multiple magics and dispelling

cutsleeve

Ive been wondering recently about magic systems and i know that theres plenty of ways fo creating magic systems. But what would be the best way of creating conflicting magic systems which dispell each other differantly.

I want to create a fantasy campaign where elves and humans use differing forms of magic one arcadian and the other arcane. However arcadian magic dispells arcane easier then arcane dispels arcadian magic and in the elves home realm arcadian magic does it even better.

what i was thinking is for characters who where not using "divine" magic would have to choose which magic theyre using and then adding a 1d6 bonus to dispell/supress rolls vrs. arcane magic for those who use arcadian. this would basically be a "world constant" and then characters with arcane magic would maybe get a -1/2 limitation on there spells to balance it out a little.

I'd like to hear what ideas anyone else has on the subject.

-1/2 is pretty steep for a mere +1d6 bonus to dispel.

Some suggestions for alternatives:

Put a cap on arcane dispels and suppresses.

Add a limitation to arcane dispels and suppresses -- 1/2 effect vs arcadian magic (-1/2)

Make all arcadian magic difficult to dispel, and then give arcadian dispels and suppresses some bonus dice only to dispel arcadian magic

I can probably come up with more if I have time to think about it....

Or you can just hand wave it without any solid definition from the rulebook. Just say that within Elven borders, X happens, against magic Y, magic Z gets a bonus. A suggestion from of course, the rulebook. As long as you put it down in your camapaign rules, you should be ok without having to require certain advantages or limitations.

I don't recall the exact pages, but it had to do with things like Sonics underwater can get a bonus for free, and stuff like that.

And Eskimos use Arctic Magick, and Aliens use Arcturan Magick.....

If a character is going to spend a lot of time underwater, AND a lot of time in space, a sonic attack might still cost normally.

But in this case, it looks like Arcane magicians will have a consistent disadvantage. That's worth points somewhere.

Give them Susceptibility, 3 dice of Dispel/Suppress/Drain, and 1 die triggers if an Arcadian Dispel is cast at them, and maybe all 3 if it happens in an Elven forest. Or maybe 2, and all 3 if DEEP in the woods.

Lucius Alexander

A palindromedary is its own reward.