Battletech Mecha First Loves, Favourites, and just plain silly.

TheQuestionMan

Re: Battletech Mecha First Loves, Favourites, and just plain silly.

First Love: Griffin 3025. Good speed, armor, weapons load out and has jump.

Favorites: If it has a PPC of any kind, I'll play it.

Special Tactics: Win initiative advance, lose initiative fall back into cover. Jumping behind cover works wonders. Yes I know this doesn't sound to special, but it seem to works for me.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Battletech Mecha First Loves' date=' Favourites, and just plain silly.[/b'] I am sure that every Battletech Fan has a favourite Mecha and Why. So here is your chance Fan Boy (and Girls)

As I am a Battletech player (pen & paper) still today...

First Love: WarHammer! Hey! it's on the cover of the box-set! That's what you bought the game for!

Favourites: PHX, surely, but today I got a fancy with BlackJack, or the Spiders.

Just Plain SillyCharger, 5 small laser and a kick^_^, the real matter is that the other player would not sit ther waiting for you to come! (but there's some good canon variant out there)

Special Tactics: I usually stay with a standard flanking attitude. 1 sniper or 2 cover the ground, 1 strong mech to take the blunt of the enemy, 1 or 2 fast with long range

To propose a lance^_^: Dervish/BlackJack, Awesome, Spider/Hussar

ahhh I forgot there's a special tactic: came close to kick range (1 hex) then shoot something else^_^.

I noticed that usually when you're in close combat with another mech they tend to not consider the mech anymore... "hey we're not the clans! You got a kick on the leg, but it's you friend who got the PPC!":smoke:

Oh my....Battletech....well, I suppose I should share my embarassing story concerning this game. Actually, I have two, but they're both really short.

1) I love ugly mecha. My faves from 3025 (the only era to play IMHO) are Stinger, Phoenix Hawk, Crusader and Cyclops. (To be fair, I ran a lot of mercenary units with limited repair facilities, so I had to go with what was easiest to service.)

2) I am a terrible modeler. It was so bad that I intentionally took on mecha for my collection that had no parts to attach other than a hex base. I was known in the gaming circles as the guy with the "No Assembly Required Battalion." My paint schemes were attrocious as well, and I eventually repainted all of them with a reserved three-color paint scheme and the odd decal to break up the monotony...

Matt "Did-play-with-the-cardboard-standups-sometimes" Frisbee

Helicopters can be a great harassing element. You have to be careful not to get carried away' date=' and attract seriosu fire. The rotor hit tables are unforgiving. With pretty much every weapon in the game capable of destroying the rotors with one hit, and rotor destruction equalling an instant, nearly always fatal crash, the VTOL in CBT is a very fine instrument to wield.[/quote']

True, in BattleTech any vehicle is vulnerable to critical hits, helicopters especially. That's why I used mainly 5- and 10-ton helicopters rather than the bigger ones. I preferred to go for larger numbers of inexpensive vehicles, rather than smaller numbers of expensive vehicles. I would build a vehicle with enough capability to fulfill its mission, none of the fancy extras that would drive up cost, and then mass-produce them. :)

But that was years ago.

I have to say this is a easy question for me. My first love for BattleTech and the one that will never be removed is the Black Knight. Now I always do my own load out for it. I personally LOVE close combat. I don't know why but something about close in fighting seems so much more "honorable" so me. Also being the Stiener style player I am. I never use JJ in opt for all the different weapons and armor I can Have.

Lights: Puma but loaded out so he carries two clan ER PPC, flamers(so he can breathe fire), max armor and boost the speed to 5/9 I think it was. If you spce the wieght just right you have a mobile PPC boat that doesn't build heat if he shoots both PPC and runs.

Meduim: Centurian. Just sounds and Looks cool.

Heavy: BLACK KNIGHT

Assult: Pillager out of 3055. Remove the JJ and in little better weaponry. It has the most armor possible and packs two guas rifles. Also It is one of the few A. Mechs thats design was made so it could run and fire all weaponry with no Heat effects. This is my Second Fav.

SouGen.

My favorite light mech: Tarantula. Wicked mobility - though I tended to swap out the SRM 2's for a couple more med. lasers. Followed very closely by the spiders (I've got about four minis of each). Not just a name thing (though it satisfied my arachnophile tendencies to no end) - I love mechs with mobility, and I love quad mechs too - so the Tarantula was a natural choice. Plus, I think it looks cool.

Favorite medium: ProbablyBlackhawk or Blackhawk-KU off the top of my head - there might be other contenders. I love energy weapons for not having to worry about ammo (just fire all you want, as long as heat is ok) - and none had more than these two! Medium lasers/ER med lasers out the wazoo, and jumping to boot.

Favorite heavy: Tough call. None really jump out at me, though I like the look of the old Black Knight. Needs a major refit to be any good in a fight, though - at least by 2060-ish standards.

Favorite Assault: Thunder Hawk, hands down. I lean towards energy weapons in my own builds, but I have a soft spot for gauss rifles. 15 damage at stupid range? Sign me up! (wait - you say this thing has three, and max armour? Drooool...)

overall, I much prefer using fast, jump-capable light mechs - a challenge, to be sure, but I excel at hit-and-run combat in Battletech. My personal favorite munchkin build: a 30-ton quad mech that moved 10/15/10, with pulse lasers. Unhittable on the mixed forest maps - every piece of cover was just far enough apart to get the maximum movement modifier to hit. I regularly destroyed mechs 3 times my size with nary a scratch (of course, this beastie could only take 2 scratches before being reduced to a pile of rubble, but that's beside the point...)

My philosophy for homebrew mechs: Light mechs suck at being tough. Heavy/Assaults suck at being mobile. Stick with the strong points ( eg. the unfortunately named Champion).

No mention of the Timber Wolf' date=' or the Cauldron Born?[/quote']

I didn't think people were ever too pumped about the Cauldron-Born, but I know enough people that worship the Timber Wolf that it should be significantly more popular.

I can't help myself, I have to post my current favorites by tech and class...

IS1 Light: OTT-7J Ostscout, because it is heavier and better-armored than a Spider

IS1 Medium: GRF-1S Griffin, because it's the best all-purpose mech in the era

IS1 Heavy: RFL-3C Rifleman, because it can cause 20pts per round at up to 15 hexes without any heat buildup

IS1 Assault: ANH-1A Annihilator, because it can cause 40pts per round at up to 15 hexes without any heat buildup

IS2 Light: BZK-F3 Hollander, because I want a big gun if I have to play a little mech

IS2 Medium: BSW-1L Bushwacker, because it is good both defensively and offensively

IS2 Heavy: GAL-2GLS Gallowglas, because I do so love those GRs on IS mechs and good defensive characteristics

IS2 Assault: HA1-OB Hauptmann, because it has great defensive characteristics and firepower for all ranges

Clan Light: Cougar B, because if I have to pilot something this light, I want the biggest guns possible.

Clan Medium: Crimson Langur Prime, the GRF-1S of Clantech

Clan Heavy: Nova Cat B, because of ninety freakin' missiles! *WHOOSH!*

Clan Assault: Turkina B, because there is nothing more powerful in the game.

Light: Jenner –F removes the SRM and replaces with extra armor and a heat sink or two.

Medium: Wolverine, the all laser variant

Heavy: Marauder variant with large lasers and mediums. No AC or PPC. But, the humble Archer with all its LRM’s was tons of fun too. Oh, and must not forget the T-Bolt either!

Assault: Toss up… Awesome with its three PPC’s! The Charger variant with four large lasers or the Banshee 3S are all great fun. The original 3025 Pillager was fun too.

Overall my favorite was the Jenner –F

Later with Star League tech I loved the…

Light: Hussar

Medium: Crab, Komodo and Starfire

Heavy: Any Marauder variant, Gallowglas

Assault: Devastator, Pillager, Marauder II

Overall, Komodo

Clan

Light: Piranha, Puma, Cougar

Medium: Shadowcat, Nova

Heavy: Rifleman, Marauder

Assault: Masakari, Dashi, Supernova

Overall, Nova

Guest daeudi_454

First love: Wasp, Phoenix Hawk, Tomahawk (old School)

Favorites: Anything from the Japanese Battletech

Playability: Tomahawk

Fave Dirty trick....

Lots of Packrats - SRL replaced with Targeting laser :eg: Then come the Archer's LRMs

OK I’m not a big Battletech fan or player even though it was the actually my first experience with a RPG gaming group. We were playing and they gave me this big 100 ton Mech. Atlas I think was the name of it. It had long range weapons and a 2 movement I remember that.

So anyway we started the game and were placed on the edge of the game map and I ended up being the last to move. I stood still fired a weapon and got a head shot on a medium size mech being played by my hubby. It was great he failed his roll and was out of the game. The dice was good to me that night I got real good rolls. Since then that has always been my favorite.

My first and favorite was the Archer. It was the first Mech my character recieved' date=' and was still going when we finally ended that campaign all be it a lot revised.[/quote']

And you were so effective with that Archer. I loved it when we played the bad guys never knew what was going on.

Well pendelfield at the time we ended that game he had Arrow IV and we had advanced Badger Probes, so it was fun to watch the bad guys get burned. incrdbil was the GM, so you know he hated to have to watch he's enemy mech gets chewed up.

Guest daeudi_454

Fave Dirty trick....

Lots of Packrats - SRL replaced with Targeting laser :eg: Then come the Archer's LRMs

Forgive me, it's been a LOoonng time....

That should read:

Fave Dirty trick....

Lots of Packrats - Flamer replaced with TAG system :eg: Then come the Archer's LRMs

One thing that got to me when playing BattleTech was we had a player that ALWAYS held back. He could be in the biggest, most battle worthy mech on the board and he would hold back and let the rest of us take the brunt of the hits, then after we had the enemy damaged, here would come this un-damaged mech in to take the bad guys down.

Needless to say we got feed up, he did that one too many times so we all had jump capiable mechs, he didn't. We jump away and leave him to take the pounding, so when he falls we jump back in and fight like a team and save he's sorry butt. Form then on we told him, "You hold your mech back we will be the ones that trash it." Not long after that we told the chump to go and never come back.

I can't believe this but I want to play BattleTech, and I usually hate it. I like Mech Warrior, because I like RP, but after not playing BT for so long I miss the mindless violance.

I always had problems when Game Mastering/Refereeing. The group I gamed with were all high caliber ;) players. That meant that you had to rise to the challenge or be left behind as salvage.

I also had a hard time following House or Mercenary Battle Doctrine and would switch back to my own fairly quickly. We also did not play last Mech standing, but allowed the enemy to retreat from the field rather than take more damage. We also would surrend the field and retreat if we could not win our Objective.

Our battles were long drawn out affairs as each player maneuvered for advantage.

I ran Mechwarrior Hero awhile back and think I did pretty well. ;) My players used Luck Chits (aka; Edge Points) to stay alive.

Lots of fun

QM

One thing that got to me when playing BattleTech was we had a player that ALWAYS held back.

In are group we call him Ralph. The best way to get campers on your side to move is by threating them with a "get your butt out there or I'll attack you" threat. I'm sure Incrdbil remembers what I did too his combine lance when he wouldn't move up and give me some support. :snicker:

I can't believe this but I want to play BattleTech, and I usually hate it. I like Mech Warrior, because I like RP, but after not playing BT for so long I miss the mindless violance.

Come to the darkside, we have cookies.