WWYCD: Flipside

Hermit

Re: WWYCD: Flipside

Dr. Anomaly's psych lims are Code vs. Killing (C,S), Curiosity (VC, S), Overconfidence (VC, M), With Great Power Goes Great Responsibility (C,S) and In Love with Dr. Kathleen Kinkaid (VC, T). That last one won't change given the conditions; so the others would probably become:

• Casual Killer (C,S)
  • Focused Only On His Goals (VC, S)
  • Insecure (VC, M)
  • Having Great Power Removes Conventional Responsibility (C, S)

What's been on Dr. Anomaly's mind a lot lately is the alternate world where Lord Omega (our version of Dr. Destroyer) had taken over, and he and his team were part of the resistance. They were hard-bitten, driven versions of themselves that killed their enemies as efficiently as possible -- "for the greater good." Since getting back, Dr. Anomaly has begun taking steps to set up resources of all kinds (money, equipment, bases, etc.) that will be available in inobvious places and ways, should that come true in his home reality; that would give his team (and any others who joined them) a running start and a better chance at preventing or reversing the take-over.

That goal would now be his #1 driving purpose in life, through any means necessary. His being insecure would mean he'd go through all kinds of ridiculous extremes making sure nothing he was setting up could be traced back to him or his civilian ID, Dr. Solomon Kinkaid. Part of that would be tracelessly killing anyone who he used to set things up, after they'd fulfilled their useful purpose to him.

One of the first to go would be Flipside -- because he might reverse Dr. Anomaly back to his old self, and his new self would see that as "bad" for several reasons. First, since he's now so insecure, any change would be a cause for anxiety and fear, and Flipside's already shown he can change Dr. Anomaly at a whim. Second, Dr. Anomaly would remember how his curiosity used to distract him from things on a regular basis, and his new goal-driven personality wouldn't want that to come back, as it would interfere with his goals getting carried out. On the other hand, Flipside would be potentially useful (in that he or the effects of his powers could be used on carefully-selected people, ideally without their knowledge, that would end up furthering Dr. Anomaly's aims and goals). Probably what Dr. Anomaly would do is kill Flipside quickly and quietly with his magic, then spirit the body away to where he could be brought back to life under safe containment conditions. (Yes, Dr. Anomaly could do this now, but of course his morals and ethics won't let him...but those have gone out the window.) Flipside then becomes an experimental subject until Dr. Anomaly can determine how Flipside's powers work, and duplicate them either through science or sorcery...then the only further use Flipside will have is as a subject for vivisection.

Dr. Anomaly would, of course, stop the heroic lifestyle immediately and pretty much vanish; Dr. Solomon Kinkaid would become a Howard Hughes-style reculuse, running things from "on high". Dr. Kinkaid knows how to play the nasty corporate political games, and can -- very effectively -- when need be, though he finds such things distasteful. The new Dr. Kinkaid would play those games with a cold, ruthless efficiency that would crush any opposition of any kind, be it a politician, a law, or a rival corporation. With an INT of 43 and a PRE of 23 (both easily boostable by magic), Dr. Kinkaid would quickly turn Kinkaid Industries and its umbrella corporation, Diverse Applications, Ltd. into a global powerhouse that would make Microsoft look sick. He's already a billionaire many times over...that would turn into trillionaire very shortly. He'd buy ownership of whatever he wanted or needed -- people, companies, patents, governments, countries -- and if someone or something refused to be bought, they'd be ruined from behind the scenes and then the bits and pieces that he wanted picked up for pennies on the dollar. One way or another, he'd get what he wanted.

In the end, being so insecure, the only thing that might make him feel secure was if he was running the entire world, from behind the scenes, so that would become his ultimate goal. Anything or anyone that was a threat, or a potential threat, to him would be eliminated as quickly and efficiently and as tracelessly as possible. This would first mean a number of supervillains, and then of course superheroes. Since Dr. Kinkaid could easily boost his INT by almost 40 points, he'd have an intellect the like of which the planet had never seen...and frankly, I don't know what could stop him from taking over the world and eliminating all normal and super-powered threats to him, his loved ones, and his Illuminati-style authority.

To sum it up, by reversing Dr. Anomaly's psych lims, Flipside will have effectively destroyed the world as we know it.

...and frankly, I don't know what could stop him from taking over the world and eliminating all normal and super-powered threats to him, his loved ones, and his Illuminati-style authority.

Why, a ragtag band of plucky adventurers, of course! They would have genre convention on their side, a more powerful force than even the mightiest of intellect could hope to resist!

Why' date=' a ragtag band of plucky adventurers, of course! They would have genre convention on their side, a more powerful force than even the mightiest of intellect could hope to resist![/quote']

Well, yeah...that is the genre convention, after all...but so are villains who capture the heroes but don't kill them, or take the time to explain their plans, that sort of thing. A Dr. Anomaly with the "flipped" Psych Lims is not going to operate that way, and would kill anyone -- hero or villain -- who tried to stop him, and do it as quickly and efficiently as possible. And with a potential 83 or 118 INT (depending on how he went about it), I'm pretty sure he'd be able to anticipate most any possible attempt to stop him, and set up means to deal with it expediently.

(And yes, I'm aware no sane GM would allow a character with either an 83 or 118 INT -- I'm just going purely on what his current INT is [43] and how much he could boost it, purely game-mechanics-wise, by using either magic [up to +40 INT] or technology [up to +75 INT]. And of course if he used both to boost it...! :eek: )

(And yes' date=' I'm aware no sane GM would allow a character with either an 83 or 118 INT -- I'm just going purely on what his current INT is [43'] and how much he could boost it, purely game-mechanics-wise, by using either magic [up to +40 INT] or technology [up to +75 INT]. And of course if he used both to boost it...! :eek: )

I liked the White Wolf/Abberant take on this - once you start getting into high-level meta-intelligence abilities, the thought processes are so beyond the player and the GM that you really can't roleplay it out all that well: they become Sphinxes, manipulaters of the world stage so subtle that PCs simply can't percieve their mechanations, much less do anything about them.

Which isn't specifically relevent to this character, of course - mainly it's theorizing on what a +75 INT would actually mean.

Cosmo Knite would become:

Fearful When Shooting Starts.

Modest.

Doesnt want to be a Green-Lantern.

He'd go down to HQ, and volunteer for monitor duty,

and someone else would be running the team. OMG.

===========================================================

White Knite would become:

Liberal

Pro-Choice

Unchurched

Anti-Gun

Sexually Immoral

Left-Winger

Casual Killer

No Faith in Justice System

Screw the Hierarchy

Words fail me. :nonp:

I'd have to ask the guys over in the darker corners of the NGD how to

run such a character

Guest WhammeWhamme

Hrm. Rook becomes:

Casual Killer

Careful

Corrupt

Dishonourable

And doesn't give a damn about the world.

He goes back to the team, after killing Flipside and hiding the body, and starts stockpiling money and luxuries on the side.

Hey Doc:

and In Love with Dr. Kathleen Kinkaid (VC, T). That last one won't change given the conditions;

Yeah, but it might change from a selfless giving love,

into a lusty treat-her-like-arm-candy and "buy her a limo with driver" kind of "love"

"Doesnt this 5K rock I bought ya mean I love ya honey-cakes ?!? "

;)

Hey Doc:

Yeah, but it might change from a selfless giving love,

into a lusty treat-her-like-arm-candy and "buy her a limo with driver" kind of "love"

"Doesnt this 5K rock I bought ya mean I love ya honey-cakes ?!? "

;)

It's possible, but given the conditions in the intial post ("we still like who we like, hate who we hate, etc.") I'm just assuming those feelings remain the same and intact as they are. :)

Lets see...

Lucian (Aka: The Darkness)

Is Aloof,

An incorrigible Flirt,

Farsighted (as in can't read without glasses)

Powers supressed by Light (not really a disadvantage, more like a limitation on his powers.)

Vistorian accent

[now for stuff related to his personality that Arn't lims because they don't limit him.]

A casual killer

Always turns situation to his own advantage if he can

nocturnal

is always cold

always wears a particular piece of jewlery

casual and disarming demeneor

Voices in his head tell him to kill people (the Darkness is a sentient force using him as a host)

Serial Killer

does assassinations and kidnappings for money

He would become

An honerable, nearsighted pasifist who speaks using slang that wont be popular for 200 years. loves to party but is incapable of flirtation. he would always feel to warm, and never wear jewlery. Hates going out at night, and his powers, though Macabre and destructive in every application would only function where light was in abundance. Pron to emotional outbursts as the "voices in his head" command him to use his... vile and destructive powers to contribute to the greater socity. He works in a meat processing plant and volenteers at the batted womens home. Never takes advantage of any situation that might be beneficial to him.

Uhm... and he's gonna live a very very very very long time.

Vyse Deamon (this one is more straight foreward)

Sense of Duty

Comtempt of bullies

Poor

Unregistered Paranormal

[non limiting]

Prone to emotional outbursts

he would become:

An irresponsible Bully whos rolling in dough, he registered as a paranormal, and never speaks his mind...

Very cool idea. I'd rep if I could but I need to spread it...

Let's see:

Lady Silver: has CvK, Compassionate, and Sworn to Protect others against Magic. Now she's a casual killer, malicious, and uses magic to subjugate people. SO NOT GOOD! She's start killing other mages to steal their power, make pacts with demons, and try to control the mystical world, followed by the mundane world. Basically, she's basically the world's worst mystical threat except for Takos and maybe Dark Seraph. She's also a little repressed sexually (or at least too busy to... well get busy) so she might start kidnapping pretty little boytoys.

Nova: let's see, hates criminals, protects innocents, enrages if innocents are hurt, and prone to depression. A little harder. I guess now she doesn't hate criminals but perhaps actually likes being one now! Anyone who gets in her way, that's tough. Also, since she's so free and powerful she's pretty happy and feels none of the self hatred that plagues her now. Life is a BLAST! Otherwise, maybe now she's kinda pacifistic and is perfectly calm. She doesn't interfere with other events- what happens will be.

Sentinel: really polite, always worried about what others think about him, and think it's just shocking that he ever tried to keep the Silver Knights from doing what they felt they should do. He's also show up on his ex-wife's door with flowers and a song on his lips

*snickers* Oh God the fun *this* one could be... right up until any and all players involved reached through their network cables and strangled me. :idjit:

In the meantime....

Void: Ruthless, Vengeful, Somber and Melancholy, and featuring a split personality....

Well, assuming that his personality split between Void and his Secret ID wasn't affected, he'd probably become a cheerful, classical Silver Age style hero.

And, once he was done, track down Flipside and run him through a meat grinder for ruining years of work at building up his rep. :P

Huntress: Code vs Killing, Extremely Competitive, prone to paranoid delusions....

She'd become a cold, calculating killer, but a remarkably trusting one who doesn't care about proving she's better than you, she'll just put an energy bolt through your chest if you get in her way.

With a serious speed addiction.

Yeah, Flipside would be *lucky* if all she did was kill him off.

Darkchild: She'd become a casual killer utterly convined that her family's mystical legacy gives her every right to do whatever she darned well pleased. This, in and of itself, wouldn't be too big a problem if it weren't for what would probably happen to her boyfriend (a PC in that campaign)....

Heat Wave: He'd probably become a remarkably self-confident young man who would go back home and incinerate his parents for the years of abuse they put him through before he ran away and joined the team.

Then he'd fully embrace the influence of the Dragon that he's been struggling with for a while now and, with Darkchild as his queen-consort, probably usher in a dark age of magic and terror around the world.

I liked the White Wolf/Abberant take on this - once you start getting into high-level meta-intelligence abilities, the thought processes are so beyond the player and the GM that you really can't roleplay it out all that well: they become Sphinxes, manipulaters of the world stage so subtle that PCs simply can't percieve their mechanations, much less do anything about them.

Which isn't specifically relevent to this character, of course - mainly it's theorizing on what a +75 INT would actually mean.

Basically, Doc, this means that YOU are now the Ref, and that the flipped Doc Anomaly is now your major long-term story-arc villain.

Cosmo Knite would become:

Fearful When Shooting Starts.

Modest.

Doesnt want to be a Green-Lantern.

He'd go down to HQ, and volunteer for monitor duty,

and someone else would be running the team. OMG.

===========================================================

White Knite would become:

Liberal

Pro-Choice

Unchurched

Anti-Gun

Sexually Immoral

Left-Winger

Casual Killer

No Faith in Justice System

Screw the Hierarchy

So what's the problem ? (besides Casual Killer) :sneaky:

I owe you some rep...

The Specter

Chivalrous (C,S) --> Misoginist (C,S)

Strong Reluctance to Kill (C,S) --> Aims to Kill (C,S)

Honourable (C,T) --> Lies, Cheats and Steals at every opportunity (C,T)

Ego Signatures are psyhcologically based, so now he would take effort to leave few traces that he was at a scene.

And if Diamond ever finds out what he's done to her fellow immortal, Flipside is in for a world of hurt.

Whisper

Sees people more as a food source (VC,S) --> Dislikes having to feed of (meta)humans (VC,S)

Casual Killer (C,M) --> Greatly Dislikes Killing (C,M)

Agoraphobia (C,S) --> Claustrophobia (C,S)

Hmmm. Has to make an ego roll to obtain his only food source. Hope this wears off soon... and when it does, Flipside gets categorized as a delicacy!:eg: