Learning Heroes - Basic Elements and Balance

Johannes

I came upon the idea by readeing other postsings.

What are the basic elements?

I read roll 3D6 realle low to do - then roll a bunch of d6 for random goodieness

How much power is one point?

2 comeliness or a straight 8- - leads the question to a red line or a red hering?

What is the feeling of balance, how could it be learned?

Points are a guide, but not the holy "42".

I personally fear to loose the balance.

Re: Learning Heroes - Basic Elements and Balance

I am from germany, please correct my spelling and grammer errors.

Reading the MP thread - In general terms, when is a MP abusive?

When its powers could never be activated simultaniousely because of game mechanics. (e.g A bunch of attack powers.)

It is not abusive if it would have an advantage to run all powers at the same time. (e.g. Flight, Force Wall, Attack Power)

Do you disagree and why?

I am from germany, please correct my spelling and grammer errors.

Reading the MP thread - In general terms, when is a MP abusive?

When its powers could never be activated simultaniousely because of game mechanics. (e.g A bunch of attack powers.)

It is not abusive if it would have an advantage to run all powers at the same time. (e.g. Flight, Force Wall, Attack Power)

Do you disagree and why?

There is no advantage for running multiple Multipower Powers at the same time. For that you just need to increase the size of the reserve pool, or use flexible/multi slots and be happy with less-than-perfect strength, or use an Elemental Control, which saves points like a Multipower but does not restrict use of the slots under it.

You really ought to ignore that MP thread for a while. There's some good debate in there but it's only going to confuse the heck out of a new player. And a Multipower is most certainly not abusive if filled with attack powers. That's their primary purpose, if you ask me.

For now, just remember that each power framework has a method to its madness.

An EC is a related group of powers.

A MP is a multi-purpose, single power.

A VPP is a power with no strict implementation of usage.

Finally, just use what best fits the character, if it needs one, and discuss it with your GM.

A bunch of attack powers could be activated simultaneously outside a Multipower using a Multiple Power Attack. In any case, a series of attacks is a common use for a Multipower.

A Multipower of Growth and Shrinking is not, in my opinion, abusive either.

The Multipower simply acknowledges a cost savings for a number of powers which will never be available at the same time.

Note also that powers in a multipower could be used simultaneouslyt, using Flexible slots, but likely at reduced power, unless the pool exceeds the AP of the powers desired to be used together.

There is no advantage for running multiple Multipower Powers at the same time.

You mean no advantage like in "power advantage" (e.g. penetrating) - i agree. But there is a benefit of beeing able to have 3 powers running at the same time, and beeing forced to choose one of them.

You can be able to run all powers in you mp but that would cost more than having all your powers outside of the mp.

The question is: at wich point is a mp abusive.

You really ought to ignore that MP thread for a while

I totally agree. They seem to concentrate on a special combination of powers rather than searching for a general answer.

And a Multipower is most certainly not abusive if filled with attack powers. That's their primary purpose, if you ask me.

A bunch of attack powers could be activated simultaneously outside a Multipower using a Multiple Power Attack.

each power framework has a method to its madness.

Ok maybe attack powers is too concrete, or maybe not.

If the powers can ba default not be used together, the point saving seem to be not appropiate. its like an disadvantage wich is none. You get to save points on the basis that you can not use the powers together. If the basis is irrelevant, why should you save points?

The Multipower simply acknowledges a cost savings for a number of powers which will never be available at the same time.

A Multipower of Growth and Shrinking is not, in my opinion, abusive either.

Ok i see your argument.

I conclude:

MP is not abusive if

*You use them for power wich cant be used together because you need to bind points and should be indemnifined for having powers you cant use (like 50% useless powers)

*You use them for powers wich could would give an advantage to be run together.

Does this leave a gap where mp get abusive?