Sending spell

Wile_e01

I've been trying to create an affordable version of the D&D spell sending in HERO. Basically the spell would allow me to send a message to a farmilliar recipent as long as they are on the same plane od existance and get a reply back from them. The D&D version is built on 25 words or less for both sending and reply. Any help in building this power with a 90 point active point cap?

Re: Sending spell

I've been trying to create an affordable version of the D&D spell sending in HERO. Basically the spell would allow me to send a message to a farmilliar recipent as long as they are on the same plane od existance and get a reply back from them. The D&D version is built on 25 words or less for both sending and reply. Any help in building this power with a 90 point active point cap?

Take a look at the Power Mind Link, and pay particular attention to the No LOS Adder. With some appropriate Limitations, you should get the exact nature and effect of that spell. And it will fall well under 90 active points.

Hmm, it sounds like two powers.

Mind Scan (Locates your friend, no matter where, and allows him to be the focus of a mental power, mainly...)

You need greater than EGO for Communication, -20 for Same Place of Existance.

6D6 Mind Scan, +20 OCV (30+40 points)

Mind Link with Anyone (15 points)

This puts it in the neigherbor of 85 active points.

Hmm, it sounds like two powers.

Mind Scan (Locates your friend, no matter where, and allows him to be the focus of a mental power, mainly...)

You need greater than EGO for Communication, -20 for Same Place of Existance.

6D6 Mind Scan, +20 OCV (30+40 points)

Mind Link with Anyone (15 points)

This puts it in the neigherbor of 85 active points.

Or just buy the Mind Link and pay 10 points for the No LOS Adder and save 60 points.

Mind link is peachy if you knoew in advance who (within a group) you are likely to want to send a message to.

To send to ANYONE you need mind scan and....well, I'd probably STILL go with mind link - if you got a sudden call out of the blue "hello, caller wants to connect to your mind via telepathy" would you accept the call? Mind link is at least 'safe'

i also came up with an idea to do it as a summon with an invisible messenger that was really quick. although i'm not sure if that's cheezing the rules. it would be a good way to keep the active points down and still be able to get a message to the recipient and get a reply back. Thoughts?

i also came up with an idea to do it as a summon with an invisible messenger that was really quick. although i'm not sure if that's cheezing the rules. it would be a good way to keep the active points down and still be able to get a message to the recipient and get a reply back. Thoughts?

Sure. And buy the messenger a Mind Link it can only use with its Summoner; that way once it gets where it is going you can have instantaneous communication. That'll cost you like an extra 1 point. :D

The only trouble with a messenger might be having it find the target, and keeping it on track while it's on its way. It also might mean physical or other obstacles can start to play a factor, whereas a direct Mind Link circumvents that stuff.

Mind Link:

Any 1 Mind - 15pts

No LOS Needed - +10pts with a caveat.

No LOS Needed states that a character may establish a Mind Link with a number of persons = INT/5, but those persons must be predefined. A person can be changed by switching "slots" with a new person by Standard LOS.

So, for 25pts you can establish a Mind Link with any 1 person from a predefined group of people whose number is equal to your INT/5.

GM Handwavium could set a Campaign Standard that you could establish a Mind Link with anyone with that Power if they had something like their name or some other identifying thing...

Or you have to go the more expensive route of Mind Scan for the mind then the Mind Link to connect.

Mind Scan isn't quite right because:

1) It tells you *where* the person is, which this power (as I understand it) isn't meant to do.

2) It allows the use of any or all mental powers through the Scan, which this power isn't meant to do.

3) It can trigger Mental Damage Shields, which this power shouldn't do.

Dust Angel, and Ghost Raven are correct, that all you need is Mind Link. If you don't like the hand-waviness of allowing contact with any specified person you know, instead of the INT/5, needing LOS to swap them out, you could always charge an additional adder, say +5 (Maybe +10, but is it really worth that much?), to allow it. Or to be strictly book-legal, you could buy extra INT, "Only to increase the maximum number of people you can Mind Link to," a -2 limitation at least.

The good news is you can save a few points with the Limitation "Instant" or something similar "Only allows a single message and responce" -1/4.

GM Handwavium could set a Campaign Standard that you could establish a Mind Link with anyone with that Power if they had something like their name or some other identifying thing...

Handwavium is my favorite alloy.

What you suggest isn't far from what I normally do. As a general default, I waive the INT/5 predefined thingy and just say it's replaced with "any familiar mind" with "familiar mind" defined as any target the character would receive a +3 ECV bonus to contact using Mind Scan.

I only did it to amuse myself. If it amused others, even better. I am a mad scientist after all.

"Here, I've taken the brain of a lesbian, and put it into the body of a man who works for the phone company..."

(Name the movie.)

Don't think I've seen the movie, but I've said for a long time that I feel in some respects like a lesbian born in a man's body. :D

"Here, I've taken the brain of a lesbian, and put it into the body of a man who works for the phone company..."

Actually, that sounds like something Eddie Izzard would say... and now that I'm in the mood to watch one of his shows, I should know by tomorrow (well, I should know if it's Dressed to Kill or not, and if it is, I said it first!).