Monster Slayers Archtypes

JmOz

Re: Monster Slayers Archtypes

The only thing I can say is are you trying to list some various types for research? I mean they come in a lot of different packages.

You got your Hercules, son of a god carrying out chores.

Buffy would be a chosen one/gifted for being picked for the job.

Ghostbusters stands out as the scientist that chases things that go bump in the night.

Silver John as a wanderer that knows things and uses that to help those around him.

Devilman, the Guyver, or Blade are monsters who fight other monsters.

That's just off the top of my head.

CES

The only thing I can say is are you trying to list some various types for research? I mean they come in a lot of different packages.

You got your Hercules, son of a god carrying out chores.

Buffy would be a chosen one/gifted for being picked for the job.

Ghostbusters stands out as the scientist that chases things that go bump in the night.

Silver John as a wanderer that knows things and uses that to help those around him.

Devilman, the Guyver, or Blade are monsters who fight other monsters.

That's just off the top of my head.

CES

And a good start, so we have, and I hope you will forgive me for renaming:

Chosen one: Gifted with special abilities that enables them to fight monsters (Ex Buffy & Hercules)

Accademic: Brings knowledge to the team, probably the most book smart but not the greatest combatant (Ghostbusters, especialy Ray and Igon, Giles from Buffy)

Wander: never stops in one place for long, comes in cleans up town and leaves

Monster with a heart: While physicaly a monster he is on the side of the angels, be it because the fights are more fun, love of one of the other monster hunters, because they have somehow retained or regained there soul, they provide alot of the mussle.

And yes this is in part because I am planning on starting a weird hybrid game that includes the Military, Martial Arts, Monster/Conspiracy Hunter genres withtrue Dark Champions (more hudson city Powers type campeign as they are called these days)...

Anime is crammed with monster hunters... there's:

The Magical Girl (Devil Hunter Yohko)

The Police Officer (Silent Mobius)

The Samurai (can't think of an exact examples)

The Priest [shinto, Buddhist, even Christian] (Phantom Quest Corp)

The Priestess [usually Shinto] (Silent Mobius)

Shinobi/Ninja

Sorcerer/ess (Shot Sweeper Mikami, Silent Mobius, Phantom Quest Corp)

Monster (Hellsing)

And here's some more specific examples:

Magicians

Ayaka Kisaragi (enchanted sword) - Phantom Quest Corp.

Egg Shen (various forms of Chinese sorcery) - Big Trouble in Little China

Katsumi Liqueur (hermetic magician) - Silent Mobius

Mana Isozaki (Bukkyo or Buddhist magic) - Silent Mobius

Nami Yamigumo (Shinto magic, enchanted dagger and sword) - Silent Mobius

Swordsmen Zen (Taoist magic) - A Chinese Ghost Story

Supernatural Monster Hunters

Anita Blake - Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter (series)

Ayaka Kisaragi - Phantom Quest Corp.

Buffy - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Mikami - Ghost Sweeper Mikami

Swordsmen Zen - A Chinese Ghost Story

Yohko Mano - Devil Hunter Yohko

Supernatural Monsters

Angel (vampire) - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Okinu (ghost) - Ghost Sweeper Mikami

Shek Chi-Wai (ghost) - Planetary

More Supernatural Monsters

Alucard and Seras Victoria (Hellsing), D (Vampire Hunter D), Hsien-ko (Darkstalkers), Jean Jaquemonde (Striker), Miyu (Vampire Princess Miyu), Okinu (Ghost Sweeper Mikami), Rally Cheyenne (Silent Mobius), Yakumo Fuji (3x3 Eyes), Zenki (Zenki)

More Supernatural Monster Hunters

Alucard and Seras Victoria (Hellsing), Ayaka Kisaragi (Phantom Quest Corp), D (Vampire Hunter D), Eiko Rando, Maki Umezaki, Takami Sakuragi, Yoichi Taba, Yu Himehagi, and Yuka Kikushima (Geobreeders), Katsumi Liqueur, Kiddy Phenil, Lebia Mavelick, Lum Cheng, Mana Isozaki, Nami Yamigumo, Rally Cheyenne, and Yuki Saiko (Silent Mobius), Ling Ling Li (3x3 Eyes), Mikami (Ghost Sweeper Mikami), Miyu (Vampire Princess Miyu), Yohko Manno (Devil Hunter Yohko)

More Supernatural Monsters

Alucard and Seras Victoria (Hellsing), D (Vampire Hunter D), Hsien-ko (Darkstalkers), Jean Jaquemonde (Striker), Miyu (Vampire Princess Miyu), Okinu (Ghost Sweeper Mikami), Rally Cheyenne (Silent Mobius), Yakumo Fuji (3x3 Eyes), Zenki (Zenki)

Oh, and for the record:

Alucard, D, Miyu, and Seras Victoria -- vampires.

Hsien-ko, Okinu -- ghosts.

Jean Jaquemonde -- werewolf.

Rally Cheyenne -- half-"demon"

Yakumo Fuji -- has no soul and cannot die/be killed.

Zenki -- demon.

Final note -- Supernatural Monster Hunter is one of my favorite anime/manga genres. A short list of related titles:

Devil Hunter Yohko

Hyper Police

Geobreeders

Silent Mobius

Hellsing

3x3 Eyes

Ghost Sweeper Mikami

Phantom Quest Corp.

Bleach

There are many more, some of which I only know of vaguely.

On the American side, I must mention the following two series:

Hellboy

B.P.R.D.

There's also a range of psychics like Poltergeist: the Legacy, special cops like Special Unit 2 and MIB, and bounty hunters like Bloodstone.

Is this going to be wide open with everything but the kitchen sink, or something narrowly focused?

CES

Wider than narrow, but not wide open. Characters are going to start off at a military martial arts competition, so all should be somewhat competent in the martial arts & be in the military. Basicaly after the first adventure they will be being drafted into a group that hunts the super natural, but the players don't know that yet. Characters are going to start off as 75+75 and become 150+100 point characters after the first sesssion (with me adding the other 75+25 points)

NCM will not be permitted

Wider than narrow, but not wide open. Characters are going to start off at a military martial arts competition, so all should be somewhat competent in the martial arts & be in the military. Basicaly after the first adventure they will be being drafted into a group that hunts the super natural, but the players don't know that yet. Characters are going to start off as 75+75 and become 150+100 point characters after the first sesssion (with me adding the other 75+25 points)

NCM will not be permitted

MIB, Bureau 13, SU2, and a couple that Mike mentioned would fit that premise. After all they are all police departments that deal with unusual situations.

The Legacy is a private foundation that does recruit military to protect people.

Ghostbusters could also fit. Winston was an ex-SEAL I believe.

CES

MIB, Bureau 13, SU2, and a couple that Mike mentioned would fit that premise. After all they are all police departments that deal with unusual situations.

The Legacy is a private foundation that does recruit military to protect people.

CES

Hmm...Winston definitely had military experience, but I don't believe he was quite at the level of a Navy SEAL:

Ray Stantz:

"Very impressive resume. Electronic countermeasures, Strategic Air Command ...

Black belt in Karate ... Small arms expert ... Mr. Zeddemore, as you may have

heard, we locate ghosts and spirits, trap them with streams of concentrated

quantum energy and remove them from people's homes, offices and places

of worship."

- Vassoom

CES

I tend not to actualy use something strait from other sources, but watch and take notes of elements I like to use. I'm not familiar with SU2, and I know I've heard of Bureau 13, but can't remember where

As for Ghostbusters, maybe for the tech boys...

Hmm...Winston definitely had military experience, but I don't believe he was quite at the level of a Navy SEAL:

- Vassoom

In the book, he was home after getting out, living with his mom, looking for a job when he sees the ad in the paper with a list of necessary qualifications.

But a book based on a movie is usually different from what appears on screen.

CES

I tend not to actualy use something strait from other sources, but watch and take notes of elements I like to use. I'm not familiar with SU2, and I know I've heard of Bureau 13, but can't remember where

As for Ghostbusters, maybe for the tech boys...

Special Unit 2 was a tv show where cops track down monsters. It was on UPN for like a month.

B-13 was a tri tac setting turned into adventure books by Nick Pollota. A special unit of the FBI protects the country, but is so secret no one knows they exist.

CES

I know what Normal Characteristic Maxima is' date=' I'm just not good with the anachronisms. =)[/quote']

Uhm... I think you mean acronyms.

(unless you were joking, in which case, carry on)