Star Fleet Battles

SteelDoom

Re: Star Fleet Battles

Well, let's see:

What am I missing? Triplanetary? And why can't I think of a Star Wars-based capital ship game?

Well, let's see, the boardgame for Traveller was called Mayday, not a bad little game using a two-dimensional vector movement, good for 2-4 ship battles but the keeping track of movement got a tad intensive when you had a fleet of ships firing missiles at each other :eek:

Then there was Battle Lances and Battle Riders for Traveler, the New Era (never played them).

Finally there was an old SPI game ... Delta Vee? (I think?)

I really like the space combat system for Knighthawks, Simple, clean, and fun, just right for a Space Operic-style game.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Schwarzwald

As much as I hate the hypocritical PC speech nazi scum that run the SJG forums I must admit that the gurps traveller line has a good space combat and ship construction system, especially if you get the starships supplement.

The gurps traveller interstellar wars book has a modified version of the system updated for gurps 4e, and it's decent too.

Both are similar, using modular construction and simple vector movement. Both are 2d but are still decent.

Guest Schwarzwald

Any game where you get to kill that ***** Harrington must be good.

I've read 2 honor harringtone books and have no problem with her, asides from the fact she lives in and defends a classist, pompous psuedo british society.

I've read 2 honor harringtone books and have no problem with her' date=' asides from the fact she lives in and defends a classist, pompous psuedo british society.[/quote']

I had no problem with the books so much as the character, who was totally unsympathetic (as were most of the people under her). I appreciate that in the book she got results out of the idiots in the crew, but if I were working for her I'd have to kill her.

Admittedly I only read the first book, so YMMV. Perhaps she gets laid in one of the sequels.

What am I missing? Triplanetary?

Triplanetary rules. Mayday is an attempt to make Triplanetary without the need to draw on the map with grease pencils.

SPI's Vector Three uses the dual map approach (top view/side view), as does SPI's Battlefleet Mars.

I've heard good things about Starmada, but I have never played it.

Full Thrust is the old reliable.

But the king of course is Attack Vector: Tactical.

Guest Schwarzwald

I had no problem with the books so much as the character, who was totally unsympathetic (as were most of the people under her). I appreciate that in the book she got results out of the idiots in the crew, but if I were working for her I'd have to kill her.

Admittedly I only read the first book, so YMMV. Perhaps she gets laid in one of the sequels.

Well, old man, in the first sequel she gets maimed pretty badly and requires massive cybernetic reconstruction work. In the third book, 'the short victorious war' she gets laid, a lot.:D

BTW, in "On basilisk station" harrington has to whip her crew into shape, they're a bunch of demoralized slackoffs and needed it. As to being unsympathetic, well I sorta sympathized with her, knowing what it feels like when everyone/thing is against you.

Lastly, I think the battlescene in the end between her screwed over light cruiser and the giant Qship was the best space battle depiction I've ever read. My only quibbles with it were the way the reator had to be jettisioned to avoid exploding (Seemed technically implausible) and the way the villians acted after, basically, winning the battle and then just having to come back ti finish off harrington's helpless ship just because they're EEEEEEEEEEEVIL. But other than that it was great.

Guest Schwarzwald

Well' date=' there's also Star Strike from Iron Crown (and its ground-based cousin Armored Assault). Enjoyment of this one is totally predicated on "do you like the Rolemaster way of doing things?" - as I do, I think it's pretty good.[/quote']

I liked armored assault a lot better than starstrike.