Global hexes

FTJoshua

Anybody know offhand how many hexes the surface of planet Earth is?

If I want to have a mental power, say Mental Illusion, that could encompass the entire globe, I figure it's a really big Area Effect, yeah? Point totals to do so would be nice to know too, but not essential. (GM's don't need POINTS to accomplish something.)

Actually, under the circumstances, it's not even important to know the answer, but I was just curious if anyone had done the math.

PS: This is 4th edition.

Re: Global hexes

Anybody know offhand how many hexes the surface of planet Earth is?

I knew offhand where to find it. Is that good enough?

This is 4th edition.

About 3,000,000 hexes (S10, HERO/Champions 4th Edition, under "PlanetMan").

:P

Re: Global hexes

Okay, the planet earth has a total surface area of 509,600,000 square kilometers. Each square kilometer has (1000 x 1000 =) 1,000,000 square meters. Presuming that a hex is approximately 4 square meters, that means there are 250,000 game hexes per square kilometer, or 127,400,000,000,000 game hexes for planet earth.

Working from an area of effect radius standpoint, earth's circumference is 40,075 kilometers, or 20,037,500 game inches. To wrap around earth, you need a radius of effect of half that distance, or 10,018,750 game inches.

The power modifier is +1 with each doubling of its one-inch radius for +1/4. Doubling from 1 to 10+ million takes 24 doublings, for a total of a +7 Power Modifier for "Area of effect -- all of planet earth" by my reckoning.

Feel free to correct my math if you think I'm off.

Matt "Four-years-of-high-school-algebra-and-I-still-had-to-take-Trigonometry-in-college" Frisbee