Steam Punk Fantasy Hero

Wolfe-Chan

Re: Steam Punk Fantasy Hero

Well I was reading that coal mines they are mainly found in swamplands here is a quote from Wikipedia.

Coal was formed in swamp ecosystems which persisted in lowland sedimentary basins similar, for instance, to the peat swamps of Borneo today. These swamp environments were formed during slow subsidence of passive continental margins, and most seem to have formed adjacent to estuarine and marine sediments suggesting that they may have been in tidal delta environments.

So that is why I am putting the city by the swamps and fens of the two or three rivers running from the mountains.

Yeah, it's formed in swamps. But it's formed millions of years ago. Look at places where coal is mined now...they're not swamps, because that would be dangerous and expensive.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah' date=' it's formed in swamps. But it's formed millions of years ago. Look at places where coal is mined now...they're not swamps, because that would be dangerous and expensive.[/quote']

Life is cheap when you are using serfs or slaves to mine, and a good water pump will help. I am not saying that the mines will be right in the swamp just on the parts that have mostly dried. I want the mining to be a dangerous thing so that coal is not a very common resource. As well as very expensive and well worth fighting over.

The reclaming of most of the land for the city from the fens and swamp will have put most of the mines under the city itself.

Also I think it would be more fun to have it like that so I guess I will have to suspend the old belief and hope players do not know where coal is supposed to found. Plus swamp monsters in the coal mines would make a good adventure. Some times I think that for the sake of fun you have to bend the rules of the nirmal world to make the setting that you want. (just not to much)

I wonder what would be a good coal mine monster, maybe someth8ing that eats coal?

Wolfe-Chan

Edean has a floating city, dubbed the City of Iron by outsiders but they call themselves the Citizens of Adavanse (Advance)

They are a steampunk/Magitech society. Outside the five great kingdoms. I've not really worked on them at all yet, but I keep watching these threads for ideas.

I have been working on the main city of Westerhiem and I have decided that it is going to be a large city that is growing up instead of out because of the marshy terrain that is around the city. So they are building larger taller buildings and some on top of others. The city is getting taller. So most of the streets are covered and the lower areas are the where the poor live and the rich live above them.

Any ideas or criticism on the city idea would be great.

I like the idea of a city being built up, and the 'high' roads slowly covering up the lower wards, very visual. I can imagine being on the ground floor, and only getting snippets of the sky, when it rains water drips down from the overpasses, looking up at night and seeing the bright glow of the upper city, while the low part is dimly illuminiated with a few gas lamps here and there.

As they are not able to move out, or up, the poorer districts will continue to become more crowded as refugees pour into the city.

One consideration will be how to move goods up, and down the city. Elevators? A large ramp that runs around the city (perhaps a current project)? There will have to be at least one nice road on the lower level leading to the city gates so nobles and merchants don't have to pass through the dreks to enter or leave the city.

Thieves with good acrobatics will be king, as they will be able to move in 3-dimensions which will greatly aid in their ability to escape from the law.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of a city being built up, and the 'high' roads slowly covering up the lower wards, very visual. I can imagine being on the ground floor, and only getting snippets of the sky, when it rains water drips down from the overpasses, looking up at night and seeing the bright glow of the upper city, while the low part is dimly illuminiated with a few gas lamps here and there.

As they are not able to move out, or up, the poorer districts will continue to become more crowded as refugees pour into the city.

One consideration will be how to move goods up, and down the city. Elevators? A large ramp that runs around the city (perhaps a current project)? There will have to be at least one nice road on the lower level leading to the city gates so nobles and merchants don't have to pass through the dreks to enter or leave the city.

Thieves with good acrobatics will be king, as they will be able to move in 3-dimensions which will greatly aid in their ability to escape from the law.

Awesome ideas! thanx bunches and bunches. Yes you seem to have caught what I was trying to convey about the city!

I have been on an Oblivion break as I have got Elder Scrolls IV and have been playing for two weeks straight and pretty much not doing anything else.

I am going to get back to work on my Campaign tho as I am computer gamed out now for a bit I think. Have a friend that I am going to start a one on one adventure to check things out and to see how things work out.

The game Rise of Legends has a steam punk race called the Vinci that is so what I was thinking like only a little more technologically advanced then I was looking for. The clothes, armour, and the look of the characters is so how I envisioned people in the campaign looking.