Mental Illusions....

bryanb

I've got a MI question that I hope Herodom assembled will be able to help me with:

Set scenario = Heroes fighting giant lizard creature

Mentalist creates an illusion that a Gunship flies through the city and shoots the creature in the eye, effectively blinding it - how would you handle this?

To me it simulates a flash with an extended time advantage -calculated by the AP on the MI dice rolled? Does the "Does STUN" and/or "Does BODY" adder need to be applied?

If this is the case can MI simulate any power?

Thanks

Since the lizard probably doesn't know what a Gunship is, nothing much would happen. =)

j/k

Technically, you'd use a Major Transform for permanent blinding instead of Flash. Though, since it's an illusion, I probably wouldn't worry about mapping all that out to the FX. I'd just have the critter think it's blinded if the illusion works. (Provided it can think that well...)

According to The Ultimate Mentalist (p. 36), if you want a Mental Illusion attack to do some type of damage other than Stun and Body (e.g. Flash or Entangle), you need to roll +20 effect vs Ego in addition to any other appropriate modifiers. A Constant effect like Entangle would require the illusionist to continue paying END to maintain it.

• 7 years later...

Re: Mental Illusions....

Sorry about the necro, but for this it seems like it's simply a major change of setting (+20 effect) the entire world to black. Don't really need to do more than that, the jet and such is just the means used to help suspend disbelief about the action.