Precognition build question

garou

I am working on an ACME Plot Device , and I hit a snag. I need to build a prophet, though with a slight twist. Right now, I have the following:

Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight And Hearing Groups) (50 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Precognition Only (-1), Blackout (-1/2), Vague and Unclear (-1/2), Time Modifiers (-1/2)

Which gives me someone who can see the future, but not always, nor on command, nor typically very far. And, when they are seeing the future, they are also unable to use their senses.

But, it's not quite what I want. I want the prophet to be unaware that they have had a vision. People around them know, but to the prophet, it never happened. (I hate it as an example, but Trelawney from the Harry Potter stuff would be an example.) I'm tempted to call it a -1, and remove the "Blackout" (since the Blackout becomes rather redundant).

For various and sundry reasons, I can't just handwave this - much as I would like to do so. Thoughts?

Re: Precognition build question

That works too. I think it will only be a 5 pt, since, while it could have devastating effects, it also might only have slight ones, and won't happen every game session.

Thanks!

Dangit - can't rep either of you for it, either.

At first IPE seems like the way to go, but that's an Advantage and this certainly limits the power.

I guess my first question is going to be how you plan on playing it. Is it just going to be some kind of random note the character will get slipped every now and then?

Instead of a Disad, I would rather see the power limited. Maybe -1 No Conscious Recollection of Precog.

At first IPE seems like the way to go, but that's an Advantage and this certainly limits the power.

I guess my first question is going to be how you plan on playing it. Is it just going to be some kind of random note the character will get slipped every now and then?

Instead of a Disad, I would rather see the power limited. Maybe -1 No Conscious Recollection of Precog.

The player with the power will not get the note - other players who are in the vicinity get the note. Presumably, at least one will choose to share the information, but with my group, you never know. :eg:

The player with the power will not get the note - other players who are in the vicinity get the note. Presumably' date=' at least one will choose to share the information, but with my group, you never know. :eg:[/quote']

OH! I see, the player has Precog but everyone else gets the visions?

Definately, Mental Illusions or Mind Link UAO and the SFX is PreCog.

No - the precog has the visions, but has no recollection of them. If there is no one else present to hear them, then they are lost to all time. The precog is not even aware that they have had the vision - one minute, they are in the middle of a conversation, and the next, everyone is looking at them funny and the coffee has gotten cold.

No - the precog has the visions' date=' but has no recollection of them. If there is no one else present to hear them, then they are lost to all time. The precog is not even aware that they have had the vision - one minute, they are in the middle of a conversation, and the next, everyone is looking at them funny and the coffee has gotten cold.[/quote']

Ahhhhhh. The visions are not noticable by the character but are projected into the air around him so that anyone present can see them. Hmmm.

Images with a Lim that the character cannot see the images. No Conscious Control. SFX if precog.

Ahhhhhh. The visions are not noticable by the character but are projected into the air around him so that anyone present can see them. Hmmm.

Images with a Lim that the character cannot see the images. No Conscious Control. SFX if precog.

I still don't think you're getting it.

The oracle goes into a trance and describes the vision or delivers a prophecy. Then he comes out of the trance WITH NO RECOLLECTION OF WHAT HE SAID OR PERCEPTION OF ELAPSED TIME. Anyone there hears the prophecy, but the prophet does not know what was said unless someone tells him.

They don't see the vision - they just hear what he says about it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that this could STILL be considered Usable By Others, and Not on Self.

I still don't think you're getting it.

The oracle goes into a trance and describes the vision or delivers a prophecy. Then he comes out of the trance WITH NO RECOLLECTION OF WHAT HE SAID OR PERCEPTION OF ELAPSED TIME. Anyone there hears the prophecy, but the prophet does not know what was said unless someone tells him.

They don't see the vision - they just hear what he says about it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that this could STILL be considered Usable By Others, and Not on Self.

Oh. Wow. My brain just was NOT gettin it.

I think images might be the right power even then. Vocal images only, SFX Precog, Character cannot hear images.

The main point of the power is No Conscious Control Precog. With those powers I always try to make them as cheap as humanly possible. The point is not to have a character dump a huge lump of points into something that I would use as a plot hint. Oh...0 DCV concentrate too. :)

No - the precog has the visions' date=' but has no recollection of them. If there is no one else present to hear them, then they are lost to all time. The precog is not even aware that they have had the vision - one minute, they are in the middle of a conversation, and the next, everyone is looking at them funny and the coffee has gotten cold.[/quote']

Someone or Some Thing else is speaking through them, for the duration of the experience; it seizes control of their body and temporarily pushes aside their mind to make room. Treat as a combination of Blackouts (phys disad, infrequently/slightly, 5 points) and an Uncontrolled Precognition; since the character doesn't control the precognition, you can simply rule that the visions coincide with the Blackouts. Also make the Precognition "Independent", so it can be used when the character is unconscious.

Oh. Wow. My brain just was NOT gettin it.

I think images might be the right power even then. Vocal images only, SFX Precog, Character cannot hear images.

The main point of the power is No Conscious Control Precog. With those powers I always try to make them as cheap as humanly possible. The point is not to have a character dump a huge lump of points into something that I would use as a plot hint. Oh...0 DCV concentrate too. :)

Why the heck would you need Images for something your voice can do normally? The net effect is detecting something about the future, not making people perceive something that isn't there.