FH weapon damage

atlascott

Re: FH weapon damage

Aw shoot.. the way these characters a built a single High DEX Fighter with Martial Maneuvers could probably take 'em both.

I posted some more thoughts on this up in the Hero Discussion Forum thread.

Basically it sounds like these two guys took the DnD Mentality of Fighter = STR and haven't really understood that in Hero you need DEX as much, if not more, in a Fighter type to be effective in combat.

I think it will be easy to get them to turn from their Damage Dealing Ways to a more amicable scenario of balance in the character.

Ok, here's a suggestion.

If you REALLY want to show them the error of their combat only ways, but NOT utterly ruin/kill them (but embarass them to no end!), then you might do this.

Have them try to be guarding some person or item in a "social" setting. I.E. A local merchant asks them to bodyguard their daughter while she is out with a less than reptuable person, but to do it subtley. If she finds out, daddy (and therefore the characters) will catch no end of hell.

Or, the characters are waiting in the common room of an inn, for some less than reputable character to show up so they can grab him.

In either case: someone slips a strong laxative into their drinks/soup.

After that, I think they might realize that there's more to winning, both a fight AND a scenario, than just "breaking stuff to look tough."

Or. Both players sit there, recognize a problem that cannot be solved with direct physical violence, and pout. We can create scenarios all day long wherein force isn't going to win. "Okay team, you need to insert quietly into this remote village. Spread the word that you're looking for black-market enchanted swords - low end, but in bulk. Expect to be under close scrutiny and at the wrong end of a wand the entire time. Be smart, don't start fights you can't win. Your objective is to meet and gain intelligence on THIS man... (insert illusion here)...." and so on.

Great. When do we kill ****?

I'm not saying any of our suggestions are bad, just that I've encountered who have thier opinions and don't want them clouded by the truth.

A simple way to handle this si simply to explain to your munchkins, er, players, that:

a) yes, bigger weapons do more damage and yes, they can - at appropriate cost - get bigger weapons made with higher base damage.

and

B) that simply because of the mass involved, bigger weapons tend to be a bit clumsier.

A giant can use a two handed sword like a longsword because of his size. Of course he can't crank out the same damage as he could with a giant-size two handed sword, but it's handier for him. OTOH, a hobbit with a STR spell active might be able to swing that same 2 handed sword just as hard as the giant but simply because of its size, it's going to be pretty unwieldly.

Then, simply add a -2 OCV for every DC above the normal for a weapon of that size. Of course if they want to build a 3d6 "Buster" sword, they can, but they won't hit Dick (or Jane) with it most of the time.

cheers, Mark

Heck, just let them use Giant sized weapons scaled up using the rules from FH, page 153. It's not like the system doesn't have options for the situation... it is, however, true that using the scaling up rules renders said weapons pretty useless.

They might not even realize right off the bat that they're being punked.