Battletech Mecha First Loves, Favourites, and just plain silly.

TheQuestionMan

Re: Battletech Mecha First Loves, Favourites, and just plain silly.

Light: Panther - A 35ton jumper with a PPC. All the other light mechs drained their coolant when they saw it.

Medium: Hunchback - A HB in a city was scary. You turn the corner and get a face full of AC20...

Heavy: Warhammer - Won MVP of a tourny in one of these. Best looking mech in the game.

Assault: Battlemaster - This was the assault you met most. Nobody wanted to pay for the Atlas, and the Awesome just got to darn hot.

I have great stories in both wargames and Mechwarrio RPG games in all four of these mechs. I'll never forget them...

As far as clan... the complete flexibility of omni mechs helped kill the battletech wargame. (imo)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Light: Panther - A 35ton jumper with a PPC. All the other light mechs drained their coolant when they saw it.

My Valkerie's ate Panthers for breakfast.

Medium: Hunchback - A HB in a city was scary. You turn the corner and get a face full of AC20...

Definitely ugly. When it came to city fighting I let it be known the only way I enter a city is by LEVELING IT!!! as I advance from Long-Range.

Heavy: Warhammer - Won MVP of a tourny in one of these. Best looking mech in the game.

Match you a ThunderBolt or Crusader vs your Warhammer.

Assault: Battlemaster - This was the assault you met most. Nobody wanted to pay for the Atlas' date=' and the Awesome just got to darn hot.[/quote']

I never enjoyed running Assault Mechs, but I thought the Victor a good mech.

I have great stories in both wargames and Mechwarrio RPG games in all four of these mechs. I'll never forget them...

I know what you mean.

As far as clan... the complete flexibility of omni mechs helped kill the battletech wargame. (imo)

Your preaching to the choir.

INCOMING!!!

QM

In truth we cannot' date=' but I prefer a Medium. Do you not?[/quote']

It varies on the scenario and terrain. Playing on heavy wooded maps I'll use jump cable mechs with out little thought. Snatch and grab scenarios I chose the fast but fragile style. Of late me and my group games have been mainly beat downs on semi open terrain. I may be a House Steiner mechwarrior but I haven't forgot what I learn as a fedrat.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it might be' date=' but when in guardian......man talk about maneuverablity.[/quote']

Yeah that was cool. About the only way to bring one down was with a Grasshopper, not moving, and lots and lots of skill. Next to impossible to hit.

Cheers

QM

It varies on the scenario and terrain. Playing on heavy wooded maps I'll use jump cable mechs with out little thought. Snatch and grab scenarios I chose the fast but fragile style. Of late me and my group games have been mainly beat downs on semi open terrain. I may be a House Steiner mechwarrior but I haven't forgot what I learn as a fedrat.;)

I have been a Eridani Light Horseman from the start. Born in the saddle yah might say ;) . My second most used Faction is the Federated Suns then the Draconis Combine (a Black Wave Warrior).

"Fire your Auto-Cannons until they glow. If need be till they explode!"

QM

I have been a Eridani Light Horseman from the start. Born in the saddle yah might say ;) . My second most used Faction is the Federated Suns then the Draconis Combine (a Black Wave Warrior).

QM

Lets see I've started by battletech career as a merc. Then once I got into the background i went to house davion. The clanners came, I went to steiner because for a while the only type of mechs that seem the most "success" against the clans were assaults. Now thought I feel then need to move on, maybe I'll try my luck with Periphery state.

QM

My C wanted the ELH, but ended up in a Merc Compnay, Gamblers Gambler's. This group of Merc's were unknown but made a name for themselves. Over Time we expanded into two companies, my C was the overall second-in-command. We were for the length of the game always FedStar aligned.

GG became the primere Merc Compnay in FedStar, we won fights when we shouldn't, we tricked others, we did things in a way that no one else would consider, but we won.

We always ignored the Clans so they never came into our BTech world...

Locust, refitted with Small Lasers and Jump Jets (remove the machine guns). Because a real assault mech doesn't need any more than that. Hey, I dropped a Battlemaster with that thing. But I don't recommend a Death From Above ... results were messy.

Locust' date=' refitted with Small Lasers and Jump Jets (remove the machine guns). Because a [i']real[/i] assault mech doesn't need any more than that. Hey, I dropped a Battlemaster with that thing. But I don't recommend a Death From Above ... results were messy.

:lol: Yeah... those Locust legs are spindly!

A had a Wasp jump behind my Crusader he rolled Center Torso Critical, 2 Criticals, Gyro and Gyro. I ejected and my Lance withdrew.

The next game, Piloting a Wasp myself I lept behind an enemy Crusader rolled Center Torso Critical, 2 Criticals, Gyro and Gyro and ordered my Lance to grab the fallen Mech and run back to base.

Sometimes fate has a strange sense of humor.

QM

I played in a Mechwarrior campaign for several years, and we used Battletech for our mech fights, of course. My character hated combat, and had initially opted to be a scout because scouts are, by and large, supposed to run away from danger. Fate seemed to have other plans for Marissa Duvall, though, and she kept getting pushed into situations where she couldn't run away from combat, and her piloting and gunnery skills kept on inching higher and higher.

One extended adventure found us doing some undercover work on Solaris 7 as part of one of the big name gladiatorial stables there. Marissa's prefered mechs were lights (very mobile, very agile, very good at running away fast). For the arena fights she was in, she was forced (partly by the stable owner, partly by circumstances) to use an lumbering assault-class mech... and a Goliath at that!

During her tenure in the stable, Marissa won every single one of her arena duels with one salvo. Let me repeat that: Every. Single. One. while she was fighting for that stable (and she only had one arena duel where she wasn't fighting for that stable).

I had an unbelievable penchant for "Center Torso: Possible Critical" and "Head" shots. The GM switched dice on me frequently. His dice, my dice, my fellow player's dice... it didn't matter. Marissa entered every arena duel for that stable scared stiff, and fought by playing hide-and-seek, and avoiding her opponent, until they got frustrated, did something stupid that gave her an opening... then she went for it, guns blazing.

The only arena duel she didn't win with one salvo was AFTER she'd retired from the circuit as #1 of the Top Twenty, and was getting set to leave Solaris. At the press conference where she'd announced her retirement, a woman she didn't know stood up and challenged her to a duel. Marissa replied (rather sarcastically) that she was retired, and told the stranger (in somewhat... less than polite language) what she could go do with herself. The woman then informed her that if Marissa didn't accept her challenge, she'd hunt Marissa down and shoot her in the back. (The newsfeeds were, of course, following all this with glee.) Marissa lost her temper and told the stranger that she'd meet her at the time and place of the stranger's choosing, and who the [censored] was she, anyway?

The daughter of the Bounty Hunter, the stranger said.

Marissa got one of those horrible stomach-leaving-on-vacation-now feelings, but it was too late to back out... and besides, if she didn't show, she fully expected the woman to follow through on her threat of hunting down, etc.

The Bounty Hunter's daughter chose a small second-rate arena called "The Pit" for the challenge. It was nothing but an open square of bare earth with thick earthwork embankments around it. In other words... no place to run, no place to hide, no place to avoid the enemy until they made a mistake Marissa could capitalize upon. But it got worse.

The Bounty Hunter's daughter was piloting a Marauder II that had been largely rebuilt with Clan tech. We were also using the optional initiative rules and the arena dueling rules and manuevers, so I kept using the Evade action, waiting for a time when I manged to beat the GM on the initiative roll, so I could take a shot. When the time came that I rolled the maximum I possibly could for initiative and at the same time the GM rolled the lowest possible... and I still lost initiative... I began to get the idea of what was going on here... he was bound and determined that by God I'd lose at least ONE arena duel, and this had been set up specifically so I couldn't win.

I decided at that point I'd have to stop dodging and take a shot, and hope the shot the Bounty Hunter's daughter got off first (because of her higher initiative) wouldn't be instantly fatal, and would leave me in a state to be able to return fire. She pivoted around, brought up one of those massive forearms... I asked the GM what she was firing and, grinning, he replied "The ultra AC/20". And then he added "And with her gunnery skill, there is NO WAY that I can miss. Rolling the dice is just a formality." That was the first time I've had the weird experience of playing a character and literally having their life flash before their eyes.

Chortling, he rolled... and the dice came up double 1's. On an ultra autocannon... that's a weapon jam.

He stared at the dice in stunned disbelief... and so did I. Then I grabbed for my dice and told him I was, for my shot, taking a called shot to a specific weapon location (by this point, Marissa was a good enough gunner that, under the expanded dueling rules, I had a CHANCE of pulling that off). I aimed for the ultra AC/20, fired... and hit, putting that weapon permanently out of commission so she couldn't clear the jam and fire again. Her return shot shredded a lot of armor and one medium laser, but that was all. My second shot... gauss rifle slug... center torso, possible critical... 3 criticals... engine, engine, engine.

Given the dueling rules, I now owned her mech. But I graciously decided to let her ransom it back... for an astronomical sum, of course. ;)

So the only arena duel Marissa fought that wasn't while employed by a stable she won, but took two shots to do it. And it was a situation that was blatantly set up for me to be impossible to win. :)

Marissa then shook the dust of Solaris off her feet and got the [censored] out of there, along with the rest of her lancemates...

-----

I have NEVER had a run of luck like that, before or since, with that character or any other, or in any other game. (In fact, I tend to be mildly imfamous for how low my rolls for my own characters tend to be, or during playing games like the Mechwarrior click-based game.)

:lol: Yeah... those Locust legs are spindly!

I performed exactly two DFA Attacks with that Locust. The first was on a Marauder. With aformentioned messy results.

The second time i'd learned my lesson. I hit a squad of PBI. That one was successful!!

After that the JJ were used to play frogger through large battles.