Stretching Character Advice

Blackout

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, it seems my gaming group will be playing Champions. This, in and of itself, is cause for rejoicing. It's made even better by the fact that I get to play.

Or maybe that makes it worse.

Now I have to decide which of the 8 zillion character concepts that have been floating through my head since the release of FREd I want to develop. At this point I'm leaning towards a streching character. I think I have the obvious power bases covered (shape shift, clairsentience, entangle, etc.), but I'm curious if anyone has some oddball pointers.

Personality-wise, I'm thinking of going with a cross between Reed Richards and Plastic Man.

Thanks!

Guest Keneton

I made a really cool chracter called Flex that I run as my solo character. I don't want to post him, but I will e-mail him to you if youd like. Just select my profile and I will send him too you.

:D

Re: Stretching Character Advice

Originally posted by Blackout

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, it seems my gaming group will be playing Champions. This, in and of itself, is cause for rejoicing. It's made even better by the fact that I get to play.

Now I have to decide which of the 8 zillion character concepts that have been floating through my head since the release of FREd I want to develop. At this point I'm leaning towards a streching character. I think I have the obvious power bases covered (shape shift, clairsentience, entangle, etc.), but I'm curious if anyone has some oddball pointers.

Personality-wise, I'm thinking of going with a cross between Reed Richards and Plastic Man.

Thanks!

You may have already thought of these but:

HTHA... the whip effect

NND.... ever cover your face with seran wrap? No? Just me then...

Clinging...

Re: Stretching Character Advice

Originally posted by Blackout

Thanks!

*Missile Deflection/Relection (catching incoming missles with your stretched body and slingshotting back)

*Damage reduction against blunt physical attacks.

*Superleap (Defined as bouncing)

I made a stretching character once that I never got to play (sigh). I gave him telescopic vision and hearing, and discriminatory smell, all defined as stretching his particular sensory organs. I applied concentrate and END use as limitations. I got the idea from DC's Elongated Man.

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

Don't forget Triggered on your PRE ("I am rubber and you are glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you!"). :)

*POUND* *POUND* *POUND* *POUND*

I can't believe you said that...

WAIT! A new villain duo has just joined the ranks of Hammer and Anvil, Law and Order, Cloak and Dagger and all those other clever duos...

RUBBER and GLUE!

Guest Keneton

Please give me a few good reasons to not buy Strength and strecthing vs. TK! If you think of a few I'd love to hear them. Strength is always the best buy and TK has no action/reaction so we will see which works best!

I can think of very few advantages of doing things your way besides ungodly range.

Guest Keneton

Hope This Works

Well was going to use this guy on Name the Hero, but he is fun for this discussion and totally kicks butt!

:D

Flex

Player: Bob Pennington

Val Char Cost
30/40 STR 20
23 DEX 39
30 CON 40
15 BODY 10
13 INT 3
11 EGO 2
20 PRE 10
12 COM 1
15 PD 9
15 ED 9
5 SPD 17
12 REC 0
60 END 0
45 STUN 0
15" RUN010" SWIM015"/17" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 160

Cost Power END
25 Stretch Enhanced Movement: Multipower, 25-point reserve
2m 1) Bouncing: Leaping +9" (15" / 17" forward, 7 1/2" / 8 1/2" upward) (Accurate) (14 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4) (added to Primary Value) 1
2m 2) Flatten Out: Gliding 15", Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4) (19 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), No Noncombat Movement (-1/4)
2u 3) Grab and Swing: Swinging 15" (Position Shift) (20 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4) 2
2u 4) Long Strides: Running +9", Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4) (25 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4) (added to Primary Value) 2
1u 5) Long Strokes and Flipper Feet: Swimming +8" (10" total) (8 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4) (added to Primary Value) 1
20 Elastic Body: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); STUN (or BODY) Only (-1/2)
9 Elastic Enhanced Fighting: +3 with All Combat (24 Active Points); Limited Power (Power loses about a third of its effectiveness; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Costs END Every Phase; -1/2), Limited Power (Power loses about a third of its effectiveness; -1/2), Limited Power (Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness; -1/4) [Notes: Must place levels all offense or all defense. Must be aware, cannot use levels for Dex rolls, dive for cover, or use of a combat skill.] 2
10 Leverage: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)
6 Shock Absorbant: Knockback Resistance -3"
23 Super Stretching: Stretching 7" (35 Active Points); No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) 3
3 Great For Grabs!: +10 STR (10 Active Points); Limited Power (Power loses about half of its effectiveness; -1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2) (added to Secondary Value) [Notes: Only for grabs exerts and escapes.] 2
5 Tuff Skin: Damage Resistance (5 PD / 5 ED)
3 Weird Physiology: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum)
5 Where's his solar plexis?: Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Normal Defense
Powers Cost: 118

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Flex-Fu
4 1) Big Hand: 1/2 Phase, +3 OCV, +0 DCV, Strike
5 2) Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
4 3) Gimme That: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, Disarm, + 15 STR to Disarm roll
4 4) Heavy Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Strike + 3d6
5 5) Wrap Up: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -2 DCV, Grab Two Limbs + 10 STR for holding on.
Martial Arts Cost: 22

Cost Skill
3 AK: Millennium City (INT-based) 12-
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Climbing 14-
3 Contortionist 14-
3 Power (DEX-based) 14-
3 Sleight Of Hand 14-
3 Stealth 14-
10 Two-Weapon Fighting (HTH)
15 +3 with HTH Combat
Skills Cost: 46

Cost Talent
4 Double Jointed
Talents Cost: 4

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
10 Dependent NPC: Little Brother (12) Stanley Green, Normal, 8- (Infrequently)
20 Hunted: Argent, As Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find
15 Hunted: Organized Crime, Less Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find
15 Hunted: PRIMUS, More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Watching, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing, Common, Total
15 Psychological Limitation: Heroic, Common, Strong
15 Psychological Limitation: Show Off, Common, Strong
15 Social Limitation: Public ID: Travis Green AKA Flex, Frequently (11-), Major
15 Susceptibility: If pushes Stretching, Common, 2d6 damage, Instant
10 Vulnerability: TK Grabs that are area effect or that effect whole object at once., Uncommon, Vulnerability Multiplier (2x STUN)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 5

Experience Unspent: 5

Re: Hope This Works

Originally posted by Keneton

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Flex-Fu
4 1) Big Hand: 1/2 Phase, +3 OCV, +0 DCV, Strike
5 2) Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
4 3) Gimme That: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, Disarm, + 15 STR to Disarm roll
4 4) Heavy Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Strike + 3d6
5 5) Wrap Up: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -2 DCV, Grab Two Limbs + 10 STR for holding on.
Martial Arts Cost: 22

You should submit this to Digital HERO!

Guest Keneton

I already have an upcoming adventure and two other projects going for DH plus an adventure for Star Hero being run at Gen Con so my slate is full. I do think its fun and he really kicks butt on adventures.!

I think a slew of martial arts types akin to brick tricks would make a good article. I will e-mail Mr. Mattingly!

Thanks Supreme!

:)

Originally posted by Keneton

Please give me a few good reasons to not buy Strength and strecthing vs. TK! If you think of a few I'd love to hear them. Strength is always the best buy and TK has no action/reaction so we will see which works best!

I can think of very few advantages of doing things your way besides ungodly range.

You have to buy both Strength and Stretching with stretching while TK includes both (and the range is vastly superior) action reaction is unimportant since Stretching is not a movement power either, in both cases you have to buy that separately.

Guest Keneton

TK Vs. Stretching

In response to TK vs. Stretching lets examine.

--- To generate a 10d6 TK punch requires 50 Str in TK which cost before advantages 75 active points and 7 End.

---If I spend 50 Points on Strength and 25 points on stretching I do have less range but.....

I get +25 Stun

I get +5 Recovery

I get +5 PD

I get all sorts of maneuvers.

I can break out of grabs with my casual Strength.

I dont take a range penalty on my stretching strikes.

I can move things instantly and not be limited to the throwing chart.

I get +5" leaping

Its persistant!

I can use it with a sweep maneuver or a martial maneuver without penalty.

It is naturally fine work less many points.

HA adds to strength not TK

If I push my Strength I get 10 extra. If you push TK you get 8 if there are no advantages.

I can buy rapid attack Hand to Hand but with TK to simulate this youd have to buy HTH and at Range.

My damage close up and at range is the same.

I get velocity unless I take a limitation.

Action Reaction does matter. Can you grab a getaway car and hang on with TK stretching? Can you afford to sweep and take range penalties with TK?

I love the range, but just above you save at least 80 points. You can buy some real advantages to stretching to clean it up for that.

Just my opinion. :)

To be honest, I often buy stretching to simulate TK for ability that have that direct line type style (like grabbing with swinglines and such).

One of the neat things about TK is you can't block it and you can't really missile deflect it by the book. You can also lift heavy stuff without it breaking apart (if your GM enforces those kinds of physics).