Name Help for a Patriot

Supreme

Recent Patriot threads have inspired me to make a Golden Age martial artist (boxer) in a flagsuit. My current name for his is "Sergeant Victory." But the name is sounding a little... schmah. Any other suggestions? I've thought of "Captain Victory" but that's too similar to "Captain America" to me. Keep in mind this is for a GA game. So nothing with an "X" in it. Nothing menacing like "Amerikiller". Don't be a fraid to be cheesy.

Interesting suggestions.

"Unknown Soldier" is taken I think -- and kind of creepy. This is a fun-loving, jumping around, boxing guy in stars and stripes. "Unknown Soldier" sounds like he sneaks around with bandages all over his face.

"Sergeant Stripes" sounds interesting. The Wife Supreme suggested that too. I'll think about it.

"Major Liberty/Victory" also sound okay, but just aren't floating my boat. "Sgt. Star" is likewise appealing.

"American Avenger" is getting kind of into that menacing territory.

"American Cross" is just too religious.

"The Star-Spangled Sentinel" sounds more like a nickname.

Keep 'em coming!

Originally posted by winterhawk

Does he have to be a flagsuit? The GA boxer in my campaign is styled after the GA Atom and Wildcat. He's called The Two Fisted Tornado.

Definitely. It's sort of the central idea for the character. Though his personality is modelled more on the Atom/Wildcat type, the event that triggers his resolve to become a super-hero was his brother's death during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Also, I really wanted to do a flagsuit character. That's my primary motivation.

I took a moment to look at the list of names of ships that were attacked at Pearl Harbor, hoping to find one that fit. Sadly, most were states, and 'Vestal' isn't the name most guys would feel comfortable wearing. :)

Then I looked at the speech FDR gave... this clip caught my eye...

"With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounding determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God. "

Given the background you've given, I therefore suggest "Triumph"

Originally posted by Hermit

...Given the background you've given, I therefore suggest "Triumph"

If it wasn't also the name of Conan O'Brien's insult dog, I'd take it. Still, "Captain Triumph" or something along those lines is also acceptable. But you've given me a good idea. Look to historical speeches and quotes from the time for ideas. That's a great idea, Herm!

Originally posted by Supreme

If it wasn't also the name of Conan O'Brien's insult dog, I'd take it. Still, "Captain Triumph" or something along those lines is also acceptable.

Oopps, didn't know about the dog. Hmmm, Captain Triumph might make extra sense if that was the rank of his lost family member, in loving memory and to honor etc.

And thanks for the compliment :)

Originally posted by Hermit

Oopps, didn't know about the dog. Hmmm, Captain Triumph might make extra sense if that was the rank of his lost family member, in loving memory and to honor etc.

And thanks for the compliment :)

Sure thing. Actually, the character's brother, Matt, was a civilian defense contractor (leaving my character the CEO of the company, and a good reason to not be drafted). Still, "Captain Triumph"... There's something lacking there. "Sgt. Triumph" doesn't work either. "Mr. Triumph?" Nah... I think maybe "Freedom", another well-used word in FDR's speech, might work better. I thought "Freedom Fighter," but it sounds like he's fighting against freedom. Still, it fits with his boxing background.

mmmmmmmm

Well, it's not in the speech, but one name I've used for Patriot sorts that might also fit a boxer mentality...

"Defiant"

(And he cries out, in his anger and his pain, "I am leaving, I am leaving..." but the fighter still remains-S&G)

If you want a bit of humor, Corporal Punishment or Major Pain might work.

In a more serious campaign, what about The Warden (the air raid / civil defense version, not the prison boss), or Bazooka Joe?

For that matter, if he's really good with his fists, he might have a ring career either in his future or in his past. He could always just use his 'ring name' as a hero handle, and be "Bomber" McLain (the "bomber" reference would even tie to his Army origin, thanks to the Army Air Corps). That approach seemed to work for Nick Fury and Sgt. Rock, after all.

Cyberknight

Originally posted by Emerald Mask

How about making him a Major- Major Triumph or Major Strife or Major Victory

We went over those a few posts back. Not wild about 'em. I think I'm pretty happy with "Freedom Fighter" at this point. Here he is.

Freedom Fighter

Tactics: hit ‘em hard, hit ‘em fast, never flinch!

History: “Mighty†Mike Morgan was a celebrated professional boxer. He made a lot of money and, with the help of his older brother Matt, invested wisely enough to hold on to it through the turbulent Depression. Matt’s particular investment specialization was in defense engineering. Sadly, Matt was at Pearl Harbor, inspecting munitions, when it was attacked by the Japanese. Mike, is now the sole owner of Morgan Engineering and guardian of his niece, Margaret (Maggie’s mother died years ago from Yellow Fever). Forced to stay at home, Mike yearned to fight for liberty, but could not… until…

Project “Freedom Cloth†was to develop a special “bullet-resistant†material to be worn by soldiers. Made of special synthetic fibers stronger even than ballistic nylon, “Freedom Cloth†passed all of its field tests deflecting most small arms fire. However, the cost was deemed prohibitively high. Mike took the remaining samples, and with them made a costume. Now Mike can give the streets – and the Axis – a one-two punch as… The Freedom Fighter!!!

Powers: None, though Mike has a legend-worthy natural talent with unarmed combat as well as superb agility. He also wears a light-weight costume that provides him with a significant projection from firearms and blades.

Actual write-up on a spreadsheet to be forthcoming.