Vibora Bay vs. Hudson City

Super Squirrel

Lets hypothetically say I was going to start an apocolypse in the Champions Universe. It would be a Heroic level game that would be set in one of the two cities.

What I would like to know is which of these two books provides the most details to the city itself. I know Hudson City has a very detailed map system to it. But I don't know if it is the contender for city content.

Re: Vibora Bay vs. Hudson City

I love Vibora Bay because I love mystical supers, but if you're doing a heroic-level game where supers aren't a factor then Hudson City has it beat by a mile on the content front. This is the most detailed fictional modern-day city setting I've ever seen: places, people, culture, history all lovingly delineated, backed up by Keith Curtis's magnificent maps. There's even more stuff about it available for download in the "Free Stuff" section of the website. The overall tone of the book is pretty dark, but if you're doing an apocalypse that will most likely work well for you. :thumbup:

Just judging by the size of the two books alone it becomes obvious that Hudson City contains more information. :)

Depending upon the reason for the apocolypse Vibora Bay might be a better choice [it already has a built-in possible catalyst]. Since the games I play in are generally not grim & gritty I've found that I like Vibora Bay more then Hudson City [though our GM did steal some info from HC for Gotham City in our game]. I've stolen quite a bit out of Vibora Bay from my upcoming Miami game.

I have both books. If you are going for a Heroic level game then Hudson City, by far, is the best choice. My current campaign is based in Hudson City, but I am sure that the PCs will eventually have cause to visit Vibora Bay (as soon as my devious mind can cook-up a good plot).

Good catch on the VB catalyst, MS. :yes:

SS, it's interesting that you say you want to set this off in the "Champions Universe" rather than the general "Hero Universe." Does that mean you want the supers background to the setting to figure into the event on some level? If so I have to agree with MitchellS that Vibora Bay has a lot to recommend it.

Supers aren't in this world. I didn't want to mention it only because I knew that I would get a lot of blanket "Hudson City is better" responses. I'm looking strictly for details of the city.

In a Shadowrun Game once, we took a big piece of posterboard and made a map of an entire district of Seattle. We had a nice map going for us. It was lamanated and we used it for all kinds of things. What I'm more interested in, as far as comparison, is which provides more details along the line of "Joe's Gunshop is here" and "The grocerymart is there" than "Mr. Smith is the major of this city."

84% of the population is going to die. NPCs aren't important. City locations are.

Hudson City has much better and more detailed maps of the city. The various neighborhoods are described individually along with example shops, entertainment and other details about that specific part of the city. It is much more detailed that Vibora Bay and has a much more real world feel to it than Vibora Bay.

Hudson City has a worse crime problem than any real-world city though. It has good details on the various street gangs, and organized crime groups in the city. From generic street gangs in the projects, Hispanic gangs, Chinese tongs, Yakuza, Mafia families, assorted crime and smut lords.

There are also a few batman-esque type criminals and organizations around but there is more of that flavor of things in Dark Champions the Animated Series. Hudson City is an ideal setting for a deadly, gritty campaign.

The City, County, State and Federal Law enforcement agencies are details to some extent. There is info about TV and Radio stations, the newspapers and even some data about local new personalities, etc.

Supers aren't in this world. I didn't want to mention it only because I knew that I would get a lot of blanket "Hudson City is better" responses. I'm looking strictly for details of the city.

In a Shadowrun Game once, we took a big piece of posterboard and made a map of an entire district of Seattle. We had a nice map going for us. It was lamanated and we used it for all kinds of things. What I'm more interested in, as far as comparison, is which provides more details along the line of "Joe's Gunshop is here" and "The grocerymart is there" than "Mr. Smith is the major of this city."

84% of the population is going to die. NPCs aren't important. City locations are.

We must be on the same psychic wavelength or something....

I was just pondering picking up a city sourcebook for PA purposes, and was wondering which would give me the best mileage.

Thanks for starting the thread.