)
20 Psychological Limitation: Loyal to LEGEND (Common; Total)
15 Psychological Limitation: Womanizer (Common; Strong)
5 Rivalry: Professional (Sky Dragon), Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Jason Reichman) (Frequently; Major)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Cold Based Attacks (Uncommon)
5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Cold Based attacks (Uncommon)
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 300Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 450

Height: 6' 1" Hair: Red
Weight: 220 lbs Eyes: Gold
Appearance: A handsome and charming young man with long red hair and golden eyes. He has a tanned complexion and a casual demeanor. He wears a standard field agent combat suit in red with white and gold trim. He greatly resembles Ido from the RPG Xenogears.Personality: Jason is dedicated to his new mission, the things he has learned and seen in his short time as a member of the field team has convinced him of LEGEND's mission and righteousness. He gets along well with his fellow field agents. Loves piloting the various transport and combat craft. He has continued his flight training and can pilot almost any airborn vehicle. He wants to begin training on starcraft. In combat, he tends to keep his distance as while more than a match physically for many normal human opponents, he has no formal hand to hand training.Quote:Stand down, I don't want to have to char you.Background: Jason Reichman's happiest day was graduating flight school. He was about to join the family tradition, his father, uncles, and grandfather had all been pilots. Things went down hill considerably when he was unable to find work in the cold reality that was the airline industry. Things had gotten bad after the major airlines decalared bankrupcy. His grandfather, a pilot in WWII and Korea, made a few calls and Jason was contacted by a Dr Ashton Yunagi. Dr Yunagi was the head of a super secret project headed by a group of powerful and influential people from all over the world. Operation LEGEND needed agents, and Yunagi thought that Jason might work out.

Jason, along with sixteen other applicants were tested vigorously for their physical and mental prowess. Then came a battery of psychological interviews. Finally, ten of the applicants were released and the final seven began a grueling training sequence. Jason, in excellent physical condition, had little trouble keeping up. Finally the seven remaining applicants were told what was going on. LEGEND was an organization developed to save the world from a threat long ago prophesized. Using techniques that blended science and sorcery, techlogy and alchemy, the seven finalists were given a "totem" and superhuman powers to go with. Jason Reichman became the Crimson Phoenix.

Powers/Tactics: Crimson Phoenix pretty much sits back and blasts his opponents. He will Extinguish or exert his Mastery if against another flame weilder. He likes to use the Flame Cage on agents as they generally stay put. Dessicate is another favorite for non metahumans.Campaign Use: Firepower and pilot for the LEGEND field team. He doesn't stray too far from his team mates and while bright doesn't think on his feet well. Tends towards the most direct solution.

Well..the "Help Man" bit might not be present here, since most monsters arent' really bent that way.:D But, I'll do what I can.

For your Sea Monster character, the most obvious name that jumps to mind would be "Leviathan" which I've always thought would be a sweet name for a Growth-powered Aqua Brick. "Kraken" also works well. Or, something based on a "Mermaid" concept - "Blue Mermaid" or something along those lines. Perhaps a water based EP set.

Land based is a bit trickier. "Golem" would work, as they are typically made out of all sorts of earthy materials (stone, clay, etc.) and is a cool name for a brick type. For a monster character w/ more "Earth Manipulation" type powers, like a druid or something like that, maybe "Treant"- the living tree. What type of character are you looking for on the Earth character (archetype?) That might be somewhat more helpful, but I'm having a hard time there.

-T

Re: Help with helpful "Monsters"

Originally posted by Enforcer84

I am looking for "good" mythical monsters

Thus far I have:

Unicorn

Pegasus

Dragon

Sphinx

Phoenix

I'd like something considered quite magical, inclinations to help man, and a sea creature or land based creature would be nice. They should also have a name that wouldn't be giggled at by other superheroes...

any ideas?

Unicorn helpful of man? Yeesh. That thing was more viscious than a dragon. It's the one that ate virigns not the dragon. :) At any rate, the myths have changed over the years.

Moving on to the others.

Talos comes to mind for your landbased character. It is the name of a GIANT bronze statue that defended a city.

The dolphin is a sea creature regarded with good fortune.

The oriental dragons are also associated with the sea.

The Griffin was the symbol of Christ in medieval Christan Lore. The romans have them depicted as drawing the chariot of the sun

The Naga (half human/half serpent) are considered to be divine beings. The king of the Nagas was said to have used his cobra hood to shield the meditating Buddha for a week after his enlightenment

There is something that most people tend to overlook. Most creatures, especially the intelligent ones, have the ability to act in a helpful manner, especially if the monster's goal is in some manner similar to the hero's. The monster would simply act like the monster is going to help the heros until their paths no longer cross. Even the "beneficial" creatures will in many ways act this same way.

Even if you (or the GM) wishes to use more beneficial creatures than can be found there is nothing stopping him from creating some "out of the blue".