So ... uhm ... Pulp ... yeah.

CrosshairCollie

Re: So ... uhm ... Pulp ... yeah.

Wow... I heard about him like.... (thinks) nearly 20 years ago' date=' when an old room mate described a game he saw/was in at a con.[/quote']

Yup. Bandit made his debut with the rest of the Hero Auxiliary Corps JI characters during Origins 1985 at Towson University in Baltimore.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Bandit made his debut with the rest of the Hero Auxiliary Corps JI characters during Origins 1985 at Towson University in Baltimore.

Hah! That must have been it, as I lived in Columbia, Maryland at the time (errr... and I still do, now).

Hmm... as I am going to GenCon (with Nestor) it sounds like I need to sign up for one of you games and experience some of this first hand!

Thanks for the help, all. I think I have something workable.

Now I just have to hope I can convince him to make a couple of changes to his running. I know that sounds arrogant, but he's shown a marked tendency to simply roll dice then ask a player if ## hits, without telling us what's going on. In d20 it's only annoying, as there's rarely anything you can do in reaction to someone else's attack to boost your chances of survival (and a bit dull, as I'd really like SOME description of what's going on), but in HERO, where you have Abort to Dodge, Roll with Punch, Dive for Cover, and all that, he really, REALLY needs to let us know what's going on!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's some words from an avowed pulp-phobe:

/snip

OK, I'm guilty of slamming a genre. I apologize. But that's what I think of pulp, and if you've never done pulp before, maybe you're the same sort of player I am. Your mileage is guaranteed to vary.

This, of course, assumes the GM is such a hack that he tries to simulate the genre exactly and not just use the cool bits while dropping the bad ones. It also fails to take into account that pulp was highly original for its time and a lot of it, while required to be hackneyed by the editors, was actually inspired in terms of raw creativity. There was also a lot of different kinds of pulp. Some was better than others.

This' date=' of course, assumes the GM is such a hack that he tries to simulate the genre exactly and not just use the cool bits while dropping the bad ones.[/quote']

The bad news, of course, is I'm not sure if that won't happen. His last running attempt qualified in the 'lackluster, but showed potential', but I'm not sure if it was a disconnect with the material or general inexperience/nervousness.

• 4 weeks later...

*casts Animate Thread*

I feel compelled to tell this story. I'm not sure why. The group's occassionally errant fifth member is questionable on joining the Pulp Hero game (I would presume for many of the reasons I started this thread; not really knowing what the Pulp genre entails), and yet, I look at his usual roleplaying.

Characters who deal with things directly and violently. D&D, always plays fighters or other melee/beatstick types, blast-heavy wizards (including the 'I don't even have Detect Magic on my list' Warmage), or War clerics. In Champions, favors bricks and blasters with few 'auxiliary' powers (including one magnetic character with no magnetic TK!). One power-suited decided to open a locked door on a residential home by ripping it off its hinges, then opted for the missiles, before we reminded him that the group actually had someone with Lockpicking. One amusing game featured him trying to 'tank' with a rogue (tangent: he spelled it 'rouge', for which he recieved much ribbing), which obviously didn't work well.

His characters are almost invariably swaggering tough-guy types, who treat female members of the group* protectively, and have little depth, and doesn't think twice when any potentially angst-inducing situations are put before him ("Villain's my Dad? Oh well." *SMACK*). Reluctance against killing or violence (in any capacity) is rare, and a desire to do so seems more likely.

Now, is it me, or does it actually sound like he'd fit the genre to a T?

*Female Player's characters, actually ... he doesn't treat female characters of male players that way, unless you count female NPCs of male GMs. Go figure. As a GM, he also treats the female player's characters very chauvanistically, by having an NPC save them even when they're not in any real danger, and often relegating them to 'baby-sitting' roles.

Now, is it me, or does it actually sound like he'd fit the genre to a T?

Snort.

Pfft.

Heheheheheheheheh.

Oh yeah. Give him a brute macho ex-boxer with a bad temper who hangs around with his rich old buddy or somesuch and he'd be great. His normal attitudes would pass for great roleplaying.

Snort.

Pfft.

Heheheheheheheheh.

Oh yeah. Give him a brute macho ex-boxer with a bad temper who hangs around with his rich old buddy or somesuch and he'd be great. His normal attitudes would pass for great roleplaying.

Ironically, that's pretty close to a character concept I was tempted to pitch to him, though I get the feeling he'd rather play someone more into firearms (he likes guns. He doesn't really know anything *about* them, but he likes playing characters who use guns, even when they have other things that would be more effective). Maybe try for the reformed (or reforming) ex-gangster or somesuch.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump.

Hey Collie, did this ever take off? Care to share your experiences?

Well, due to the gaming group setup, we have a four-GM weekly rotation, and we had to skip the second game due to GM-work-exhaustion issues. The first game was a bit of a slow-starter (largely on the 'get the group together' issue).