Taser Cam

bigdamnhero

Saw an ad yesterday that Taser International now offers video camera attachments for Tasers. A great idea in RL, as a defense against the ubiquitous "I was just sitting there minding my own business when the mean officer zapped me for no reason" claims. (As well as increasing accountability if an officer does misuse one.) Anyway I got bored, so gamer-geek that I am I had to write it up (based on the Taser example on p262 of DC):

TASER Cam: (Total: 90 Active Cost, 28 Real Cost)

Incapacitate: Energy Blast 8d6, No Normal Defense (insulated ED; +1) (80 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Limited Range (4"; -1/4) (Real Cost: 23) plus

Record: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Video (B&W) and Audio Only (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus

Low-Light: Nightvision (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); Linked (Video Camera; -1/2) (Real Cost: 3)

Although as long as we're on the subject, I've never been terribly happy with DC's take on Tasers anyway. While I have never shot or been shot with one, I have seen demos and talked to people on both ends of the wire; Tasers don't really knock people unconscious, they incapacitate them. So I think it works better as an Entangle, Based on CON rather than STR (which we figured was a +0 Advantage in our last campaign, but obviously could be worth much more in some games).

TASER Cam (Alt): (Total: 70 Active Cost, 18 Real Cost)

Incapacitate: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Based on CON (+0), Takes No Damage From Attacks (All Attacks, +1/2) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF (-1), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4), Conditional Power Blocked by fully-insulated armor (-1/4), Limited Range (4"; -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; Must maintain wire contact for duration of Entangle; -1/4) plus

Record: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Video (B&W) and Audio Only (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus

Low-Light: Nightvision (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); Linked (Video Camera; -1/2) (Real Cost: 3)

Any thoughts?

Re: Taser Cam

Although as long as we're on the subject, I've never been terribly happy with DC's take on Tasers anyway. While I have never shot or been shot with one, I have seen demos and talked to people on both ends of the wire; Tasers don't really knock people unconscious, they incapacitate them. So I think it works better as an Entangle, Based on CON rather than STR (which we figured was a +0 Advantage in our last campaign, but obviously could be worth much more in some games).

Any thoughts?

I've never been shot with one either. But a friend of mine has. He works as a guard in the local jail (he's also a martial artist, runs/trains the CERT team, etc.). He's a big believer in first-hand knowledge, so he volunteered to be shot with a taser during training.

He said it hurts worse than anything else he's ever experienced--and that's a lot. The taser cycles for 5 seconds. He figured to count the five seconds. It was more like 12345678910111213141516.... cause when it hurts that much five seconds feels like forever.

And you're right, you're not unconscious--just incapacitated. Assuming you're a normal person. Naked Sweaty Guy* may well ignore the effects, or do an electric boogaloo for five seconds--then try his damnedest to kill you again. Every time you zap him.

*Naked Sweaty Guy: occasionally, due to drugs or alcohol or mental illness (or some combination thereof), guys--it's almost always guys--just go berserk. Their body temperature spikes (and they typically strip their clothes off because they feel so overheated--hence naked and sweaty), they become completely bonkers and they often ignore pain or injury beyond all sane limits, though they may collapse and die later on (possibly just from the stress, not because of anything done to them). These are by far the most dangerous guys they have to deal with

It's definately an Entangle.

A friend of mine tasered a guy that tried to grab me from behind. The wires brushed my left arm. I got about 1/4 dose for about 2 seconds (dose estimate from cops later, time according to my friend). Felt like 6-8 seconds. Couldn't use my left arm for minutes afterward. Barely able to force my legs to push me to the side. Right then, I wished it had knocked me out, it hurt that bad.

Oh, and I like the idea of L. A. instead of I. R. :thumbup:

I'd change the IR on the nightvision to actual Nightvision.

You're right, NV works better. Change made, thanks. (The ad said IR, so I just threw IR in without thinking if it was the effect I wanted. Bad BDH! Reason From Effect!)

IThe taser cycles for 5 seconds.

Which begs another question: in game terms, what happens after the 5-second cycle is up? Obviously the Entangle doesn't disappear altogether, as that would make the power all-but useless in game terms? Or does it start to fade after 5 Segments? Or target needs to make an EGO roll at minus-something to take any actions? Or is it really a PRE Attack or even Mind Control to "convince" the target to stop fighting? :think:

And you're right' date=' you're not unconscious--just incapacitated. Assuming you're a normal person. Naked Sweaty Guy* may well ignore the effects, or do an electric boogaloo for five seconds--then try his damnedest to kill you again. Every time you zap him.[/quote']

Extra CON, only for purposes of breaking out of Taser Entangles, Visible (sweaty), Only when Enraged/Berserk? :D

A friend of mine tasered a guy that tried to grab me from behind. The wires brushed my left arm. I got about 1/4 dose for about 2 seconds (dose estimate from cops later' date=' time according to my friend). Felt like 6-8 seconds. Couldn't use my left arm for minutes afterward. Barely able to force my legs to push me to the side. Right then, I wished it [b']had[/b] knocked me out, it hurt that bad.

I considered making the Entangle Sticky, but wasn't sure.

Here's a thought, Link and Uncontrolled STUN Drain (doesn't have to be a big one) to the Taser Entangle. The Entangle automatically stops after 5 Segments, as does the STUN Drain. Some people will be unconcious, some not, but most should be a bit dazed to say the least.

I considered making the Entangle Sticky' date=' but wasn't sure.[/quote']

I don't think it was Sticky (as to how I understand Sticky). More an accidental 2-shot Autofire, each shot to different targets. As the cop said, if I hadn't been wearing a coat, and the wires touched skin, I'd've been down like the guy trying to grab me.

Maybe that's a AoE Line Side Effect?

Oh no, I'm thinking the RealWorld™ runs by Hero rules! I've been assimilated!! :shock:

Here's a thought' date=' Link and Uncontrolled STUN Drain (doesn't have to be a big one) to the Taser Entangle. The Entangle automatically stops after 5 Segments, as does the STUN Drain. Some people will be unconcious, some not, but most should be a bit dazed to say the least.[/quote']

I like linking in a STUN Drain. Not sure I see the point of making it Uncontrolled, tho. Drain is already Instant, and the Entangle will only last a phase or two anyway.

I don't think it was Sticky (as to how I understand Sticky). More an accidental 2-shot Autofire, each shot to different targets. As the cop said, if I hadn't been wearing a coat, and the wires touched skin, I'd've been down like the guy trying to grab me.

Maybe that's a AoE Line Side Effect?

Well, Side Effects typically affect the user, not another target. But you're right that it's not really Sticky either, because you touched the wires, not the target himself. And now that I think about it, I've seen other people holding someone while they get tasered (to keep them from falling and hurting themselves). Hmm...probably just handwave this under sfx.

Oh no' date=' I'm thinking the RealWorld™ runs by Hero rules! I've been assimilated!! :shock:[/quote']

Welcome to the collective! :celebrate

Saw an ad yesterday that Taser International now offers video camera attachments for Tasers. A great idea in RL' date=' as a defense against the ubiquitous [i']"I was just sitting there minding my own business when the mean officer zapped me for no reason"[/i] claims. (As well as increasing accountability if an officer does misuse one.) Anyway I got bored, so gamer-geek that I am I had to write it up (based on the Taser example on p262 of DC)

Howdy!

This is going to be just soooo useful for something I'm fixing to do!

:thumbup:Repped!:thumbup:

I like linking in a STUN Drain. Not sure I see the point of making it Uncontrolled' date=' tho. Drain is already Instant, and the Entangle will only last a phase or two anyway. [/quote']

The uncontrolled was so the STUN Drain goes off every phase that the Entangle is in effect, because Entangle is also an instant the Drain would only go off when the Entangle is initially fired and not afterwards as a continuously as the Entangle continues to act.

I'm assuming the Entangle lasts as long as electricity is being pumped down the wires? I've never been shot with, or shot someone with, a taser so don't know if the charge continues for several seconds or just ends upon initial discharge. . .

The uncontrolled was so the STUN Drain goes off every phase that the Entangle is in effect, because Entangle is also an instant the Drain would only go off when the Entangle is initially fired and not afterwards as a continuously as the Entangle continues to act.

I'm assuming the Entangle lasts as long as electricity is being pumped down the wires? I've never been shot with, or shot someone with, a taser so don't know if the charge continues for several seconds or just ends upon initial discharge. . .

What about a CON drain? What happens at zero or negative CON. Don't you have to make a roll just to have energy to act? Drugs, adrenalyn, psychosis can all act like temporary CON boost that can overcome the drain.

I don't have my book around... what are the effects of a drained CON?

I'm assuming the Entangle lasts as long as electricity is being pumped down the wires?

I think it only lasts for the 5-second cycle. Does anyone with actual experience know if you can keep pumping juice into someone?

I don't have my book around... what are the effects of a drained CON?

5ER, p37:
"At CON 0 or below, a character must succeed with a CON Roll to expend END in any way. Any Action that costs END requires a CON Roll, with seperate rolls for each Action if the character performs multiple Actions in a Phase."

That could be a good way of handling it, assuming you take a fairly broad interpretation of what "any Action that costs END" means in this context.