[Online Game]New 'Marvel: Next Generation' game

Snake Gandhi

Re: [Online Game]New 'Marvel: Next Generation' game

I've never seen Absorption in effect in a Champions game, though, and I'm not sure how effective a character it'd make. My basic idea would be for him to have moderately above-human stats (30s-40s for physical stuff) all the time, some Armor (and/or maybe some Damage Reduction), and then Energy and Physical (both) Absorption both dumping into, say, Strength and Dexterity.

To those with a bit more experience with Champions (including the GM, of course), how feasable and effective a character would this be? Also, how acceptable, to have (for instance) like 20d6+ of both Physical and Energy Absorption (Shaw seems to be, well, pretty darned capable of soaking an awful lot of damage)? Would that be too powerful? Not powerful enough? Maybe just about right?

here is a character I created using asorbtion. Feel free to use ideas from it.

I can't get it to show up in the text so here is the hdc file.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still figuring out Ms Von Doom. Peep these pics and let me know which one grabs you.

L to R: Eva (daughter of Doom and undisclosed Euro-snob), Claire (daugher of Doom and Emma Frost), Magda (daughter of Doom and Morgali), Lena (mother unknown), DoomBot.

If Eva has inherited Doom's intelligence, armor and arsenal... That's all you'll ever need (In fact, she might even have a few DoomBot's purchased as followers).

However, the story of Doom's bedding of Morgali and their spawn, heir to Margali's mystical energies and Doom's estate, could be incredibly entertaining. Magda has the potential to be a VERY powerful entity; far surpassing her father's capabilities by finding a synergy between magic and mechanical might... Something Doom never did.

But, all that magic AND Doom's blood might make for a hodgepodge of insufferable clutter. :rolleyes:

My choice would be to come strong with Eva! She's already a classic.

I missed it when this spun off into it's own thread' date=' but I would still like to submit Mole Girl. She would be a martial artist, fond of using a staff like her dear old dad.[/quote']

Just a Martial Artist?

Please, oh please tell me that she'll have her father's bizarre genius, control over the subterranean hoards of Moloids, and cool shades! :cool:

Maybe there could be a link between her and the Deviants??? :eek:

It'd be a sweet lead-in for us to meet... THE ETERNALS!

'John' Morlock, aka Nightstalker {still working on him, Martial Brick, Spider Man SFX}

It seems a fantasy when Morlock 'remembers' his days as a brilliant scientist under the employ of Dr. Henry Philip McCoy (known in this timelime as The Dark Beast). Only fragments of memory remain, and these can't be trusted either...

He can piece together shattered thoughts of accelerating mutant genes, with failed experiments being thrown into the sewers, appropriately dubbed the 'Morlocks'. It is this word that he takes his name from, for he can remember no other.

His immense strength, durability, and reflexes, coupled with his ability to hide himself in shadows, have allowed him to live in these sewers, avoiding detection and capture... He has searched for any others like him down here, but to no avail, they seem to have been wiped out. He has watched from below, learning about the world above, wanting to be there but knowing his mutated body would not be welcomed...

And so he waited, living off what scraps he could, learning how to follow people unnoticed, to enter buildings and bypass securities, studying his surroundings thoroughly, learning how to survive the best he could.

Until that fateful day when Patrick Mulligan, one of New York City's finest cops [and host to the symbiote known as Toxin, the offspring of Carnage] lost his life and the symbiote needed a new host.

It was that day the Nightstalker was born.

TOXIN0101.jpg

'John' Morlock' date=' aka [b']Nightstalker[/b]

Awesome! :thumbup:

One question though...

Why is Nightstalker a part of a group? Not that there couldn't be a very good reason for his choice to partner with our high-powered and somewhat extroverted cabal but he seems like a classic loner to me.

- Oh, Just another quick... will this be a dual personality character like Toxin, or are you going a whole new route? I always wondered what happened to him. :)

Just a Martial Artist?

Please, oh please tell me that she'll have her father's bizarre genius, control over the subterranean hoards of Moloids, and cool shades! :cool:

Maybe there could be a link between her and the Deviants??? :eek:

It'd be a sweet lead-in for us to meet... THE ETERNALS!

Somhow I don't think I'll be allowed to whistle up any beasties that can eat a skyscraper, but I was going to have a few Moloids to run errands. And actually, I was going to make her mother a Deviant. Are you reading my mind, GoldenAge?

Hey, I've got HeroDesigner but some folk are posting Worddoc character sheets. Is that a function of HeroDesigner I haven't discovered yet (importing to Word) or is there another template out there for use?

Awesome! :thumbup:

One question though...

Why is Nightstalker a part of a group? Not that there couldn't be a very good reason for his choice to partner with our high-powered and somewhat extroverted cabal but he seems like a classic loner to me.

Thanks ;)

Good question GA. The answer is simple.

The 'human' part of Morlock yearns for companionship - the ability to have any sort of relationship [friendship, etc] has been stolen from him by the one who used him and experimented upon him, Doc McCoy.

The symbiote suit becomes his first 'friend' - it wants to be a part of what's going on in the world. It also allows him to change his appearance and more or less 'join superhero society' - of course not too many groups would want such a creature, but a group such as this may just give him a chance...

[quote=GoldenAge

- Oh, Just another quick... will this be a dual personality character like Toxin, or are you going a whole new route? I always wondered what happened to him. :)

Still thinking about that... I kind of like the idea of him talking to the symbiote, it's creepy and fun to play... as for the symbiote's ability to control his actions... perhaps some sort of Berserk type lim?

Thanks ;)

Good question GA. The answer is simple.

The 'human' part of Morlock yearns for companionship - the ability to have any sort of relationship [friendship, etc] has been stolen from him by the one who used him and experimented upon him, Doc McCoy.

The symbiote suit becomes his first 'friend' - it wants to be a part of what's going on in the world. It also allows him to change his appearance and more or less 'join superhero society' - of course not too many groups would want such a creature, but a group such as this may just give him a chance...

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Still thinking about that... I kind of like the idea of him talking to the symbiote' date=' it's creepy and fun to play... as for the symbiote's ability to control his actions... perhaps some sort of Berserk type lim?[/quote']

Would it be crazy to build that guy with Multiform? Imagine two totally distinct characters with only the whisper of their former selves remaining after the transition? :fear:

Would it be crazy to build that guy with Multiform? Imagine two totally distinct characters with only the whisper of their former selves remaining after the transition? :fear:

Yeah, that would be an interesting take, but I don't think I want to take it that far, besides, I want him to have control over the suit and be able to use it's powers, not just when the demented suit takes over...

Re: I need me a piece of that action!

Very true. Those insanely wealthy Eurotrash punks! Always having lots of sex with random beautiful people at wild and decadent parties while plotting to take over the world...

Hmmm... wonder where I can sign up for some of that? :think:

I'll try and get you an invite.

Question for Snake: How common do you figure magic/sorcery is in the Marvel Universe? I'd say "Common" at least' date=' possibly "Very Common."[/quote']

I'd say just short of common.

Sure, if you're reading Doctor Strange, then it's super-common... But elsewhere it only pops up every now and again. Of all the Avengers, how many had powers based solely on magic? According to Avengers Forever web site about 2% (both fairly weak; Scarlet Witch & Doctor Druid).

Of course, magic items are available enough... but that's just an easy explanation for powers... Also, I didn't count anything divine, which seems to be a Marvel favorite.

For the longest time Wanda was referred too much more as a mutant than a sorceress. The X-Men rarely deal with magic and when they do its origins are often from other dimensions.

Of all Marvel's titles the Defenders dealt with magic the most... But everyone else, not so much.

Just my perspective based on allot of comicbook reading. Of course, I haven't read everything. :rolleyes:

I thought it was made pretty clear in JLA/Avengers where it was clearly stated that magic in the DC universe was much stronger than magic in the Marvel universe.

Let's just ask ourselves how Dr. Fate would fare against Magneto or Dr. Doom... :D

Who knows... It's a matter of perspective.

Hey, I've got HeroDesigner but some folk are posting Worddoc character sheets. Is that a function of HeroDesigner I haven't discovered yet (importing to Word) or is there another template out there for use?

Yeah.

Under File, there is the option Export to File (or Ctrl+B). It'll pop up a screen where you select where you want to save it, and what template. There are a load of templates, inclusing a couple straight text files.

Still figuring out Ms Von Doom. Peep these pics and let me know which one grabs you.

L to R: Eva (daughter of Doom and undisclosed Euro-snob), Claire (daugher of Doom and Emma Frost), Magda (daughter of Doom and Morgali), Lena (mother unknown), DoomBot.

I like Eva as well, but then I'm a sucker for the Classic Dr Doom.

I missed it when this spun off into it's own thread' date=' but I would still like to submit Mole Girl. She would be a martial artist, fond of using a staff like her dear old dad.[/quote']Feel free. The deadline isn't till Saturday.

Mole Girl's stats came together easy as pie. Now I just need to do her background story and post.

I am hitting a slight snag. Just like Mole Man and Dr. Doom's color schemes are almost identical, I have a feeling Mole Girl and Doom's Daughter would show up to the dance wearing the same outfit. Any suggestions?

Looks good.

Though I'm not familiar with Toxin, I assume he'd have powers along the likes of Carnage and Venom?

Look here! for info on Toxin.

Yes, the third Symbiote, spawned by Carnage, is stronger than the first two. Some notes from that site:

* Despite the fact that Spider-Man has allied with Venom on numerous occasions, Toxin is actually the first symbiote that Spider-Man considers a friend and ally.

* Toxin has two facial appearances: He can form a jaw with sharp teeth, or he can go without one. When he goes without a mouth, his appearance looks like a cross between Spider-Man and Deadpool. With a jaw, he looks somewhat identical to Carnage and Venom.

* Personality and character-wise, Toxin is very similar to Hybrid, his predecessor.

* Compared with the other symbiotes (She-Venom, Scream etc.), Toxin is considered to be a great success and not a "carbon copy" of his predecessors.

* His webbing form (which usually takes the shape and appearance of a steel chain) is said to be a reference to Ghost Rider.

* The symbiote inside him, having been just spawned, acts very immature and childlike, once refusing to aid Pat in battle until he apologized for an earlier argument. [of course this is a little further down the line, so the symbiote may have matured a little, personality wise]

Yet another Eva vote. :thumbup: While the idea of the Frost-child is interesting, it might lose some of the focus of a simple Doom-heir, and the outfit seems too...impractical for a von Doom. :P