Monster Slayers Archtypes

JmOz

Re: Monster Slayers Archtypes

I know I've heard of Bureau 13' date=' but can't remember where[/quote']

If you're a Babylon 5 fan, Bureau 13 was also mentioned in the Season 2 episode A Spider In The Web. After the episode aired, someone told JMS about the RPG reference, so he dropped any further references to it.

Got a question for you all:

What points would you suggest for a Monster HUnter type campeign? I know it will probably be heroic scale but not sure what level of heroic (150, 200, 250).

I used 200+100 and am currently in a 100+100 game.

Got a question for you all:

What points would you suggest for a Monster HUnter type campeign? I know it will probably be heroic scale but not sure what level of heroic (150, 200, 250).

A Buffy+ or Angel Investigations game where all characters had powers at some level would be 150+100 or 100+100. I'd personally go for something around there, if your monster write ups are coming out of the Bestiaries and you're not handing out high power equipment. Many of the protagonists from those series would need 350+ points for a full write up.

Kolchak level where characters are built on 50+50 would be OK for a more horror oriented game. Characters would need to run away a lot, an as the GM you'd need to be sure to provide an easy to spot weakness to each monster.

Originaly I had planned on 150' date=' but one of my players pointed out that being in the military PLUS the cost of being a MA, made for tight character creation... thinking about increasing it because...[/quote']

I dunno. You could just define downwards what it means to be in the Military. I knew a Navy Seal who went through vast amounts of training, qualified, served, and a few years later appeared to have retained nothing but a few martial maneuvers and PS:Borderline Psychotic, 11-.

Going for a more Angel/Buffy level with the idea that while they will kill alot of monsters some of it should be from good prep work (Ohh we're fighting a Werewolf, go into the armory grab some silver-blades)

Going for a more Angel/Buffy level with the idea that while they will kill alot of monsters some of it should be from good prep work (Ohh we're fighting a Werewolf' date=' go into the armory grab some silver-blades)[/quote']

Well, you can do a very reasonable Gun, Giles, Fred or Wes on 150 points, and probably a weak Buffy or pre-radiation accident WIllow (early Willow could be done on 50 points). A really good Buffy or Angel tribute would be tough to do on less than 250 points.

Two non-Hero sourcebooks I have found very valuable as resources are GURPS BlackOps and GURPS Cabal.

BlackOps describes an agency, similar to MIB, but very skill heavy and militaristic. Lots of good background for military and monster-hunting/slaying.

Cabal describes the bad guys and is a very good source of an organized supernatural agency.

Two non-Hero sourcebooks I have found very valuable as resources are GURPS BlackOps and GURPS Cabal.

BlackOps describes an agency, similar to MIB, but very skill heavy and militaristic. Lots of good background for military and monster-hunting/slaying.

Cabal describes the bad guys and is a very good source of an organized supernatural agency.

My favorite GURPS campaign used those two books, along with GURPS Voodoo, as primary source material. Great stuff. :)

Interestingly, they went for 800 point characters (with build limits in place as most points were sucked up by package deals) in Black Ops, which was quite high for GURPS. In HERO, a quick and dirty equivelent would be to give the players 400 points and then tell them that they had to take two complete package deals from Dark Champions, and could spend any remaining ponts on characteristics (campaign limits still in force), skills, perks, and Dark Champions or Pulp Hero Super Skills only.

My favorite GURPS campaign used those two books, along with GURPS Voodoo, as primary source material. Great stuff. :)

Interestingly, they went for 800 point characters (with build limits in place as most points were sucked up by package deals) in Black Ops, which was quite high for GURPS. In HERO, a quick and dirty equivelent would be to give the players 400 points and then tell them that they had to take two complete package deals from Dark Champions, and could spend any remaining ponts on characteristics (campaign limits still in force), skills, perks, and Dark Champions or Pulp Hero Super Skills only.

Do you feel that the package deals in DC are overdone, as well...

Do you feel that the package deals in DC are overdone' date=' as well...[/quote']

Some of them. But then, I tend to think that most cops I've known get by on PS:Cop, TF:Car, and maybe WF:Pistol.

One of the co-authors of Black Ops had an alternative build on his web site that was something like 140pnts:Universal Skill, and a suggestion to fine tune from there.

I dunno. You could just define downwards what it means to be in the Military. I knew a Navy Seal who went through vast amounts of training' date=' qualified, served, and a few years later appeared to have retained nothing but a few martial maneuvers and PS:Borderline Psychotic, 11-.[/quote']

Yeah, that's an important point. An active Special Forces soldier probably has quite a few points in some interesting skills, but if he's been a civillian for a while, he probably won't still have all those abilities at the same levels. Hero doesn't have any formal rules for "skill fade" but doesn't mean we should assume it doesn't happen.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary crossing - both ways

The disbeliever who never admits the supernatural exists and has a scientific explaination for everything.

In my little corner of the world we call that a Scully

Whether or not you like World of Darkness,

Guide to the Technocracy and Vampire the Masquerade do good job of seeing showing you the monsters from the insider's point of view and you can find a conversion for WoD here.

Ooo! Got a couple more.

The Friend: He's not happy with this monster-hunting shtuff, and he may not be very good at it (or perhaps he's very good at it), but that doesn't stop him. His friend(s) is/are in trouble, and he isn't going to let him/them face danger alone. (I'm thinking of that cartoon-like "Amurican" in Dracula; he was one of the useful sort).

The Hireling: This guy's only fighting monsters because he's paid. He might be looking for another job, and/or whining about this jub, or he may be so glad to have any job he's hanging onto it with both hands, both feet, and all his teeth. (I'm thinking Winston Zeddemore from Ghostbusters). This type should not be confused with the Red Shirt, who's an NPC only there to die messily to impress the players with how dangerous things are. ;)

Ooo! Got a couple more.

The Friend: He's not happy with this monster-hunting shtuff, and he may not be very good at it (or perhaps he's very good at it), but that doesn't stop him. His friend(s) is/are in trouble, and he isn't going to let him/them face danger alone. (I'm thinking of that cartoon-like "Amurican" in Dracula; he was one of the useful sort).

Good one. This also sounds a lot like Xander from Buffy. Unlike most of the others characters, he always seemed completely outclassed by the monsters, but that rarely put a dent in his desire to try and help out.

- Vassoom

One more! ("Sheesh, doesn't she ever stop?")

The Nut: This guy has had his head really messed up by everything he's seen/done/suffered, but somehow keeps on going. He's not gonna let mere monsters and sanity-eating gods stop him!

He's usually used in a "nobody believes in monsters" campaign (the first to clue in the PCs that there are monsters), but has a place in a campaign where the PC's already know the monsters are real. Frex, he may have more knowledge about the monsters than the standard sources.