Coastal City

Mark Rand

I remember a Champions 4E module set in a generic coastal city. Two main roads were named Navagation Highway and, I think, Loop Boulevard. Lois Kent was mayor.

Some of the main buildings were the Coastal Metro Power Compant, the Coastal City Museum of Fine Arts, and the (swank) Birdmore Hotel. There was also a nearby air force base.

The idea I had was to use it as a campaign city. Any ideas?

Re: Coastal City

Dang, your description isn't ringing a bell with me. Do you remember the name of the module?

And what sort of ideas are you looking for? :)

I don't remember the name of the module.

So far, I've given the city a beach, lighthouse, commercial harbor with truck and rail freight terminals, a major airport, a university, and at least one drawbridge.

I still haven't figured out where in the United States it is, how big it is, the layout of it, what other sports venues it has, and a lot of other stuff.

One of the few ideas I'm going to "steal" is the city map. I've put the names Hermit gave them in pencil and I'll refer to them that way until I change them.

First off, North Way is Coastal City's commercial harbor. A drawbridge connects it to Crescent. The city's lighthouse is also in Crescent.

Chinatown, Kong Town on the New Constantinople map, is home to the city's largest concentration of people and families from the Orient. It's also home to many fine Oriental restaurants and shops of various kinds.

Old City is the historic heart of town.

City Central is the city's government, financial, and business district. Many of the city's largest department stores and malls are here, too.

Marble Beach is home to the city's wealthiest people. Many businesses and attractions that are designed with them in mind are in the suburbs east of Marble Beach, as are several gated communities.

Coastal City International Airport (which has flights to Mexico and Canada) and the air force base are northwest of the city.

East of Marbel Beach are a number of recreational areas for the city's wealthy to visit. Among them are Coastal City Downs, a throughbred track, Coastal City Raceway, a dog track, Coastal City Hunt Club, a resort hotel and an upscale shopping mall.

The Coastal City Downs has a 7/8 mile turf track inside a 1 mile dirt track. The parade marshal wears English riding garb and her white Arabians wear English tack. The bugler, called a horn blower because his instrument is a coach horn, with his red tail coat and black top hat, resembles a circus ringmaster.

The Hunt Club Arena has a strict policy against Western Clothes and tack.

Northeast of the city is somewhat rural. This is also the location of Coastal City Park, a harness track, Coastal City Speedway, Coastal City Horseshow Arena and adjacent rodeo grounds, a low-cost hotel, a strip mall, the County Fairgrounds, and the Serendipity Ranch

Coastal City park features a 5/8 mile limestone-surface track that can be used in any weather. The parade marshal wears western clothes and her leopard Appaloosas wear Western tack. The burger is prerecorded and, unlike in throughbred racing, the starting gate is mobile. (Two vehicles carry the starting gate. One is a Ford F-250 pickup truck. The other is a Lincoln Town Car.) The track's other services trucks are Ford F-150s.

Coastal City Speedway has a dragstrip, a 1.25 mile oval, and a 2.1 mile road course. A Ford Mustang GT serves as the pace car. Ford F-150s serve as vehicles for the safety team.

Although the Coastal City Horseshow Arena has no regulations about apparel, the arena's general manager dresses as a working cowgirl and her mare has Western tack.

The Serendipity Ranch is a horse ranch for people with autism and other developmental disorders.

The neighborhool known as Athens, on Hermit's map, is a center of education and culture.

The Board of Education, the Coastal City Museum of Fine Arts, The University of California Coastal City (UCCC), The California State University at Coastal City (Cal State Coastal City), The Coastal City Museum of Natural History, and the Coastal City Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science are all there.

UCCC's colors are silver and brown and their mascot is the wolf. They're a division one school and part of the PAC 10 conference. Although they have a number of good teams, basketball and football are promoted more than anything else.

Cal State Coastal City's colors are white and brown and their mascot is the falcon. They're a division two team and part of the California conference. They promote all of their teams equally.

The Coastal City Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science is one of the few that still use the Zeiss projector. Their Zeiss, nicknamed George, is a Mark 4. The 2001: A Space Odyssey theme, the introduction to Richard Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra, is played whenever it rises out of the well in the room's center.

My original plan was to use Pittsburgh (or Pixburgh, as former KDKA radio morning man John Cygna called it). The city would connect to the ocean one mile downstream from the West End Bridge.

In order to turn the city's Southside and West End into a commercial harbor and truck & rail freight area, Mount Washington would have to be removed from the map and the West End, Fort Pitt, and Smithfield Street bridges would become drawbridges.

While the airport would be south of the city, Point State Park would stay where it is, as would the (renamed) convention center and (also renamed) Mellon Arena. (Cygna once claimed that McDonalds had bought the naming rights and decided to call it the Mac Arena.) The Golden Triangle (or central business district) would be bigger than it is in real life.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Dang, your description isn't ringing a bell with me. Do you remember the name of the module?

And what sort of ideas are you looking for? :)

Coastal City appeared in Nuclear Crucifiction, chapter two of Atlas Unleashed. David Rogers wrote it. It was produced, in 1989, by Iron Crown and has the number 48.

Coastal City was designed as a generic coastal city, but it's my hope to lay it out on a map of the city of Pittsburgh, after we remove the city's Mount Washington and transport the whole thing to a west-facing coast.

The following information is taken from the chapter.

The city has a bay and a main shipping channel that's lined by many factories. A ship in the module is mentioned as being near Navigation Boulevard and Loop Highway. Although it doesn't say so, I assume they intersect.

The city's freeway system is overburdened.

The city has a fine art museum, the Birdmore Hotel (which is described as being at least 10-stories tall, swank, filled with shiny brass and chandeliers, having large cages filled with tropical birds in the lobby, and a fountain with statues of swans outside), and a power company.

Wayne Air Force Base, Wayne Air Field (which might be the same thing), and a nearby NASA telemetry station are outsider the city. Old Military Road connects the air force base to the city. A cheap motel is halfway between the base and the city.

Coastal City appeared in Nuclear Crucifiction' date='[/i'] chapter two of Atlas Unleashed. David Rogers wrote it. It was produced, in 1989, by Iron Crown and has the number 48.

Wow. No offense, but that's a rather obscure reference. I looked up Atlas Unleashed, and in that adventure "Coastal City" was just a generic placeholder name for an urban port of the GM's choice.There were very few specific details given for it, and no maps at all.

So, can I assume your Coastal City includes Coastal Metro Power Company, Wayne Air Force Base, and the Birdmore Hotel? ;)

Wow. No offense' date=' but that's a rather obscure reference. I looked up [i']Atlas Unleashed[/i], and in that adventure "Coastal City" was just a generic placeholder name for an urban port of the GM's choice.There were very few specific details given for it, and no maps at all.

So, can I assume your Coastal City includes Coastal Metro Power Company, Wayne Air Force Base, and the Birdmore Hotel? ;)

Yes. It might be a placeholder name in my campaign, too. On the other hand, DC Comics did have Coast City.

Navigation Boulevard and Loop Highway would meet where Route 837 and Route 51 (which is also Truck U.S. 19) cross. At that point, they are, respectively, West Carson Street and Saw Mill Run Boulevard. The bridge the Loop Highway crosses, in real life, the West End Bridge, becomes a drawbridge over the main shipping channel (aka the Ohio River).

The swank Birdmore Hotel is where the Omni William Penn, a four-star hotel, currently is.

The Coastal Metro Power Company has some of its generators on Bay Island, a 129-acre Island just upstream from the bay. In real life, it's Brunot's Island, which has some of Duquesne Light's generating plants. The only land access to it is a railroad bridge that has a walkway on one side.

Wow. No offense' date=' but that's a rather obscure reference. I looked up [i']Atlas Unleashed[/i], and in that adventure "Coastal City" was just a generic placeholder name for an urban port of the GM's choice.There were very few specific details given for it, and no maps at all.

It just occurs to me that Coastal City could a placeholder name for San Angelo.