Damage Over Time (and Other Type Hits!)

MorpheousXO

Ok, what I'm trying to figure out a way to do is your typical fire and forget damage over time. I can't seem to find a way to do it so that you cast the spell and only pay END to cast it, not maintain it. Lingering almost does it, but you have to pay END each time you use it (plus more attack rolls and whatnot). Continuous with No END almost does it, but then you wouldn't spend END to activate it... you can see my delema. Thanks for your input!

Re: Damage Over Time (and Other Type Hits!)

Continuous with a dedicated END reserve. You fire it off and then it keeps going til the END reserve runs out. If you build it as a compound power the END reserve appears each time you fire the power and you only have to pay END the one time when you cast it.

Oh my goodness, that is quite good!

I just discovered to my chagrin Costs END Only to Activate, but that didn't solve my problem of there being a limited ammount of time that is lasts, but this works quite well!

To make it work do I Link the END Reserve (without a REC obviously) to the DoT, or do I get really creative and make the REC equal to the Reserve but put a limitation on the REC saying it can only Recover the once the reserve is empty?

Still rather new to making up my own powers and such, so I'm still not entirely clear on Compound Powers and such.

True. Gradual Effect is probably best reserved for damage over out-of-combat time, like with some poisons or drugs. I poke you with a small needle, and hours later, something happens to you.

Continuing Charges or Continuous & Uncontrolled are better for during-combat-time. I set you on fire and you go, "ow, hot, ow hot, ow hot,..." until you die or jump in the lake.

BTW, as a house rule, I do not require the Advantage Continuous on a power bought with Continuing Charges. It's already paid for by the increased cost of the Charges. IMO, buying Continuous and Continuing Charges is paying twice for the same effect.

Strictly speaking, I'd tend to go with Hugh on this: buy it as a small Side Effect on a 0 END Power, so that you spend the usual END cost on it every time it is used. This is a -0 Limitation, since it does pre-defined "damage". Just have the END lost be what it would normally cost and be recovered normally. It's -0, after all.

I don't see anything wrong with Costs END Only To Start, though I'm not sure it's "by-the-book". It seems balanced enough, especially if it doesn't last too long or is easy to turn off. The conditions for ending the Uncontrolled would be "When X does Y or Z amount of time passes".

Strictly speaking' date=' I'd tend to go with Hugh on this: buy it as a small Side Effect on a 0 END Power, so that you spend the usual END cost on it every time it is used. This is a -0 Limitation, since it does pre-defined "damage". Just have the END lost be what it would normally cost and be recovered normally. It's -0, after all.[/quote']

How is this different from Uncontrolled save that its taken as a Lim rather than an Advantage?

I don't see anything wrong with Costs END Only To Start, though I'm not sure it's "by-the-book". It seems balanced enough, especially if it doesn't last too long or is easy to turn off. The conditions for ending the Uncontrolled would be "When X does Y or Z amount of time passes".

Actually Costs END Only To Activate is a +1/4 Advantage that can be applied (as of 5ER) to any Constant Power that Costs END. Conversely Costs END Only To Activate is a -1/4 Limitation that can be taken on any Constant Power that normally does not cost END to activate.

How is this different from Uncontrolled save that its taken as a Lim rather than an Advantage?

I don't understand: it's not different from Uncontrolled, in fact the build I suggested took Uncontrolled. In any event, if Costs END Only To Start is a valid Advantage for an attack taken as Constant, then it's irrelevent since that's the way I'd build it.

It feels funny, though, taking that Advantage on something that is hurting someone.

I don't understand: it's not different from Uncontrolled, in fact the build I suggested took Uncontrolled. In any event, if Costs END Only To Start is a valid Advantage for an attack taken as Constant, then it's irrelevent since that's the way I'd build it.

It feels funny, though, taking that Advantage on something that is hurting someone.

If its not different than Uncontrolled then why put it on there at all?

That's what Uncontrolled does -- you dump X amount of END into the Power when you start it, and it runs until it expends all of that END.

The benefit to Uncontrolled is its a way to "Fire & Forget"; your character could even die and the Uncontrolled Power will continue to run.

If you must pay END each Phase to maintain a Power then you don't need Uncontrolled at all; thats how Constant Powers already work.

I don't see what the purpose is of the Side Effect you are recommending.

I'd go with Continuous Charges, Uncontrolled, and Costs END to Activate.

The only limit on the spell would be the number of times it can be used per day or recharge or study period or whatever. But in a Fantasy campaign, that's a good thing.