Newspapers in Champions campaigns?

Trebuchet

In the campaign I recently started I'm using a simple one pager based off of the website of the campaign newspaper (using the Washington Post's Webpage as my template)...usually it's a series of "links" or headlines with a paragraph blurb on the subjects...people seem to like them. I've got a "Super Hype" section that tell what the heroes or other teams were doing, some headlines, some red herrings and other campaign plot lines. It's simple, quick to write and has, so far, gotten a good response. Additionally I can put stuff in the SuperHype section to show the effects the heroes actions are having on the public...I'm even thinking of putting a sidebar in, on occassion, that shows polls of superhero popularity, etc. just to tweak some characters ;)

Originally posted by BlackCobra

May I recommend, if you have access to the software, using the Newsletter template in Microsoft Publisher? I don't normally care much for MS software, but Publisher is a really simple program to use and their templates are handy. The Newsletter format is a four-page document (designed to go on 11x17 paper and then be folded in half), with lots of space for articles and pictures (clip-art is nice, or random internet pictures).

It is some work to put something that big together -- if you have less time and/or inspiration, you can just use the front page for a big story or two.

I especially liked it when I was running to liberally sprinkle clues to upcoming events or introduce villains/heroes encountered by others.

Thank you VERY much, I'll look into this. :)

Originally posted by ShelleyCM

I really like that! In my PRIMUS game, I always included the latest scuttlebutt on any particular PC or NPC whenever a PC encountered that person. It was fun to watch the players' reactions to how other people perceived them or what other people were saying about them.

-Shelley

Sometimes I wish I lived closer to Portland...

Originally posted by MarkusDark

As an FYI, this was a good thread to start. Got my creativeness flowing and putting together a full page article for my peeps. ;)

I must admit I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the feedback on this topic. I had lunch with the other two GMs in my campaign today and gave them the first issue and they were very enthusiastic. I think this will add a lot of depth to our campaign.