Absorb + MP

Zed-F

So supposing I have a character with the following:

40 MyMultipower

8m 1. Absorb 8d6 to STR

Are the absorbed points available even after the slot is switched away from, as is the case with Aid?

If not, supposing I only allocate 20 points of the reserve to the absorption slot. How do I determine how many of my absorbed points are currently available?

See 5ER 108.

Ok, for the benefit of someone who has FREd, but not 5ER, what does this say?

Re: Absorb + MP

Ok' date=' for the benefit of someone who has FREd, but not 5ER, what does this say?[/quote']

He's directing you to the chapter on Powers, specifically the section Categories of Power, specifically in regards to Adjustment Powers and their affects on power frameworks. Check out FREd pg. 74-5. I believe it says (mostly) the same thing. If there are any differences in the two I'll get back to you.

Ok' date=' for the benefit of someone who has FREd, but not 5ER, what does this say?[/quote']

Basically... points fade normally, regardless of whether you continue to allocate points to the power.

It doesn't directly state anything about the latter case, but common sense should take over. In other words, if you only allocate 20 pts (4d6 Absorbtion), the max to power can boost is by 24 points. If you had previously powered it at a higher level, and aborbed more than 24 points, you cannot absorb any more. However, the ability to absorb more points has nothing to do with the current level of the boost, only the max you can add to the target power/ability.

Does this make sense?

I don't have the book in front of me, but I believe that any points you Absorb fade normally when you switch points away from Absorption in a Multipower. However, as Silbeg says, the max you can absorb will change if you allocate fewer points (be it half the total, or zero). Meaning if you get hit with more attacks and already have absorbed more than the "current" max, you don't gain any more points. But at the same time, you don't automaticlaly lose any you've already gained (they fade at the normal rate).

I'm not particularly in favour of this change (I'm sure it worked differently in earlier editions):

Absorb MP 60 active points:

1. 12d6 Absorb to STR

2. 12d6 Absorb to DEX

Cost: 72 points, and you can have up to 72 points added to each characteristic.

cf: Absorb 12d6 +1/4 advantage (absorb to STR or DEX one at a time) 75 points

More points and a higher AP to do it the 'standard way' than the MP route.

That's an almost insignificant difference when you are talking about that many points. The higher Active Cost is an easy trade off for being able to put the single Power in it's own slot in an MP (which would save more points than putting two separate Powers with lower Active Points in).

Allowing the point not to vanish immediately is a good balance for this.