Difficult Build: Armor that tranfers damage

Re: Difficult Build: Armor that tranfers damage

My confusion comes from my reading of Alice's request.

InAlice's there would be a master suit where the wearer's damage simply gets transferred to a second suit - no reciprocality. The wearer would be effectively immune because the damage done to him would go to the wearer of the cursed suit.

In your case the wearer is immune unless someone attacks the paired suit; in my understanding of Alice's request the wearer is immune because the damage is being directed to the paired suit.

Is my confusion clearer? As I said - its a variant on what I thought Alice was asking for and an intersting magic item in its own merit.

Doc

All forms of Desolid have to have something that they take damage from defined. This is usually a SFX; but in this case I've defined it as damage done to the wearer of the OTHER suit of transference Armor.

Thus when the person wearing Armor suit A is damaged, the person wearing Armor suit B takes the damage and vice versa.

The first suit of armor grants the wearer extra STUN and BODY equal to the STUN and BODYx2 of the person wearing the second suit (Built as +40 Body and +60 STUN, IIF Independent, with a -1/2 Limitation).

The second suit of armor "grants" the wearer a Susceptibility to the wearer of the first suit taking damage (built as a Major Transform, Triggered by putting the armor on, healed by removing the armor).

That's the easiest way to model this in game terms.

I vote for this one - a very straightforward and elegant approach.

All forms of Desolid have to have something that they take damage from defined. This is usually a SFX; but in this case I've defined it as damage done to the wearer of the OTHER suit of transference Armor.

Thus when the person wearing Armor suit A is damaged, the person wearing Armor suit B takes the damage and vice versa.

I wasn't confused about the mechanics, as I said I think you have a cool design for magical armour that apparently grants invulnerability - it didn't meet Alice's requirements though.

Doc

Hmm. This is an interesting one:

Mind Link: The mind of character wearing the other set of armor;

[10 Base]

Trigger: target is person donning armor (+1/4);

Usable As Attack (+1);

Invisible Power Effects: Mental Group (+1/2);

[47 Active]

Mind Link is Only For Feedback (-2);

IAF: set of armor (-1/2);

[13 Real]

Note that Feedback is normally a Limitation, but is obviously advantageous if the Mind Link is UAA. I made the Focus Accessible because really if you were using it as a weapon you would have to put it on someone, which would be rather easy to disrupt. ;)

I'm not too certain about the normal requirement of needing LOS. I think it can be waived in this case, but you could also build in a relatively cheap Mind Scan (cheap because it is quite Limited and the, "attacker," is willing to be affected) if you prefer.

Hmm. This is an interesting one:

Mind Link: The mind of character wearing the other set of armor;

[10 Base]

Trigger: target is person donning armor (+1/4);

Usable As Attack (+1);

Invisible Power Effects: Mental Group (+1/2);

[47 Active]

Mind Link is Only For Feedback (-2);

IAF: set of armor (-1/2);

[13 Real]

Note that Feedback is normally a Limitation, but is obviously advantageous if the Mind Link is UAA.

Could we do this slightly differently? Give the Mind Link and Feedback to the other set of armor (perhaps "Useable By Others"?), and Uncontrollable to reflect the fact that the person gets no choice about whether or not the power is on? They can choose not to wear the armor, of course, or to take it off (well, ideally), but they can't decide to wear the armor and then not suffer the effects. No attack roll required, and since they're not the "recipient" of the Mind Link (but the origin of it), the "unwilling" part of targeting wouldn't apply. (I don't think it would apply anyway, that's the "wearing armor" part of it, but still.)

Could we do this slightly differently? Give the Mind Link and Feedback to the other set of armor (perhaps "Useable By Others"?)' date=' and Uncontrollable to reflect the fact that the person gets no choice about whether or not the power is on? They can choose not to wear the armor, of course, or to take it off (well, ideally), but they can't decide to wear the armor and then not suffer the effects. No attack roll required, and since they're not the "recipient" of the Mind Link (but the origin of it), the "unwilling" part of targeting wouldn't apply. (I don't think it would apply anyway, that's the "wearing armor" part of it, but still.)[/quote']

I think it is best to cost it according to the most helpful use, which would be having someone else wear the armor and making them take the damage of attacks that hit you. It is the owner of the Mind Link that suffers the feedback, not the person being, "targetted," by the Mind Link.

BTW, I think either the Feedback could be reduced in price or a small Limitation added in (probably about -1/4 either way) if the damage the target receives is the same as that you take after defenses rather than the full damage of the attack. Also, NND/AVLD might be appropriate if the target's Mental Defense doesn't apply to the damage.

Actually I just realized that the Limitation that reduces the Mind Link to feedback only should probably be dropped to -0. You can't communicate with them, sure, but they also can't use Mental Attacks on you through it (though a nice GM might say IPE covers that...).

first thing I thought of was "what if we put a troll in the other suit and kept him locked up in a dungeon..."

To many years of D&D talking there ;)

Actually, in our game when we learned about the items I joked about placing the armor on a grizzly bear.