Amerca's Best Comics, Tom Strong, Promethea, Etc

OddHat

I've really been enjoying the Tom Strong TPBs. Just finished the fourth, as well as the second volume of Terra Obscura. Moore's Silver Age world is often a bit heavy on thinly veiled commentary on the medium rather than story (Ellis does this even more), but I'm still impressed with it.

So, if you have read ABC, what did you think? In the same kind of semi-Silver Age style, what TPBs and books would you suggest?

Re: Amerca's Best Comics, Tom Strong, Promethea, Etc

There is no one better at turning the medium of mainstream comics on its ear than Alan Moore. If you read just one writer, ever, ever, it had better be him. Although not Silver Agey in the same way, check out Top 10. NYPD Blue meets the Legion of Super-Heroes, with great art to boot.

I've never read Top 10, but I have Tom Strong and a bit of Promethea. Tom Strong is brilliant work. I find it utterly charming and a love letter to sixty years of accumulated comic book tropes. Moore once said that the Watchmen deconstructed superheroes and Tom Strong is his re-construction.

I greatly enjoyed the satirical aspects of Promethea. But it lost me a couple of issues in, when it switched to a rather leaden stream of philosophical mumbo-jumbo. I never found the desire to pick up another issue.

There is no one better at turning the medium of mainstream comics on its ear than Alan Moore. If you read just one writer' date=' ever, ever, it had better be him. Although not Silver Agey in the same way, check out Top 10. NYPD Blue meets the Legion of Super-Heroes, with great art to boot.[/quote']

I liked Top 10, and SMAX. If there was a problem with it, it was that the world didn't quite feel like it hung together. It's strange, I have no problem suspending my disbelief with flying girls in spandex and ancient mystic forces, but the theme of sending all the exceptional people and Superhumans to a distant city to get rid of them just never worked for me. I may be too literal a thinker.

I greatly enjoyed the satirical aspects of Promethea. But it lost me a couple of issues in, when it switched to a rather leaden stream of philosophical mumbo-jumbo. I never found the desire to pick up another issue.

I didn't mind the journey through the Kabalah, but I didn't like the end of the series. It reminded me of Rick Veitch and "The One", where I felt like the story was building up to something really interesting and it turned out to be an excuse to smoke pot and chill in the park.

I liked Top 10' date=' and SMAX. If there was a problem with it, it was that the world didn't quite feel like it hung together. It's strange, I have no problem suspending my disbelief with flying girls in spandex and ancient mystic forces, but the theme of sending all the exceptional people and Superhumans to a distant city to get rid of them just never worked for me. I may be too literal a thinker.[/quote']

I love the ABC line. Well, I loved it. There are still some pretty good Non Alan Moore stuff being made for it, like Rick Veitch's stand alone Grey Shirt Graphic Novel, and Tom Strongs Terrific Tales. However, they really "hat"ed up the New Top 10, it's barely readable now.

anywya, I think Promethea was really some of his best work period. I think it's first equal with Watchmen and definily better than From Hell.

Also, who could not love the entire Sci Fi Cowboy Posse in book 3 of Tom Strong?

I didn't mind the journey through the Kabalah' date=' but I didn't like the end of the series. It reminded me of Rick Veitch and "The One", where I felt like the story was building up to something really interesting and it turned out to be an excuse to smoke pot and chill in the park.[/quote']

I got burned waiting for Dave Sim to get to the frickin' point in post-High Society Cerebus. Since then I've had little tolerance for self-indulgent philosophy in a comic book.

I got burned waiting for Dave Sim to get to the frickin' point in post-High Society Cerebus. Since then I've had little tolerance for self-indulgent philosophy in a comic book.

Yup. I still have all of those TPBs up to High Society. I understand he went off the deep end fairly severely as the series wound down.

This being the Champions forum' date=' might as well trot out the HERO writeups - in this case, from [i']Top 10[/i]: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionscomic/comicchar.html#TEN

I have a roughly layout of Tom Strong on the hard drive. I need to get back to that.

And I want to get TPB 4 soon.

I foresee another order from Amazon!!!

But Usagi Yojimbo comes first!