Anybody out there playing Doctor Who Hero?

oryanfactor

Re: Anybody out there playing Doctor Who Hero?

Re: the Cybermen write-up.

I haven't seen Army of Ghosts/Doomsday. Does the gold vulnerability come up in these episodes?

The fake Cybus Industries website that the BBC created mentions that some of the early Upgrade prototypes had an unusual allergy to gold, but they corrected the problem before going into production.

http://www.cybusindustries.net/lumic.htm

"Of course there were always going to be teething troubles. Some of the early designs appeared to be allergic to gold, but we were able to eradicate that in the later stages of development."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: the Cybermen write-up.

I haven't seen Army of Ghosts/Doomsday. Does the gold vulnerability come up in these episodes?

The fake Cybus Industries website that the BBC created mentions that some of the early Upgrade prototypes had an unusual allergy to gold, but they corrected the problem before going into production.

http://www.cybusindustries.net/lumic.htm

"Of course there were always going to be teething troubles. Some of the early designs appeared to be allergic to gold, but we were able to eradicate that in the later stages of development."

Pretty much the case with Cybermen. Gold was merely the most well known of their temporary vulnerabilities. They had also previously been vulnerable to plastic eating acids, electricity and other types of attack. Although the term "upgrade" wasn't used in the original series that I remember, it was certainly mentioned that newer version were improved upon and vulnerabilities were reduced.

However - that being said - the new series Cybermen are technologically less advanced than the original series. The Daleks have been substantially updated for the new series, but the Cybermen have not (as yet).

I just like that Dr Who is back on TV.

Now that I've seen the "new first series" DVDs, I can wholeheartedly agree. Everything that was ever iconic about Doctor Who is in the new version, everything that is new is suitably justified, and the writing, acting and production values are both consistent and consistently good. The show deserves its success.

But I think it's bigger than that even-

http://www.unitnews.co.uk/story.php?article_id=668

http://www.unitnews.co.uk/story.php?article_id=666

the final episode of the second series, was seen by an average of 7.7 million viewers according to unofficial overnight figures - an audience share of 43% - and at one point peaked at 8.3 million.

And it is HUGE!

It's amazing - I've been following how big it is getting in the UK.

I'm not surprised, in light of the quality of the show. From what I know, comparing British Doctor Who fandom to American Star Trek fandom falls a little short in that Doctor Who always did have more of a mainstream following in its home country.

To return to the original post, one of my friends has been talking about how to best run a Doctor Who game and he had a unique (I think) idea. Instead of disintegrating the Timelord or having companions-only in a working TARDIS, his plan was to change the PoV.

In many episodes, the Doctor goes off and meets someone or works on some problem while the companions are elsewhere chatting up some local or just basically staying out of the Doctor's way. It might be fun to have an arrogant, somewhat distant Timelord who goes one way while the companions (ie, PCs) go another and have their own encounters. In this way, you've made both the TARDIS and the Timelord into plot devices and the campaign is really a time-travelling normals game.

Sounded interesting enough to me.

Guest daeudi_454

It might be fun to have an arrogant' date=' somewhat distant Timelord who goes one way while the companions (ie, PCs) go another and have their own encounters. .[/quote']

"Dude... I know he parked here.... "

"Anyone think he'll come back for us?"

"uh.... maybe the Dark Ages won't be so bad..."

Possibly because it's more adventure than science fiction.

And possibly because when it started there were only two television channels :D

Incredible to think that the show was supposed to be an educational programme for children when it was first considered.

No, quite understandable. If you do time travel - you have valid story reasons to explore history.

Even the new series teaches. Although most episodes teach morality and heroism, and never giving up despite all loss of hope. There is occaisonal history in there.