Weapon Designs -- opinions wanted

Susano

Re: Weapon Designs -- opinions wanted

That's the idea. Instead of giving AF 20 and wasting a lot of Charges, I give it AF 10 and RP. Each autofire hit is actually 2 rounds striking home.

I took this a step farther in my Freedom Patrol Game. I made the mini-guns a single-shot RKA with AF Line with the FX being "storm of bullets." I tacked on AP and and some OCV levels to simulate AP and tracer rounds. The damage was intended to simulate the likelyhood of multiple hits. I don't have it handy, but I think I decided on 4d6+1.They could theoretically "spread" the attack to simulate spraying back and forth a little bit. It worked pretty well. I only had to make one roll, and players were inspired to dive for cover if they couldn't take it. At the same time, I did allow the group's big brick to act like a wall in those circumstances and soak the fire so that the player could feel manly with his character's genre-appropriate burliness.

I took this a step farther in my Freedom Patrol Game. I made the mini-guns a single-shot RKA with AF Line with the FX being "storm of bullets." I tacked on AP and and some OCV levels to simulate AP and tracer rounds. The damage was intended to simulate the likelyhood of multiple hits. I don't have it handy' date=' but I think I decided on 4d6+1.They could theoretically "spread" the attack to simulate spraying back and forth a little bit. It worked pretty well. I only had to make one roll, and players were inspired to dive for cover if they couldn't take it. At the same time, I did allow the group's big brick to act like a wall in those circumstances and soak the fire so that the player could feel manly with his character's genre-appropriate burliness.[/quote']

That works as well. I saw someone suggest this approach for the weapons seen in War with the Chtorr. There's a needle rifle at has AF40, IIRC. Someone said to make the AF round 10, but up the damage, to simulate large "group" hits.

I took this a step farther in my Freedom Patrol Game. I made the mini-guns a single-shot RKA with AF Line with the FX being "storm of bullets."

Excuse me but is "AF Line" a typo for "AE Line"? That is, "Area of Effect, Line"?

Or do you mean an Autofire, with Area of Effect, Line, too?

Cause if the second, it's gonna get expensive. :eek:

Excuse me but is "AF Line" a typo for "AE Line"? That is' date=' "[b']A[/b]rea of Effect, Line"?

Thats exactly how I've done a Reason style minigum write up before...

Non Selective AOE Line, 10 shot autofire

Generally we've discussed it and more or less decided that an AOE attack that also makes a normal attack roll doesn't have to pay the extra premium on the AF.

Howzabout adding a linked AOE ranged Tunneling to simulate the "It breaks or destroys everything its bullets can hurt" effect?

Excuse me but is "AF Line" a typo for "AE Line"? That is' date=' "[b']A[/b]rea of Effect, Line"?

AE - mistype.

But I'm the GM. I have all the points I'll ever need... :eg:

The AWP is just a heavy caliber sniper rifle. In counter-strike its frustrating because typically you can kill someone by hitting them ANYWHERE, including a hand, tip of a foot, etc... and you die. A lot of servers ban it because its ridiculous, it bypasses armor, etc.

Double barrel supershotgun rocked... if I remember right, there was a regular and a super that did more damage. =) LOVED that gun.

I wasn't arguing for realistic play, Susano, just trying to point out that you weren't going for realism. FPS Hero is certainly something some people might really enjoy. =)

I've actually used the AWP on several (maybe a dozen) occasions to hit two targets at once. They lined up just right and click-they both died in a multikill.

FPS hero? Sounds interesting. I'll be interested in how anybody tries to make the combat much, much, much, much faster. I already do the majority of speed chart quickening ideas, however the combat is still slower than many games-of course taking the same skill level of players in both games-have to compare apples to apples y'know. ;)

In the dungeon crawl type games I've run that's always been the sticking point-a game that revolves around combat must have fast, fast, fast (faster than that) combat.

I'll be looking for it when it hits the board. :D

FPS hero? Sounds interesting. I'll be interested in how anybody tries to make the combat much, much, much, much faster. I already do the majority of speed chart quickening ideas, however the combat is still slower than many games-of course taking the same skill level of players in both games-have to compare apples to apples y'know. ;)

I'm currently embroiled in Turok:Evolution on my PS2, so I have some immediate game-to-boards thoughts on the matter...

I'm thinking that noting what a weapons standard effect roll (at 3 per die), then using a "mook" rule of sorts : if SE of a weapon is equal or greater to "Disable rating" of the target, then don't bother rolling damage, just assume the target is disabled or dead. The disable rating would be Body+Def of the target, or hit location, modified by advantages.

A disabling hit would be assumed to destroy the location, leading to decaps, blowing off limbs and the occasional spray of bodyparts as a torso dissassembles.

Yeah, I play in full gore mode.

I'm currently embroiled in Turok:Evolution on my PS2, so I have some immediate game-to-boards thoughts on the matter...

I'm thinking that noting what a weapons standard effect roll (at 3 per die), then using a "mook" rule of sorts : if SE of a weapon is equal or greater to "Disable rating" of the target, then don't bother rolling damage, just assume the target is disabled or dead. The disable rating would be Body+Def of the target, or hit location, modified by advantages.

A disabling hit would be assumed to destroy the location, leading to decaps, blowing off limbs and the occasional spray of bodyparts as a torso dissassembles.

Yeah, I play in full gore mode.

Actually that's a good idea. When I can get the players to go along with it (no you really DON'T have to roll the dice) the game is usually accelerated nicely.

"What kind of artifact is it?"

"Its a clay tablet? What's your archaeology skill?"

"I have it on a 16 or less."

"Never mind-you can put the dice away-let me tell you the intimate history of the tablet."

Same works for that 6d6RKA vs a normal or low level thug. :thumbup:

Actually that's a good idea. When I can get the players to go along with it (no you really DON'T have to roll the dice) the game is usually accelerated nicely.

"What kind of artifact is it?"

"Its a clay tablet? What's your archaeology skill?"

"I have it on a 16 or less."

"Never mind-you can put the dice away-let me tell you the intimate history of the tablet."

Same works for that 6d6RKA vs a normal or low level thug. :thumbup:

The nice thing about this idea for FPS Hero is that it allows you to match thresholds of enemy forces with classes of weapons, and to easily build in the way various weapons interact with various enemies

"Well, Sleg Snipers have 8 Body and 3 Def Body armor with no head protection. So they are Disabled on any location but the Head and Vitals on a 11 Body (Killing) hit, by a 7 Body Vitals hit, or a 4 Body Head hit.

The Pistol is a 2d6 RKA (6 DCs, 6 Body SE Damage), so pistol hits against the Sniper will be conducted normally, unless the head is hit, in which case the Sleg is assumed to be dead.

The Shotgun does 4 1/2d6 Reduced Pen, reduced by range (DC 14) and doesn't have to roll at all unless the target is a ways away...Even with the armor applying twice any hit is considered fatal at close range.

But The Big Slegs are Body 12, with 6 Def armor and 3 Def Helmets. They almost ignore Pistols, and wade through most shotgun blasts (tho a head shot will drop them without a roll at up to 8" range). They are overmatched by the Autofire 5, 3d6 AP Flechette gun.. and so on.

• 4 weeks later...

Ahah! Lo Wang is from the game "Shadow Warrior."

And yes, Marathon was the original Bungie Macintosh game.

No, Pathways into Darkness was the first Bungie Macintosh game. Marathon was the first *good* Bungie Macintosh game :D

And man, we just played the hell out of that game on the network at NIH, back when my reflexes were still L33t. :(

cheers, Mark

No, Pathways into Darkness was the first Bungie Macintosh game. Marathon was the first *good* Bungie Macintosh game :D

And man, we just played the hell out of that game on the network at NIH, back when my reflexes were still L33t. :(

cheers, Mark

*shudder*

Pathways was unplayable....