Monster Manuals needed!

Kzinbane

I see the Champions universe filling up nicely with new books but see a big hole in the Fantasy realm where (IMO) a couple new books would be really nice. How about a Turakian age and Valdorian age Monster manual? One can't just assume that everything in the beastiary is there, and that's all there is. I don't know about others, but I'd buy the book if it were available!

Re: Monster Manuals needed!

Monsters' date=' Minions, and Marauders[/i'] is angled towards the Turakian setting. I'd call it the Turakian Monster Manual if I had to. :)

Is it now? Verrrry interesting. Me thinks I need to get a copy and have my mage spend some points in KS - exotic and dangerous monsters. It would not be fair for me to have the book without - it's hard for me not to tell my characters things that I know...

To clarify -- MMM is not "angled toward" the Turakian Age setting. It contains dozens of monsters and humanoids and such perfectly suitable for most Fantasy campaigns. As an added attraction it often contains short descriptions of specific people or monsters in the Turakian Age setting as examples. For instance, under "Elf, Dark" there's a sidebar about Hraynul Shadowstep, a specific Dark Elf in the Turakian Age setting. But the Dark Elf character sheet itself is not Turakian Age-specific. And for that matter, even Hraynul can be 'ported over with virtually no changes into any similar High Fantasy setting. ;)

I see the Champions universe filling up nicely with new books but see a big hole in the Fantasy realm where (IMO) a couple new books would be really nice. How about a Turakian age and Valdorian age Monster manual? One can't just assume that everything in the beastiary is there' date=' and that's all there is. I don't know about others, but I'd buy the book if it were available![/quote']

Current Releases:

HERO System Bestiary

Monster, Minions, & Marauders

Arcane Adversaries

Asian Bestiary, Volume 1

Future Releases:

Asian Bestiary, Volume 2

Celtic Bestiary

More later

QM

Thanks Steve and all, but that only puts us back to square one - we need a guide to the monsters and critters of the world during the Turakian age. The manuals already out don't do the trick. The world book is very detailed as far as the history, cities, etc. but has little or nothing about the plants animals and monsters and such that inhabit the world.

I suppose a GM could go thought he various publications already out and put together something of a list of what's real and what isn't - but at least I for one would gladly purchase a Turkanian age book of critters. Field guide to the Turkanian age - by Audobon or some early mage...

Thanks Steve and all, but that only puts us back to square one - we need a guide to the monsters and critters of the world during the Turakian age. The manuals already out don't do the trick. The world book is very detailed as far as the history, cities, etc. but has little or nothing about the plants animals and monsters and such that inhabit the world.

The monsters of Ambrethel (the world of the Turakian Age) are depicted in the HSB and MMM. There are probably a few others here and there, but not so many that I could fill even a small book with them.

The Valdorian Age is a Swords And Sorcery setting where "monsters" (in the classical gaming sense) don't really exist. Take the Carnivorous Ape and the Giant Snake from the HSB, and you've got most of your S&S monster needs covered pretty well most of the time. What few oddities may still exist here and there, in the dark corners of the world, can be found (or adapted from) the HSB and/or MMM.

So I think that in one respect what you're asking for is already available, and in another respect is unnecessary. You're certainly free to disagree -- that seems to be the national pasttime here on the boards ;) -- but we have no plans to do a "Turakian Bestiary" or "Valdorian Bestiary" because neither book is needed. I could see where I might get a DH article or an HPA out of the subject, if I felt like writing one, but that's about it.

Heck' date=' if you want a Valdorian Age bestiary, all you really need to do is look at the stuff I did for Conan's world on my website. Plenty of S&S-styled monsters there.[/quote']

Not to mention your critters of Skull Island most of which would work fine as well.

Not actually a lot of difference in the "monsters" you find in Pulp and most early "Valdorian style" S&S fantasy.