Help: powers for the super heroine Maxima.

Madacapa

I have the concept for a character called Maxima, and when I picture her I see a tall, muscular woman wearing black with long, black hair. Kind of like Wonder-Woman, but not.

Anyway, I was just going to give her brick powers, but I wanted to make her unique. What unique powers can you come up with that go along with the name Maxima? Also, was there a DC character by that name?

Re: Help: powers for the super heroine Maxima.

There was /is a DC character with that name: a red-head with brick/TK powers who wanted to marry Superman as he was the "perfect mate" for her or something.

Do you have any ideas regarding the character's origins?

Her origins? She was a mutant who at age 12 suddenly grew six inches taller and gained 100 pounds of muscle. Her parents sent her away to a private school, and she has resented them for it ever since. Currently she is age 20 and attends a university. She is not sure what her major will be.

Brainstorming:

She starts out at Normal Characteristic Maxima (with the exception of PD), but has lots of physical absorption that allows her to get a very high STR, CON, etc.

She starts out as a light brick, but has lots of physical absorption that allows her to turn into a heavy brick.

She has a moderate STR (say 40 in a 4-color campaign), plus a whole bunch more STR with the limitation, Only to Match the Highest STR in a Given Combat (-1/2?).

Anyway' date=' I was just going to give her brick powers, but I wanted to make her unique. What unique powers can you come up with that go along with the name Maxima? Also, was there a DC character by that name?[/quote']

Having all Characteristics at either normal human maxima (the perfect woman) or at campaign maxima (the ultimate heroine).

Do you see her as being primarily STR-based for doing damage (50-60+ range)' date=' or as someone that's a combination of STR and skill for damage purposes (30-40 STR and a martial art)?[/quote']

I would think the later of the two. I wasn't even thinking of the Normal Human Maxima until it was brought up. That is the route I would go. Physically, she is the perfect woman and her powers come from that physical perfection...or she is the ultimate herione. Hmmmm...I don't know....

Next question - what kind of point costs/campaign limits are you operating under?

Standard 4 color. 350 point characters. Around 75 point active points for beginning characters, but that is flexible.

Depending on how it fits in your vision, you might look at something like:

30 STR

20 DEX

25 CON

20 PD

20 ED

4-5 SPD

10 Damage Resistance 10 PD/10 ED

And then find a martial art that seemed to fit the character's "style" and invest in it. Some options if you have access to the Ultimate Martial Artist might be: Pankration, Jeet Kune Do, or something like Tae Kwon Do.

If she's a "Perfect" woman warrior, it's easy enough. Give her all physical stats at the top level you allow for humans (30 in the CU) or just under, and then add on the martial arts and Super Skills until you hit the point limit. A Super Normal can be very impressive just using Pulp Hero / Dark Champions style Super Skills.

I kinda see her being able to do Asorbtion attacks to boost her natural caharateristics. Nothing too game-damaging, of course; she is meant to be a brick.

Perhaps do a PD Asorbtion, only against natural PD? :ugly:

I apologize for being obsessed about this, but...

The word Maxima is the plural form for the word maximum, which means:

The greatest possible quantity or degree.

The greatest quantity or degree reached or recorded; the upper limit of variation.

The time or period during which the highest point or degree is attained.

An upper limit permitted by law or other authority.

Hmmmm...she could be the strongest, fastest, smartest, and prettiest,etc.

Perhaps a big multipower...when she concentrates she can be the fastest, strongest, smartest, prettiest, etc...how would that work? I use the Standard hero guidelines...?

From way out in left field:

Solar/light based/related powers, born (or gained powers) during a sunspot maximum year.

Just trying for something non-obvious with the name, never mind me....

From way out in left field:

Solar/light based/related powers, born (or gained powers) during a sunspot maximum year.

Just trying for something non-obvious with the name, never mind me....

Actually, Basil, I just looked it up because I had never heard of that before. I will create a character with solar powers that "he" obtained during Cycle 21, but "he" has to be called Maximum, because that sounds more manly. Thank you.

Actually' date=' Basil, I just looked it up because I had never heard of that before. I will create a character with solar powers that "he" obtained during Cycle 21, but "he" has to be called Maximum, because that sounds more manly. Thank you.[/quote']

Glad my idea is of help to you, but I do wonder why you feel a sunspot-related character has to be male?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just curious. :)

Glad my idea is of help to you, but I do wonder why you feel a sunspot-related character has to be male?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just curious. :)

This is the start of an argument, but it doesn't have to be nasty. I think the word "Maximum" sounds manly and "Maxima" sounds womanly. I could call her Maxima too...maybe they are evil twins. However, the whole cycles of the Sun was very useful.

If you're taking the Multipower route with Maxima,the Comeliness slot should be the lowest in Active Point terms,because the stat is so cheap.Perhaps it should be part of a Combined Power slot together with Presence?

(I.E. Maxima might have the following slot World's Prettiest Heroine

3u:+20PRE,+20COM (30 Active points)

Also if you're going the "Martial Brick" route,I'd recommend that Maxima purchase the Brick Tricks martial art and 4 Extra DC.Assuming a 30STR,she would then do 12d6 with a Fast Strike.

I'm recommending Extra DC because they also boost the STR boost from manuevers such as Grabs and Escapes,Flashes & NNDs,and (to a lesser effect) the base damage done by martial Killing Attack maneuvers.