Painful Entangle

Re: Painful Entangle

...an Entangle that causes pain but not actual damage...

You're thinking about Special Effects and not Game Effects.

Since there is no Game Effect for pain, you can just define the power saying it causes pain, but no real damage and be done with it. That's how HERO System works.

Now, if on the other hand, you want the pain to actually do something to the entangled character... then I'd have to ask you what you'd like the pain to do to her?

Does she have to make an EGO Roll to try again?

You need to think about it backwards in this game... don't think about pain and ask how to build it... think about what game effect you want and then call it pain.

It'll save you a ton of headaches when you finally figure that out.

Peace,

-k

How do you model an Entangle that causes pain but not actual damage when living beings attempt to free themselves from it?

As actingkeith said, you can simply say "feels pain" is part of the SFX and be done with it (a marvelous idea and repped). However, if you do want there to be a mechanical effect, such as loss of STUN, you can easily simulate it with the Feedback Advantage, with a conditional modifier (-0) that it only STUN damage is fed back and BODY is ignored (except for damaging the Entangle of course).

Now' date=' if on the other hand, you want the pain to actually [i']do[/i] something to the entangled character... then I'd have to ask you what you'd like the pain to do to her?

Does she have to make an EGO Roll to try again?

Now this was what I thought of immediately, though I thought "Must make EGO roll to attempt break-out".

Wasn't sure how to cost this into the Entangle though. Sean's Mind Control could be a way though that would require an CON roll?

My thought was to link two entangles, one would be a continuous uncontrollable entangle based on PRE, no BODY and limited DEF which would have to be broken for the normal entangle to be attacked. Each time the PRE entangle was broken then the normal entangle would potentially take damage and then the PRE entangle would reset due to its continuous uncontrollable nature. The PRE entangle would stop resetting when the normal entangle was broken.

Expensive I think but it would be a powerful prison for many people.

Doc

Semi-non-sequitur, but how's this:

Entangle 6d6/6 DEF 60 points

LINKED:

Flight 8" UAA uncontrolled 0 END range (+2.5/-0.5) 37 points

Basically you englobe the target in a helium balloon, so when they break out they have a nice fall to look forward to :)

Semi-non-sequitur, but how's this:

Entangle 6d6/6 DEF 60 points

LINKED:

Flight 8" UAA uncontrolled 0 END range (+2.5/-0.5) 37 points

Basically you englobe the target in a helium balloon, so when they break out they have a nice fall to look forward to :)

Ooh! Ooh! Are you a good witch or a bad witch?