How would you construct and Ecstasy Weapon?

Re: How would you construct and Ecstasy Weapon?

(Eh. Your call on the interaction thing.) Ah' date=' love/hate relationships among heros and villains. Maybe they'll become lovers. :D What tension! What bitter guilt! What a terrible falling out it would eventually invite! :king: (Both 'her's? What a drooling good opportunity for popcorn! Sorry....)

Er... um... Actually, in secret ID, Rapture is already the lover of one of the PCs (a different PC; a guy with heightened senses and empathy). He knows about her villain ID, but Rapture doesn't know he's the hero with the x2 KB gun she likes getting hit with. Rapture is something of a masochist/hedonist combined (I'm thinking of posting her stats now actually).

There was an OLD issue of Adventurer's Club that had a gadget called the "Auto-Hypnotic Gun", patterned from a gadget from the movie "Looker". Basically, it flashed a hypnotic pulse of light that would put the target into a trance, causing them to lose all track of time for a few seconds or minutes. It was built as a powerful NND (8d6 for Heroic campaigns, 12d6 for Supers) with a -1 Limitation "Instant Awaken". The effect of the limitation was: unless the gun did enough "damage" to CON-stun or KO the target, the target took NO damage and the weapon had no effect; and that once the target recovered from being stunned (or a loud noise or something woke them out of the trance), all the damage was immediately "healed". Of course, once you've got the target Stunned, you could flash them again to put them into a deeper trance (increasing the interval at which they'd gete to take a Recovery and shake off the trance).

Maybe you could adapt this game mechanic to help make your Ecstasy Gun.....

I have a character with a couple of ecstasy type powers. The first, Rapture, is a BOECV Entangle. The second, Stimulate, is a Flash to the Mental and Touch groups.

Maybe you could adapt this game mechanic to help make your Ecstasy Gun.....

I posted a version of that kind of power that Steve eventually used for the USPDII: Telepathic Time Stop. The key idea was "Blocks Sense of Passage of Time", a GM defined sense. For a Looker Gun, I'd use:

30 Looker Gun: Entangle 1d6, 2 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group Hearing Group, Stops A Given Sense Group Sight Group, Stops A Given Sense Sense of Passage of Time), 16 Charges (+0), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+¼), Works Against EGO, Not STR (+¼), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-¼) (90 Active Points); OAF (Looker Gun; -1), Susceptible Common (Loud Noises, Attacks on the character or Other Effects that might break the trance; -½), Cannot Form Barriers (-¼), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Not vs Targets with Flash Defense, Closed Eyes or Similar; -¼) [16]

I posted a version of that kind of power that Steve eventually used for the USPDII: Telepathic Time Stop. The key idea was "Blocks Sense of Passage of Time"' date=' a GM defined sense. For a Looker Gun, I'd use:[/quote']

Well, building it as an Entangle would certainly be one way to do it; but for my money, it just doesn't pass the "smell test" of what we actually observe in the film. The victims of the LOOKER gun don't seem like "prisoners in their own minds" struggling to break free; they're in a trance -- almost like they're asleep, although still standing and with their eyes open (read: KO'ed or Stunned). They wake up when they wake up (i.e.; when they get their regular opportunity to recover from being CON-Stunned), not when they manage to do enough BODY "damage" with their EGO to "bust out". That's how Albert Finney can remain hypnotized for a good 10-15 minutes, then sudden notices that he's been standing in front of the open refrigerator and everything's melted or thawed out; an Entangled character (even one blinded and deafened by your "Stops Senses" Entangle) would immediately recognize that something is wrong because his mind is still active and aware while he's imprisoned.

Given the above description, a Mind Control, based on CON, requires eye contact (with the device), One Command ("Stand still" at Target does not remember period of control) would seem to cover it.

You're trapped until you make the Ego roll, at which time you don't remember anything since the attack was made.

Given the above description, a Mind Control, based on CON, requires eye contact (with the device), One Command ("Stand still" at Target does not remember period of control) would seem to cover it.

You're trapped until you make the Ego roll, at which time you don't remember anything since the attack was made.

Except that the command to forget would also snap once you made the break out roll.

Except that the command to forget would also snap once you made the break out roll.

Forgetting, or more accurately, not remembering what happens during the Mind Control isn't a separate command, but a Modifier to the target effect number.

Forgetting' date=' or more accurately, not remembering what happens during the Mind Control isn't a separate command, but a Modifier to the target effect number.[/quote']

Ah. I misread Hugh's intent.

Of course, if you just wanted someone to stand there doing nothing and not be aware of their surroundings, all you need is an EGO+30 on Mental Illusions. The illusion would just be "nothing happens" until the breakout roll is made.

Er... um... Actually' date=' in secret ID, Rapture is already the lover of one of the PCs (a different PC; a guy with heightened senses and empathy). He knows about her villain ID, but Rapture doesn't know he's the hero with the x2 KB gun she likes getting hit with. Rapture is something of a masochist/hedonist combined (I'm thinking of posting her stats now actually).[/quote']

Hmm. Love triangle. Even better. :D:eg:

Actually I just thought of a fun way to simulate it:

Overstimulator 6000!!: EB 6d6 AVLD (touch based flash defense) +1 1/2 OAF -1 Doesn't work agains creatures with no sense of touch or pleasure -1/4, 12 charges -1/4. Active cost 75, Real cost 30

Not so much an Ecstacy Weapon, but.....

How bout this for a power......could be a Focus or a Psychic ability, but when the target is hit, not only do they suffer STUN (Ego Attack), but they must make a roll to act because the pain/pleasure is so intense. (Mind Control, Linked, with limitation that no command may be given, just impedes awareness...or...the command "think nothing")?

also.....

Of course' date=' if you just wanted someone to stand there doing nothing and not be aware of their surroundings, all you need is an EGO+30 on Mental Illusions. The illusion would just be "nothing happens" until the breakout roll is made.[/quote']

Problem here is that with a Mental Illusion EGO+30, in the real world, you'd stand there like a dummy, but, in your head, you'd experience everything to be in "freeze-frame", but you'd be aware of what you were doing or thinking.

oryan

Problem here is that with a Mental Illusion EGO+30, in the real world, you'd stand there like a dummy, but, in your head, you'd experience everything to be in "freeze-frame", but you'd be aware of what you were doing or thinking.

oryan

They'd be aware of what the Mental Illusion was, not of anything in reality. The Illusion could easily be "time stops and nothing happens." To the subject, it would be like they blacked out and regained consciousness when they made their breakout roll. The Illusion could also be allow them to be partially aware of reality, it's all up to the Mentalist and how his powers might be limited.

See Dust, this where I disagree on the effect of Mental Illusions. The Mental Illusion power lets you lead the Character to beleive things are occuring, when they are not. The 30+ effect causes them to completely lose touch with reality, experiencing nothing but that illusion.

So if you had a 30+ Mental Illusion that showed time had stopped, that wouldn't cause the targets mind to shut down.

oryan

So if you had a 30+ Mental Illusion that showed time had stopped' date=' that wouldn't cause the targets mind to shut down.[/quote']

True, but of what use is his/her mind likely to be in the circumstances anyway? I mean, I suppose the target could decide to try to strike out randomly, but when the senses still say nothing is happening.... ;)

See Dust, this where I disagree on the effect of Mental Illusions. The Mental Illusion power lets you lead the Character to beleive things are occuring, when they are not. The 30+ effect causes them to completely lose touch with reality, experiencing nothing but that illusion.

So if you had a 30+ Mental Illusion that showed time had stopped, that wouldn't cause the targets mind to shut down.

oryan

I see no disagreement here. The target's mind does not shut down, it simply stops perceiving time the same way it would normally.

Are you proposing the idea that the illusion itself is that since time is not moving forward, from the characters perspective, theres no reason to do anything, since they can't or shouldn't or have no reason to?

Sort of that their mental facuties beleive that they have stopped, even though they haven't?

oryan

Are you proposing the idea that the illusion itself is that since time is not moving forward, from the characters perspective, theres no reason to do anything, since they can't or shouldn't or have no reason to?

Sort of that their mental facuties beleive that they have stopped, even though they haven't?

oryan

Sort of that whatever the mental faculties are actually doing, they have no idea they've been doing, and once the effect wears off and they do know what they are doing again, they have no idea how much time has passed since the last moment they were aware of anything.