Mech's Anyone?

Polaris

Greetings all,

I am wanting to add battle mechs to my game. The world the PCs come from (Terra) is still rather new to making Battle mechs, so I intend on adding disadvantages to some of the systems (in particular activation rolls to simulate the unreliability of the mech), but some worlds have been using Mechs as long as Earth has been using MBTs.

Does anyone have any Mecha made that they would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance! :)

Polaris

Here are some samples of mecha which have been posted to these boards recently:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90&highlight=mech+OR+mecha

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125&highlight=mech+OR+mecha

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2976&highlight=mech+OR+mecha

There used to be a very extensive thread on mecha on the old pre-DOS boards - many of them were for 4th Ed. HERO System, but the differences were minimal. Unfortunately, the bulk of that thread doesn't seem to have been loaded into Old Forum Threads archive yet. :(

Originally posted by Mastermind

Anyone ever thought of doing Battletech HERO?

I've been hoping for an opportunity to do something like this for the new Hero Universe (as something in the mid-fourth millennium). Sadly, I don't think Steve would be willing to do, based on a comment he's made about Spacer's Toolkit having "the closest thing to a mech you'll ever see in the Hero Universe" (not necessarily an exact quote).

DH?

Bob,

Steve might not be interested in publishing a book about Mecha hero (I am unsure if he would be interested or not), but perhaps if you did a DH article, it might (depending upon the reaction) demonstrate enough interest for an ebook?

It is just a thought...:) I think businesses can be persuaded by market interest.

Polaris

Re: DH?

Originally posted by Polaris

Bob,

Steve might not be interested in publishing a book about Mecha hero (I am unsure if he would be interested or not), but perhaps if you did a DH article, it might (depending upon the reaction) demonstrate enough interest for an ebook?

It is just a thought...:) I think businesses can be persuaded by market interest.

It probably could, but I'd prefer to write it as a future setting than a genre book. I'd certainly jump at the chance to write a 5th-ed redux of Robot Warriors (as a Star Hero subgenre book) -- especially since The Ultimate Vehicle actually started life as The Ultimate Giant Robot -- but given the choice I'd like to cover it as a Star Hero setting.

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

There does tend to be a lot more people around here asking about mecha since the release of the FREd. Maybe because Mekton is all but dead....

If that's the case, I am very saddened. I always liked that game system. Thought it was truly cool. Quite possibly the best dedicated anime mecha game ever made. I've been wanting to get a copy of the Mekton Zeta and Mekton Zeta Plus books for some time now. A friend of mine ran a variant of the Mospeada universe with that system and the story and action just rocked.

Granted, Hero does a fine job with mecha. But it's a general toolkit where you have to do more work to come up with an interpretation on effects. My friend Corey once took me step by step through the design process he went through in coming up with his version of the Armo Fighter/Diver/Soldier from Mospeada and it was like watching the factory make the damn thing almost. Sometimes I _like_ fiddly detail like that. But thankfully it never got in the way of actual gameplay. The design process was complex, but the gameplay was lightning fast by comparison. Rather like Hero, come to think of it.

Any idea as to what's going on with the Mekton fan community, if any?

Originally posted by Logan D

Any idea as to what's going on with the Mekton fan community, if any?

There is a small fan community presence on the Web. Nothing like what can be found for WOD or D&D or even compared to Hero, but its there. If you go to the R-Talisorian site, they have a sparsely travelled BBS you can post on.

The next "Big Thing" from RTG is the Gundam RPG thats supposed to be released soon. Apparently it in editing right now. Hopefully that'll breathe some new life into the old fella...

I think part of the reason for the recent popularity in Mech games is Microsofts Mechwarrior computer games. Plus the resurgence of BattleTech in the form of the Mechwarrior: Dark Age clix game. I'm currently working on converting seveal of the mech's to Hero. Also, the Kazai 5 book that's available for download from the e-books section of this site does a good job with mechs.

Originally posted by Melchior777

True, but Macross (Robotech), Transformers, and the Battletech board game have been around for ages. Why are people only now starting to pick them up?

Actually, there was a time when Mecha-type RPG's were popular, most especially Robotech and the aforementioned Battletech. There was also Mekton, Riftsand a little-known game called Mecha!. There was even a magazine dedicated specifically to Mecha Roleplaying called Mecha Press which lasted for several years.

This was because of the generation of roleplayers who grew up on tv animation like Robotech, Transformers and Voltron. After those shows were gone, and there were no more shows like them on TV, interest in Mecha roleplaying waned. Now that Anime is back with a vengence, and Mecha are at the forefront of that wave, Mecha roleplaying is once again being focussed upon by the industry. (there's GURPS Mecha, Big Robots-Cool Starships for BESM, TUV-which includes Mecha for Hero and RTG is preparing to release their Gundam RPG for Mekton)

The popularity of mecha videogames may have had a little something to do with it (games like Mech Warrior and Amored Core being extremely popular) but mostly its due to the increased influence of Anime on Pop culture in the U.S. since the late 90's

I see that there are places that are taking orders for GOO's d20 Mecha already. Dunno if these are 'pre sales' or not. Amazon.com says it was released in May 2003. You might wanna call someone. Maybe yer working on a suppliment or a revamp...

Dream Pod 9 also offers a d20 Mecha Compandium - it is their first d20 gaming product. http://www.dreampod9.com and it seems to be 'almost through its second printing'.