[Magic System] Stoburu

Killer Shrike

Banged out a rough draft for a new Magic System:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/MagicSystems/Stoburu.shtml

It represents the sort of Magic User you find in some fiction where a "Wizard" or whatever you want to call them use an item or items such as a Staff or Wand (or something more esoteric) to focus all of their Powers thru.

This style can also be mixed with other Magic Systems with an item creation aspect that my more formal and severe Artificing guidelines are too drastic for.

Re: [Magic System] Stoburu

This is one of your most simple and straight foward systems. Power Framework + Focus = done. Interesting.

A few years ago I ran a Fantasy Hero campaign where I allowed Elemental Controls and Power Frameworks for magic. It was a 75/75 point campaign and I expected the high cost of the base pool to keep Active Points down. I never expected a Multipower with OAF (Beads) -1. It was an efficient build. The slots were powerful enough and had enough utility to make the rest of the characters secondary.

Yeah, its one of the various Magic Systems I had notes for but never got around to typing up. It models a sort of Magic User that is found in some fiction, but more importantly, its a viable Magic System and is basically 100% by-the-book, so I figured it was worth doing just for coverage purposes.

A player that sets out to abuse it certainly can if the GM doesnt ride herd a bit, but in general it is as manageable as any other "Supermage" concept. The time constraints I put in for adding and improving abilities should also act as a brake if enforced, the Real Cost of the abilities is a deterrent, and of course their Foci can be attacked or removed in play which is a serious crimp.

I dunno...not my favorite Magic System, but it's serviceable.

• 5 months later...

It's pretty cool. It sounds sort of like how Gandalf operates. Anyway, it seems a serious point cost to use multiple foci. For example, you create two wands. One is the "offense wand" with various EB and stuff. The other is a "defense wand" with FF and healing. If I make those as MP pools, I'm essentially paying almost double than if I put everything into one wand. I understand the benefit of not putting all your eggs in one basket, but it hardly seems worth the cost.

Some players might be willing, I guess it depends on the point totals for characters. They might also load up the limitations and make it pretty cheap, I dunno. I also just remembered you couldn't use FF and EB at the same time with one such wand. So, maybe it's worth it.

Hey nice. I love reading through your magic systems. you should lik these up. I'm lucky I found them. I noticed you have a link on the whats new section though.

Yeah, I've havent gotten around to making a sample character and package deals for this Magic System yet, but once that happens Ill get it all linked up.

It's pretty cool. It sounds sort of like how Gandalf operates.

Yes, I had that very much in my mind as one of the types of magic users Stoburu could model.

Anyway, it seems a serious point cost to use multiple foci. For example, you create two wands. One is the "offense wand" with various EB and stuff. The other is a "defense wand" with FF and healing. If I make those as MP pools, I'm essentially paying almost double than if I put everything into one wand. I understand the benefit of not putting all your eggs in one basket, but it hardly seems worth the cost.

Some players might be willing, I guess it depends on the point totals for characters. They might also load up the limitations and make it pretty cheap, I dunno. I also just remembered you couldn't use FF and EB at the same time with one such wand. So, maybe it's worth it.

There are pros and cons to either method, and its up to the player to decide if they want to limit their risk or limit their costs.

As an aside you can have multiple slots in an MP active if the reserve is large enough.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for finishing this one up and posting it, It's always interesting to see what you create -- and I've frequently gone digging in your archives for ideas when I'm building characters.

I think my favorite take on caster with staffs and wands -- or bards with musical instruments -- is to:

• (a) buy the spells with increased endurance, and then to buy off that increased endurance when using the focus, and/or
  • (B) buy the spells with a skill roll, and then either buy off the skill roll or buy levels with the skill roll through the focus.

I like the flavor of "This is my magic, and I can use it on my own, but without my supports, it's exhausting, and/or unpredictable". I also like the mechanics of a character who can lose her focus and be at a genuine disadvantage...but not be completely powerless. In general, I find gameplay with characters whose only modes are fully powered and powerless to be less interesting.

Thanks for finishing this one up and posting it, It's always interesting to see what you create -- and I've frequently gone digging in your archives for ideas when I'm building characters.

I think my favorite take on caster with staffs and wands -- or bards with musical instruments -- is to:

• (a) buy the spells with increased endurance, and then to buy off that increased endurance when using the focus, and/or
  • (B) buy the spells with a skill roll, and then either buy off the skill roll or buy levels with the skill roll through the focus.

I like the flavor of "This is my magic, and I can use it on my own, but without my supports, it's exhausting, and/or unpredictable". I also like the mechanics of a character who can lose her focus and be at a genuine disadvantage...but not be completely powerless. In general, I find gameplay with characters whose only modes are fully powered and powerless to be less interesting.

Thanks! Yes, I agree that a middle ground is nice for focus oriented systems. I presented a couple of options to easily modify Stoburu into that sort of a system under the "intrinsic abilities" subtopic; they could be implemented at the individual level or at the system level as preferred to give greater room for personalization between different stoburans (some might need their crutches more than others for instance).

A practical Stoburuist (Stoburulist? I saw it earlier but I forget now) would go through the effort to prepare spares (several likely) of his existing foci, and just leave the final step undone (i.e. the final roll to activate it).

I think... think... I´d allow that as a GM. I´m a big believer in the power of practical magic users.

A practical Stoburuist (Stoburulist? I saw it earlier but I forget now) would go through the effort to prepare spares (several likely) of his existing foci, and just leave the final step undone (i.e. the final roll to activate it).

I think... think... I´d allow that as a GM. I´m a big believer in the power of practical magic users.

Stoburan, and sure the time can be broken up (it doesnt have to be consecutive, as noted), so all but the last hour could be done in advance. I'd still require the last hour concurrent with the roll just to prevent items from being replaced in combat relative time.

Things are crazy. I glanced at the name, and thought ¨Hey, that looks like Harry Dresden. Odd.¨

Now that I´ve read it- I like... but:

1) What does Transparent to ED (Energy Damage?) mean?

2) Where´s his enchanted jacket and ring? I love the ring... such a clever, simple thing!

Things are crazy. I glanced at the name, and thought ¨Hey, that looks like Harry Dresden. Odd.¨

Now that I´ve read it- I like... but:

1) What does Transparent to ED (Energy Damage?) mean?

Transparent to ED (or PD) is an Advantage you can buy that allows attacks against that type of defense to pass thru the Force Wall without knocking down the FW. Without the Advantage, a FW with no DEF vs PD or ED is knocked down by even 1 point of damage against that defense.

2) Where´s his enchanted jacket and ring? I love the ring... such a clever, simple thing!

It wasn't intended as an actual conversion, just a tongue in cheek reference. The ring and jacket are doable under Stoburu however, and I suppose you could say its left as an exercise for the reader. In reality I just got the build up to the point total I wanted and stopped.

I also plan to (eventually) do a lower pointed write up of a character called Mardok, which is a name-reference to Markdoc.

Sorry. If the Force Wall (or whatever) is Transparent to a certain kind of Damage... the attack passes right through, and therefore can hit you, yes?

Yes, and you can also launch attacks through it of that type of damage.

I´ve never seen Transparent. Is it in FrED?

Its in 5er; I dont recall if it was in fred.

Stoburan' date=' and sure the time can be broken up (it doesnt have to be consecutive, as noted), so all but the last hour could be done in advance. I'd still require the last hour concurrent with the roll just to prevent items from being replaced in combat relative time.[/quote']

As an alternative- I´d suggest allowing it combat time, but require a skill roll with a -1 for every 10 Active Points. Allows for confident/desperate practioners to pull off a cool stunt and seriously impress/scare any magical competitors who know the significance of what they just saw.

i.e. It lets the character come out looking like a powerful bad*** ;)

As an alternative- I´d suggest allowing it combat time, but require a skill roll with a -1 for every 10 Active Points. Allows for confident/desperate practioners to pull off a cool stunt and seriously impress/scare any magical competitors who know the significance of what they just saw.

i.e. It lets the character come out looking like a powerful bad*** ;)

Sure; the existing skill Time Chart could apply. I don't have my rulebook w/ me, but from the hip that seems like a fair approach. I almost always err on the side of letting characters have "cool moments".