Catwoman revisited

Mark Rand

This thread is tied to "More Bat-tyness", the URL of which is http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43505.

Catwoman, Selina Kyle, is one of Batman's best-known foes. Her origin's changed, as has her costume. However, in most cases, she's a cat burglar who also does good things and has a crush on Batman. Our universe's Catwoman is a bit different.

She was caught breaking into a mad scientist's lab by one of his henchmen and taken before the scientist himself. Deciding that the burglar would make a wonderful test subject, he removed her jacket and webbing, then injected her with something.

"What are you doing?" she snarled as he positioned a device over her chest.

"I've injected you with feline DNA," he replied. "Now, I'll activate it, then make you my slave." As he activated it, she screamed, then passed out. "Unstrap her," the scientist ordered. Unfortunately for the scientist, she was faking it. She kicked the henchman, knocking him into the scientist. They both fell into instrument panels. She freed herself, grabbed her gear, and left.

This brings up a question, what did the treatment do to her?

Re: Catwoman revisited

Well, the short answer (which I like to fall back upon) is whatever you want to happen to her.

I would expect some additional DEX, BreakFall, NightVision, Stealth, PsychLim: Hates Water, PsychLim: Neat Freak (Always Cleaning).

I'd start there. If you want to go further, maybe 1/2d6 KA Claws. That is even more than I would accept with the normal single-injection history. You want lots of juicy bits its going to take a lot more science than a single injection.

It is possible that Catwoman was a latent metahuman before the mad scientist, unknowingly, activated her powers.

As far as weapons go, I've come up with claws, possibly built into her gloves, and a whip as well as the more normal burglar weapons (chloroform, pepper spray, electronic stun gun, and a pistol loaded with sleep darts).

If you really want to have some fun with it, there was an episode of Batman: TAS (Tyger Tyger, Season 2, Ep 14, according to my boxed sets) where this actually happens (sort of). More than just one injection, but that's because the Mad Scientist's treatment took 3 or so before it was permanent.

Basically, she turned into a real cat-woman, rather like the man-bat. She was fairly cute that way, I thought.

You could give her a thin coat of black fur as a feature. No real game effect, as it doesn't eevn protect her from the cold, but it does serve to make her look distinctive and make it impossible for her to pass as anyone but herself. But it might actually boost her COM and PRE because it's distinctive and interesting.

she could develop retractable claws, but they would be too short to be useful as weapons against humans. However, they do give her a limited form of Clinging 9she can hang onto surfaces by sinking her claws into them). If she wants to take full advantage of this, she might wear special shoes that expose her toes, letter her use those claws as well for gripping.

You might want to reduce the damage she takes from falls to reflect her "always landing on her feet", though not to the point that she can fall off the top of a skyscraper and not suffer any consequences.

A really bizarre twist (and somewhat on the nauhgty side) would be to alter her hormonal cycle somewhat so that every month, two weeks after her period, she "goes into heat", giving her an incredibly strong desire for sexual activity. during this five-day period, her sense of touch becomes especially sensiitive, which can mean she takes more STUN from attacks than usual but also means that being touched gently and/or affectionately is extremely pleasurable for her. (In fact, even at normal times she might enjoy being "petted", even in non-erogenous zones, and generally crave affection and attention.)

Her diet would become almost exclusively carnivorous, with lots of poultry and fish, and she might dveelop a taste for small bird and rodents (pigeons beware).

A shadowy figure crept along the grounds of an estate in one of Gotham City's wealthier suburbs. Upon reaching the front porch, he climbed onto the roof and made his way to a second-story window. With deft movements, he unclung his backpack, removed an instrument from it, and checked the window. Noting that the alarm was off, he replaced the instrument, opened the window and entered.

After replacing the pack and closing the window, he crept toward the stairs. However, he didn't make it. A large man strode into the hall and his huge fist caught the intruder in the gut. "Bad black-clad girl," the huge man said, scooping the intruder up. He carried her through the mansion to a laboratory set up in the basement. "We have an intruder!" he announced. "Where do you want her?"

"A female cat burglar, Hugo?" asked a silver-haired man in a white lab coat.

"I caught her on the second floor," Hugo replied.

"Very good," the scientist said. "Put her on the open table, then help me undress her. I think a cat burglar will make a better test subject than the homeless people I've been using."

"What about him?" Hugo asked, pointing to the homeless man.

"He's dead," the scientist replied. "You'll cremate him once she's been secured. The ashes can be dumped in the bin with those of the other failed test subjects." When the burglar was unmasked, the scientist gasped, "This is Susan Carstairs, the model. Her family owned this estate before the IRS seized it, and the rest of the family fortune, because Mr. Carstairs failed to pay his income taxes for the past 20 years. I think Miss Carstairs will be a fitting subject for my test of feline DNA."

"Okey," Hugh said. Once Susan was secured, he pushed the body into the next room where the cremator was.

"What's going on?" Susan asked as she awoke.

"You, Miss Carstairs, are going to be my new test subject ," the scientist replied. "You're a lot healthier that my last subject, a homeless man, who died and is being cremated." He turned, took something from a table, and faced Susan again. "I'm about to inject you with 30 milligrams of feline DNA. I'll then activated it, using the device with the blue cone. You'll receive two more treatments. then, I'll activate a device that will make me obey my every whim."

"You're crazy," Susan said.

"No, I'm not," he said. "Hugo is a very strong and very loyal man. However, there are times I'll need either a burglar's skills or social connections. That's where you come in." He gave her the first injection, then activated the ray device. Two more treatments followed. Susan screamed each time.

When the mind control device was activated, it shorted out, shocking the scientist. Hugo ran for the circuit breakers, but was killed when a panel blew in his face. Susan managed to free herself. She then gathered her gear, get everything on, and leave. As she passed the front gate, the mansion exploded.

I was referring to the minor typo (bad form, I know, I'm sorry....)

"I'll activate a device that will make me obey my every whim."

Most people can make themselves obey their own whims without special devices. It struck me as amusing.

Oops.

It should've said, "...make you obey my every whim."

The device was designed to boost his mental power to let him control her. Basically, her EGO would've been 1 when dealing with him and its normal value when dealing with everyone else. It failed.

• 2 weeks later...

Spectacularly, it seems. :) I figured that's what you meant, and an interesting intro for her. I just found the idea of a mad scientist building a device that would make him obey himself... interesting.

Though it *would* be mad science.

Oh, yeah.

Although written for a Dark Champions campaign with either Batman or a Batman-like character, Catwoman can be used anywhere you need a cat burglar.

Her new abilities, so far, are increases in DEX and SPD, bonuses to stealth and breakfall, and nightvision (UV vision?).

She also has some psyc lims from her feline DNA. She craves affection and attention and loves to be caressed and, while on the prowl, makes feline noises. Susan has always been a neat freak and has always prefered a diet rich in meat, fish, and poultry.

I'm not sure she'd hate water. Being human, she does have to shower and Susan's always been a strong swimmer.

There are great cats that like water. Make it tiger or jaguar DNA if it helps.

Ooooohh, she likes being "touched"? sounds like she'd love showers then. She would probably set up a shower with several shower heads in it so that she could "feel" the water from several directions at once.

Plus that helps with the keeping clean thing that cats do.

Just so you know, I actually do not mean this to sound naughty, but re-reading it it seems that way to me....and I can't think of a "cleaner" way of writing it.

Ooooohh, she likes being "touched"? sounds like she'd love showers then. She would probably set up a shower with several shower heads in it so that she could "feel" the water from several directions at once.

Plus that helps with the keeping clean thing that cats do.

Just so you know, I actually do not mean this to sound naughty, but re-reading it it seems that way to me....and I can't think of a "cleaner" way of writing it.

Thanks.

She'd probably also like those pulsating shower heads.

Her "Likes attention and affection" might also make her a party animal, the better to find information about future targets or a current victim.

Better yet, Prionailurus viverrinus (aka Felis viverrina), the Fishing Cat of south and southeast Asia. Preferred habitat is wetlands, streamside, etc. Excellent swimmer. They're one of the larger "small cats."

Lots more about these interesting animals at: http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Prionailurus_viverrinus.html

• 2 weeks later...

Susan knows people who she can buy special equipment and supplies from. One such person outfitted several pair of her black gloves with retractable claws.

Although not designed for climbing, the claws make good weapons.

Nice concept, Mark. Check out the TV show Dark Angel. The heroine had a mix of human and feline DNA. Her powers in the show could act as a good model; e.g. extra Dex, speed, strenth, stun, end and I seem to recall better night vision.

One injection should do the job if it contained a retrovirus see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrovirus

Nice concept, Mark. Check out the TV show Dark Angel. The heroine had a mix of human and feline DNA. Her powers in the show could act as a good model; e.g. extra Dex, speed, strenth, stun, end and I seem to recall better night vision.

One injection should do the job if it contained a retrovirus see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrovirus

The retroviris is an interesting idea. I'll think about it. If I use it, I'll rewrite Susan's origin story slightly.

As for Dark Angel, I forgot about it, too. I also found Max's abilities on line. They are: enhanced tolerance for cold, superhuman strength, Flash-like speed, camera-like vision, photographic memory, excellent hearing, ability to hold her breath for long periods of time, ability to go without rest, and she goes into heat three times per year.