All Scots don't have 17 str!

Alibear

Re: All Scots don't have 17 str!

In regard to Utech's point - Instead of a multipower for the weapon, I'm thinking of adding a short list of maneuvers for weapons that can be used in several different ways - lets do a quarterstaff for an example.

Quarterstaff: (Total: 35 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) HA +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), STR Minimum 10 (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8) plus +1 with HTH Combat (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

Comments, criticisms and suggestions are welcome.

The mechanic for this already exists, in the form of martial manuvers that require a Weapons element (in this case the quarterstaff).

And we already have packages in UMA for fencing, kenjutsu (trained use of the katana), etc. The framework is there for a staff art, the Zweihander's training, etc.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This page does a pretty good job of summarizing my feeling on the naming conventions...

http://www.electricscotland.com/familytree/magazine/augsep2002/claymore.htm

and here are a few of the swords I've actually fought with...

the first is the model I've used for better than 15 years, and still have hanging on my wall to my immediate left. Mine has the old (no longer avialable :( ) Superblade upgrade, which were forged by a family of traditional swordsmiths in France.

The second is a traditional styled Claymore made by Paul Chen, one of the better weaponsmiths currently bopping around.

The third is a more "modern" styled greatsword, patterned by Master Chen from a late 16th century musueum peice. This style was popular with both lowland troops and the more urbane Scottish Mercenaries (fighting men were a major export from Scotland).He calls it the Lowlander greatsword.

For comparison, the final pic is a Zwiehander made by the same people who did my bastard Claymore, American Fencers Supply in San Francisco.

The mechanic for this already exists, in the form of martial manuvers that require a Weapons element (in this case the quarterstaff).

And we already have packages in UMA for fencing, kenjutsu (trained use of the katana), etc. The framework is there for a staff art, the Zweihander's training, etc.

My thought was to expand the list of default maneuvers - not martial maneuvers. Adding these for each weapon would allow the flexibility to model combat a bit better without having to make every character a martial artist with every weapon they decide to wield.

Seeing as I doubt this would be of any use to my games, since my players have difficulty using maneuvers other than the regular strike without prompting (yes, even the martial artists), and noticing the lack of comments on the idea I'm just scrapping it.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

On to the next one...

For that matter' date=' height [i']is[/i] probably at least as much a factor in this case as strength.

Then again, it may have to do with economics and position as much as raw physical ability.

That certainly played a role...rich means well fed...especially protein, thus bigger and stronger (and healthier in general)

True' date=' but I also meant in terms of the choice of equipment and training.[/quote']

I know...but take two people and equip and train them the same and the stronger and healthier soldier wins most all the time....to quote a football coach..."A good big man beats a good small man every time" ...not fair, but true...

I know...but take two people and equip and train them the same and the stronger and healthier soldier wins most all the time....to quote a football coach..."A good big man beats a good small man every time" ...not fair' date=' but true...[/quote']

In football, maybe. I don't know. In general, I don't tend to agree. Each has his strengths and weaknesses. But as you will.

I think we're talking about two different things here.

I have no problem with the Martial Arts packages for various weapons or fighting styles. They make lots of sense to me. They reflect the sort of cool things someone can do with a lot of training.

But the weapons themselves should be capable of more things regardless of who is using them. A really big sword should be able to be used normally, half-sword, and as a club (perhaps in other ways as well) without having to purchase extra Multipowers or Martial Arts maneuvers.

That is to say, they should be able to do that if you want a campaign that uses these weapons the way they really were meant to be used. If you want big brushstrokes that say a sword does X amount of damage and has Y STR minimum and that's it, then all is well -- carry on! :celebrate

I have no problem with the Martial Arts packages for various weapons or fighting styles. They make lots of sense to me. They reflect the sort of cool things someone can do with a lot of training.

But the weapons themselves should be capable of more things regardless of who is using them. A really big sword should be able to be used normally, half-sword, and as a club (perhaps in other ways as well) without having to purchase extra Multipowers or Martial Arts maneuvers.

That is to say, they should be able to do that if you want a campaign that uses these weapons the way they really were meant to be used. If you want big brushstrokes that say a sword does X amount of damage and has Y STR minimum and that's it, then all is well -- carry on! :celebrate

Well I think the idea is that while a weapon Can be used in a varity of ways, a person who trys will likely do themselves more harm than good, unless thay invest lots of time for training and practice....and "training and practice" is another name for martial arts...;)

See my coments in post #50 above.

To summarize...

Any sword can be used to perform a Killing attack...that's the default Strike.

Any (or at least most) swords can be used to strike with a blunt portion of the weapon... the Club Weapon maneuver. Also not requiring Martial Arts.

A sword with a riccasso is probably best represented by allowing the weilder to shift from using it as a Medium Weapon to using it as a Short Weapon, thus allowing the weilder to exploit the Weapon Length rules to his own advantage.

This last is probably best represented like most of the other "minimal game effects" weapon additions listed in FH. Say a nominal 5 point cost, if you decide its worth at least a few AP's.