Character for Review: Elaine Nash

Eyendasky80

This is basically a lead operative in a CTU agency not featured on the show in an undetermined as of yet US city. She basically fills the Jack Bauer role of *** kicking and torturing. I need some help and advice/criticism will also be appreciated.

1. I don't know too much about Jeet Kun Do, I just sort of picked a discipline from memory, then I looked it up and saw it was Bruce Lee and figured that's cool. If anyone has better take on what a person with her background and disciplines' MA would look like, sound off.

2. Her military history is a complete work of fiction and I really don't have any experience with that sort of thing. Is it plausible? I'm aware that women aren't allowed to join the SEAL program, but that's referenced in her bio. Does it seem within the realm of possibility? I'm sort of going for some level of realism, but not too much.

Special Agent Elaine Nash

Player:

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

19 DEX 27

14 CON 8

14 BODY 8

16 INT 6

13 EGO 6

18 PRE 8

12 COM 1

4 PD 1

4 ED 1

4 SPD 11

6 REC 0

30 END 1

30 STUN 1

8" RUN 4

5" SWIM 3

4" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 91

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

4 Counterstrike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike, Must Follow Block

4 Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike

4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +25 STR vs. Grabs

3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +2d6 +v/5, Target Falls

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Martial Arts Cost: 27

Cost Skill

CTU Special Agent

3 1) Combat Driving 13-

3 2) Deduction 12-

3 3) Interrogation 13-

3 4) KS: CTU Protocol (INT-based) 12-

2 5) KS: Terrorist Groups 11-

3 6) CuK: Notorius Terrorists (INT-based) 12-

2 7) KS: Federal Law Enforcement 11-

3 8) Lockpicking 13-

3 9) Tactics 12-

3 10) Security Systems 12-

SEAL Team Six (DEVGRU)

8 1) +1 with All Combat

5 2) +1 with Ranged Combat

5 3) Accurate Sprayfire

3 4) KS: Forward Observer (INT-based) 12-

3 5) KS: Small Unit Tactics (INT-based) 12-

3 6) KS: Strategic Planning (INT-based) 12-

2 7) PS: Sailor 11-

5 8) Rapid Attack (Ranged)

3 9) Stealth 13-

2 10) Survival (Marine) 12-

12 11) TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Jetskis, Large Motorized Boats, Parachuting, Advanced, Parachuting, Basic, Rafts, SCUBA, Small Military Ships, Small Motorized Boats, Small Rowed Boats, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles, Wheeled Military Vehicles

12 12) WF: Anti-Aircraft Guns, Anti-Tank Guns, Blades, Chain & Rope Weapons, Clubs, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers, Polearms and Spears, Small Arms, Staffs, Thrown Knives, Axes, and Darts, Vehicle Weapons

US Navy Supply Corps

2 1) KS: US Navy Customs and Courtesy 11-

3 2) KS: Accounting/Bookeeping (INT-based) 12-

University of Kansas: BA in Business

3 1) KS: Business Management (INT-based) 12-

3 2) Language: German (completely fluent)

Skills Cost: 102

Cost Perk

3 Fringe Benefit: Federal/National Police Powers

Perks Cost: 3

Cost Talent

5 Lightning Reflexes: +3 DEX to act first with All Actions

Talents Cost: 5

Total Character Cost: 228

Pts. Disadvantage

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

15 Dependent NPC: Angus 8- (Incompetent)

5 Dependent NPC: Ex-Boyfriend/Partner 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC)

10 Hunted: CTU Division Command 8- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)

20 Hunted: Terrorist Groups 14- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

15 Psychological Limitation: Cold, Calculating (Common; Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Workaholic (Common; Strong)

10 Reputation: Ice Queen 11-

10 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Frequently; Minor)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 100

Experience Required: 28

Total Experience Available: 28

Experience Unspent: 0

Background/History:

Elaine ‘Laine†Nash was born July 13, 1973 in Cawker City, home of the world’s largest ball of twine. When Elaine was 18, she left Cawker City to attend college at the University of Kansas where she received a degree in Business Math and completed the NROTC program.

She then accepted a commission from the Navy and began serving as an ensign in the Navy Supply Corps. She was heavily involved in Competitive Swimming and even trained for the Olympics. Her excellence in sports and her interest in Martial Arts (she had already been awarded a black belt in Jeet Kun Do) brought her to the attention of the Naval Secretary in 1996. The secretary was under pressure from a crusading chairperson of a military budget commission to institute full military integration. Admittedly, no one expected Nash to succeed and complete the program that had a %60 dropout rate, but she excelled and become one of the most highly decorated officers in her SEAL class as well as the only woman to date to serve as a SEAL. Nash’s life story was fictionalized in a big budget movie, although in order to protect her ability to operate, producers were denied permission to label it a true story. In 1998, Nash was tapped to join the elite SEAL Team Six, or DEVGRU (U.S. Navy Special Warfare Development Group) and served on several successful operations as team leader.

She chose not to renlist once her commission was up as she felt disillusioned with the military that had treated her as little more than a publicity stunt. She spent two years working in the private sector as a security consultant before she was approached in 2001 and offered a position at CTU as a field investigator. Intrigued by the opportunity to work in a domestic setting, Nash accepted the position. Now she is one of CTU’s top operatives, getting results, neurtralizing threats, and kicking butt.

Personality/Motivation:

Nash is a patriot, however she feels that there are factions within the United States that have lost sight of what it means to be America. She joined the SEALs to help defend America against threats foreign and domestic, now she does the same at CTU.

Nash is a workaholic and has trouble maintaining a relationship or even a social life outside the office. The last serious relationship she had was with her former partner, which resulted in their son Angus. Most people consider Nash unapproachable and cold, but she’s actually very passionate about her work and hobbies.

The most important person in Nash’s life is her son, Angus. Angus lives with his father, Matthew Sweet, and it sometimes seems to Nash that they’re on another planet, but really they’re barely twenty miles away. CTU business seems to always interrupt anytime Nash gets a second to see Angus, but she always makes it up to him. She hopes when he’s older, he’ll understand why his mommy has to leave so often.

Often the first to enter dangerous situations, she doesn’t feel comfortable sending men under her command into situations she wouldn’t go herself. To a lesser degree, she has issues with micro-managing situations and often refuses to delegate a task unless she feels someone else is better suited.

Quote: “This isn’t right, these guys are too stupid to come up with this on their own. Look, I’m gonna need a gallon of gasoline and a meat cleaver.â€

Powers/Tactics:

Nash is a highly trained, special forces veteran, and a accomplished practitioner of Jeet Kun Do. She has a brilliantly analytical mind and has developed keen powers of observation. In short, she’s exactly the sort of person CTU wants in the field. She’s also a talented interrogator and is well versed in all the latest questioning techniques.

Nash understands in most situations, the best defense is a good offense and she operates accordingly. She’s also well versed in small unit tactics and enjoys taking the lead on raids and assaults. In combat she prefers to work the enemy(s) flank and use stealth as long as possible. When the time for a direct assault arises, she uses her superior dexterity and speed to advance quickly, firing rapidly as she closes the distance. Once she’s in hand to hand, she neutralizes opponents with calculated strikes to vulnerable areas and secures them for later torture…er, questioning.

Campaign Use:

To Nash, you’re either part of the solution or you’re in her damn way. Most PCs will find her a valuable resource, but the ones who find themselves in opposition of Nash’s objectives will soon regret it. She makes an excellent foil to PCs operating outside the law as a competent and credible threat who isn’t intimidated by much, let alone some nancy-boy in tights.

Nash is a field operative and will turn up at any suspected terrorist attack. Players may also encounter her following up leads that at first glance appear unrelated to any terrorist groups, but in fact are deeply entwined in some sinister plot. Nash has a tendency to avert most crises in exactly 24 hours.

If you’re working with Nash, she’ll assume command in any situation within her jurisdiction. Her interpretation of her jurisdiction is fairly broad.

Appearance:

Nash is athletic, tall, and imposing. She isn’t bad looking either. She tends to dress in flattering designer suits or a flak jacket. She has dark hair, a tanned complexion, and brown eyes. Her hair is cut short and styled well. Most guys at CTU will gladly flirt with her until they see her question a suspect.

Re: Character for Review: Elaine Nash

I need some help and advice/criticism will also be appreciated.

Special Agent Elaine Nash

First, overall good write-up. The SEAL history works for me but the disillusionment kinda smacks up against her patriotism. Consider having her recruited instead by someone...

Second, I am not so sure that she would have a baby unless it is a whoopps! moment. Basically, getting knocked up throws everything away for this kind of career oriented woman (Esp if she wasn't married). You could have her booted from the Navy because of her "accidental medical condition" (Sorry Mam, you are off of SEAL but we can accomidate you in the 171st Supply Task Force....). Once she has determined that her career is over then she could be recruited into CTU but it might be nice to have her recruited into NSA or maybe SWAT before CTU. IMO CTU field operatives must prove that they are capable of mastering multiple enviroments and strategies before they are given the autonomy of field agent. She really needs to learn some investigative skills somewhere before she lands as the lead field agent. JMO.

1. I would bump her PD up to a 6, otherwhise she is dog meat in a HTH. She is still dog meat but more on that in #2.

2. A lone gun fighter without Dodge is not in the game long.

3. Just an observation... The points on your stats are pretty odd. I assume that it is intentional. I would up the CON by 2 and Raise/Lower the BODY by one. I would also bump the EGO to 14, ECV should never come into a CTU game but....

4. Consider bumping Stealth up to a 14-/15-.... She could use the extra sneakieness.

5. Consider adding a few Talents. Danger Sense Intuitive comes to mind along with Raising her Perception. She shouldn't be as frontal -- charge in -- as Jack so she needs a leg up. Danger Sense, Combat Sense, Light Sleep, and Resistance are all talents that I would consider for her.

6. To make her a smart, rather than bullish fighter, I would consider "I know how he fights" Super Skill in Dark Champions. Basically, Combat Skill Levels linked to Analyse Combat.

Just to put her into perspective... She is less effective in combat than Jack, Nina, Chase, & Tony. I am thinking that you wanted her up in the Jack/Nina league and these suggestions are with that in consideration. I don't really see anything wrong with her build (barring the lack of a Dodge) but these are things that could be done to tweak her a bit and vault her into the elite category.

PS - I noticed none of the characters has any ability with Analyse Combat/Martial Arts and none of them have Dodge. I only have my own tastes and experiences to go off but after several years of playing in a steady Dark Champions game - Dodge is the sweetest 4 points spent on a character. If the lead strats flying and you are in the open, to quote Aliens, "Game Over Man, Game Over!" Obviously, this is less true if you have people watching your back (and sniping those who would fill you with holes).

As for Jeet Kune Do, it's also a mix of different styles, just like Krav Maga. Bruce Lee said, "Take what you find useful and discard the rest." I recommend Bruce Lee's book The Tao of Jeet Kune Do for more info. If you just want visuals, get Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Self-Defense Techniques. If nothing else, you'll probably enjoy seeing Bruce Lee kicking butt.

I'd recommend additions to the JKD skillset - Offensive Strike (kicks), Martial Grab (locks and holds), Martial Weapons (clubs and knives). I've had some JKD training and these were taught from beginner onwards. At the level of skill your PC exhibits (2 additional damage classes and the somewhat advanced Counterstrike maneuver) they would be a non-trivial omission.

You also seem to be missing Breakfall, even if just at the familiarity level.

Anotehr thought. Never give a character Martial Escape without a complementary grab or choke maneuver. In my experience the grapple and escape techniques are taught together.

Well, this is just a thought (but it is also a pet peeve of mine) but STR of 15 is way to high. yes I know it is nice to get the extra 1d6 HtH damage, but very few people, even professional soldiers, would have a 15 STR (unless she is one of those unslightly female wightlifter types).

I would drop her strength to a more realistic level, and just buy +1DC with HtH to represent more skill in doing damage, rather then brute force.

but that is just my take (I often question my players who give male characters 15+ STR in Heroic level games). "Look here is my forensic scientist nerd character with 20 STR."