No Mass Change

Blue

Re: No Mass Change

Originally posted by Blue

If a character took shrinking but they wanted it so that their mass did not change, would this be an advantage, a limitation, or neither?

its a linked Density Increase, i think.

there was a character like that in Champions of the North IIRC.

something like

20 Shrinking (2 levels)

(at min size mass is divided by 64)

Act cost: 20

Real cost: 20

Density Increase (6 levels : to increase the mass 64 times)

Linked w/Shrinking: -1/4 (other power is constant)

No STR increase: -1/2

Act cost: 30

Real cost: 17 pts

the rule for "linked" says the linked power should be used proportionally to the power whom it's linked to. But i would not personally find too abusive to add a -1/4 (or -0) limitation "only to keep personal mass constant"

I think I'm going to make it simple. Limited Power: No Mass Change (-0). The character is not gaining any discernable benefit or limit from it. Tying in DI would give the character other benefits that are inappropriate to the power being constructed.

Thanks for the help.

I think I'm going to make it simple. Limited Power: No Mass Change (-0). The character is not gaining any discernable benefit or bonus from it.

The character is getting a benefit because Shrinking makes the character get knocked back farther. You are giving Knockback Resistance for free. You are taking away a disadvantage of the power for not cost to the character.

If I were removing the -3" KB this would be the case. I haven't. The only thing NOT changing is the mass of the character.

Ok, but you do realize the reason for the KB increase in Shrinking is the fact that the character is only 1/8 mass? It is not there because the character is smaller. It is there because the character is lighter.

Monolith is right, but he has to take it another step.

From what I understand of physics, Shrinking should not be tied to Increased Knockback. As a GM, for me, Knockback ties into Density. For example -

A 45 lb weight is harder to knockback than a 45 pound balloon.

If you leave the Mass the same for a character with less Volume (shrinking), then you increase their Density. They get even harder to knock back.

Remember, peeps, D = M/V

-cK

I'm sure no one will like my ruling except for me, but:

I'm declaring the character more... shall we say... aerodynamic. With this particular power, due to it's special effect it didn't make sense to have the character actually lose mass. Knockback was definitely arguable. But the fact is, once you've removed KB from the equation then the only change that has taken place with shrinking is the DCV and the physical space you occupy, and that wasn't enough to keep the power interesting.

I did two alternate ways of the power without shrinking involved, but this just seemed neater.

That comes out as a rather odd argument. It's like saying that if you remove the ability to do damage being able to fire an energy blast from your eyes isn't that cool anymore.

There are a lot of advantages to just shrinking alone. Though some become troublesome if you keep the same mass.

no no Not Tossing...punting. I even built the ability using the 4th edition UMA rules. That plus 2 levels with all combat and 3 with kicking things means he has a good chance to hit most shrinkers who have 4 levels. I've considered buying double knockback on the punt maneuver....though the 8-15 hexes I usually kick them is plenty funny for me.

See the problem is my GM for this campaign built three different shrinker villians...one of them ended up being my mystery hunted. So I responded by giving him a very good reason not to like me.