What I've learned playing a Traveller

alexraccoon

Re: What I've learned playing a Traveller

Never bring your problems into the Travellers' Aid Society lounge - everybody there has his personal demons chasing him, and probably doesn't need your added baggage.

If you absolutely must bring your problems into the Travellers' Aid Society lounge, make sure everybody else brings their's, too. Maybe they'll all cancel themselves out in the wash.

If they don't cancel themselves out, but instead ally with each other, nuking the Travellers' Aid Society lounge from orbit will probably cause them to cancel your membership.

Matt Frisbee's Laws of Traveller:

1) Don't start bragging about your Ubercharacter until after he's mustered out.

2) Sure, you can muster out with a Free Trader -- but nobody ever guaranteed the damn thing will fly...

3) Never shake hands with a Hiver. Ever.

4) In K'Kree space, tofu is your friend.

5) Always tip the technicians who service your vacc suit in advance.

Matt "The-old-school-space-adventurer" Frisbee

Learn how to multiply and divide by 14.

???

In Traveller, all space- and star-ships are calculated and described based on their displacement, measured in units confusingly called "tons." Each displacement "ton" is approximately the volume taken up by one megagram ("tonne", "ton") of liquid hyrdogen.

The displacement "ton" is exactly 14 cubic meters. Thus, if you want to know how big your ship is in common units, or if you want to determine the size of a real-world object in displacement "tons," you need to multiply or divide by 14.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. :( It just seemed to me anyone with any experience with Traveller would know that. I didn't expect anyone would find it unclear. :o

1. TL 16, LL 0 worlds sound like fun, but they never are. Sure, you can do anything you want with no legal consequences--but so can everyone else. And there's always someone with bigger, better weapons out there somewhere.

2. Level 6 Pirates* are unbeatable. That's the risk you take when you go trolling for pirates in hopes of capturing a salable spaceship for quick cash.

3. Never misjump 36 parsecs** into unknown space with too few cold sleep tubes for everyone onboard to use while waiting for rescue.. Otherwise, a psionic character might make you volunteer to spacewalk without your vac suit so he gets one.***

4. Hokey religions and ancient weapons are, in fact, often more than a match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

_____

* The GM had six types of pirates on his random encounter tables. He'd roll a d6 to determine which pirates we encountered when "pirate" came up. We never, ever defeated the Level Six pirates.

** This happened to us once. Fairly small homebrew game universe, not the Imperium. We misjumped (rolled a six, rolled six dice, ALL sixes) "north" from the "southern" edge of the map all the way through mapped space and far, far beyond into an empty system with no gas giants.

*** This happened to me. I found myself cycling myself out the airlock without my vac suit so the psionic's wife/girlfriend got my cold sleep tube! It took a couple of decades for the SOS (via comm laser) to be received and answered, and the survivors lsot everything they owned to pay for the rescue--but they survived.

In Traveller' date=' all space- and star-ships are calculated and described based on their displacement, measured in units confusingly called "tons." Each displacement "ton" is [b']approximately[/b] the volume taken up by one megagram ("tonne", "ton") of liquid hyrdogen.

The displacement "ton" is exactly 14 cubic meters. Thus, if you want to know how big your ship is in common units, or if you want to determine the size of a real-world object in displacement "tons," you need to multiply or divide by 14.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. :( It just seemed to me anyone with any experience with Traveller would know that. I didn't expect anyone would find it unclear. :o

This is why I have no problems with RPGs, regardless of timeframe or setting, using real-world units and techniques of measurement.