Hero Universe Fourth Millennium: My Take

BobGreenwade

After a couple of years of pondering and ruminating, here (roughly) is how I'd arrange the Fourth Millennium of the Hero Universe:

3000-3150: Galactic Champions: Covered (more or less) in the book by that title, this is high-powered interstellar superhero adventure.

3150-3300: The Andromeda War: Around 3150 forces from the Andromeda Galaxy attack the Milky Way, with its own ships and superhumans with sufficient power to give ours considerable grief. Mechanon, the Elder Worm, and certain other forces work to extend the war for their own purposes. Even when the Andromedans are finally beaten off the galaxy's troubles aren't over, as both Tyrranon and V'han begin to vie for control of our dimension! It all comes to a major climax as the Kings of Edom themselves attempt entry.

3300-3600: Space Wizards: Following the attempted invasion by the Kings of Edom, magic in the universe is realigned. There are far fewer super-beings, but ritual magic and other magical "skills" (such as those found in Fantasy Hero make a return. In the meantime, after a century and a half of the most violent war anyone has ever seen, society in the Milky Way is in a shambles... and many forces want to keep it that way. Reconstruction has many false starts....

3300-3500: Shattered Earth: Meanwhile, Earth (along with several other planets, including Malva) have been cut off from the rest of the galaxy by cosmic and/or mystic shields. The inhabitants of these places are left to fend for themselves, rebuilding their shattered worlds with the infrastructures destroyed and resources at a premium.

Once the shields are lifted in c. 3500 the galaxy's reconstruction can begin in earnest.

3600-3700: The New Federation: The Galactic Federation reforms, with an entirely new texture to the society to take the re-emergence of magic into account. Though nearly all species in the Milky Way (including the Ackalians, Thorgons, Varanyi, and Roin'esh) take part, there are still factions (including VIPER and Mechanon) who have their own desires.

3800-4000: The Intergalactic Union: The Milky Way's Galactic Federation joins with its Andromedan counterpart, along with peoples from other galaxies in the Local Galactic Cluster, in a new intergalactic trade union -- which, naturally, brings its own problems and obstacles.

Feedback from all comers (esp. the DOJ Guys) would be very welcome. (If I were to write one of the above, my first choice would be Space Wizards.)

Re: Hero Universe Fourth Millennium: My Take

I like the 4th millenium idea. Not really sure why the conceit recurs that human beings haven't changed much biologically/intellectually in 2000 years' date=' though.:) [/quote'] It's because they really haven't.

As to the longevity, people will probably live longer then than today for much the same reason that we live longer now than people one or two millennia ago: better medical care.

I like the time line. The only title that I am not a huge fan of is the Space Wizards, but that is my own personal bias against powerful magic in space. I do like the idea of the shattered federation though. Would be a brutal time and place to play in, especially the human survivors that have been cut off from Earth. Actually it might make sense for the home worlds of all the major races to be cut off from the galaxy. Done by the Andromedans as a way to break the will of the major races. (or done by the races powerful enough trying to protect their planets from invasion)

It's because they really haven't.

As to the longevity, people will probably live longer then than today for much the same reason that we live longer now than people one or two millennia ago: better medical care.

well, I mean the next two thousand years--that's an immensely long time on the tech scale--two hundred years ago, we didn't even have steam engines yet, nor did we have antiseptics or antibiotics, blood transfusions, etc.

I just read an article yesterday that said average life expectancy may go up 20 years(to about 100) for 1st world citizens by 2030.

Not to mention genetic engineering, nanotech, cybernetics, etc.--already being done in the Cyber Hero genre in the 21st century. If there's a discontinuity, there should be some explanation in the source material why biotech isn't orders of magnitude superior in the future.

anyway, just a minor quibble on my part. :)

I would very much like to see what you have for ideas with regards to the Space Wizards era.

Far-Future High-Magic campaigns aren't exactly common (if they exist at all) and would really like to see how you envision it.

TB

I'm only aware of Spelljammer being even remotely close. Coincidentally that book came out (or, at least, I first saw it) only a couple of months after I first got the idea for Space Wizards using the Hero System.

As for how to put it together, I'm going to have to wait until I can get my copy of FH and the two FHGs. There'll be plenty of technomancy, of course, along with everything else -- and some unlikely candidates for leading non-Human species (such as Xenovores, Hzeel, and Hemalakites).

I'm only aware of Spelljammer being even remotely close. Coincidentally that book came out (or' date=' at least, I first saw it) only a couple of months after I first got the idea for [i']Space Wizards[/i] using the Hero System.

As for how to put it together, I'm going to have to wait until I can get my copy of FH and the two FHGs. There'll be plenty of technomancy, of course, along with everything else -- and some unlikely candidates for leading non-Human species (such as Xenovores, Hzeel, and Hemalakites).

If you can get your hands on a copy of Dark Space by ICE somewhere, I'd recommend that.

I would very much like to see what you have for ideas with regards to the Space Wizards era.

Far-Future High-Magic campaigns aren't exactly common (if they exist at all) and would really like to see how you envision it.

I'm only aware of Spelljammer being even remotely close. Coincidentally that book came out (or, at least, I first saw it) only a couple of months after I first got the idea for Space Wizards using the Hero System.

The Dying Earth series by Jack Vance (Rialto the Marvelous, etc.) is a great example. NB: it is set in the far future, and there is almost no sign of, nor rememberence of, technology.

I'm only aware of Spelljammer being even remotely close. Coincidentally that book came out (or' date=' at least, I first saw it) only a couple of months after I first got the idea for [i']Space Wizards[/i] using the Hero System.

Fantasy Flight Games (FGU) published a short lived campaign system for D20 called Dragonstar, that was IMHO probably the best star faring fantasy setting I have seen. It was a much more believable backdrop than Spelljammer. I don't know where one would get the books now though.

I like the 4th millenium idea. Not really sure why the conceit recurs that human beings haven't changed much biologically/intellectually in 2000 years, though.:)

Heck, Terran Empire and Galactic Federation humans don't even have 1 point of longevity as a "given".

They shouldn't spend a point on it though - it's a house rule for the setting. It should be defined in the background and not involve points.

Fantasy Flight Games (FGU) published a short lived campaign system for D20 called Dragonstar' date=' that was IMHO probably the best [i']star faring fantasy[/i] setting I have seen. It was a much more believable backdrop than Spelljammer. I don't know where one would get the books now though.

Had much fun with Dragonstar. My FLGS actually has most of them available.

I'll take a look at Dark Space and Dragonstar if I ever get down to actually writing Space Wizards.

Do bear in mind that just in this thread I'm already getting a more enthusiastic response than I expected.

Responding to BlackSword's earlier note: to play in the HU galaxy during a dangerous, chaotic time without magic, just turn to the period between the Xenovore Wars and the Imperial Era. The Space Wizards era would be even more dangerous, though, because you'd also have the Thane, Tyrranon, VIPER, the remnants of Mechanon, and other magical and super-tech forces to contend with.

Responding to BlackSword's earlier note: to play in the HU galaxy during a dangerous' date=' chaotic time without magic, just turn to the period between the Xenovore Wars and the Imperial Era. The [i']Space Wizards[/i] era would be even more dangerous, though, because you'd also have the Thane, Tyrranon, VIPER, the remnants of Mechanon, and other magical and super-tech forces to contend with.

As I said, its my own personal bias against lots of magic in SF. People are obviously interested in it, but its not my cup o' tea. :)